Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo PV444 wins 1957 Petit Lemans at Lime Rock!

Views : 85356

Replies : 281

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 6th, 2019, 20:36   #121
Vintagewrench

[QUOTE=blueosprey90;2518299]I don't know if he is on these boards, but David G. was at the VSCCA Driver's School at Lime Rock this weekend. After the school, he managed to find himself in my race. It's hard enough being a brand new driver, but this would have been enough to send me to the nearest bar for a "restorative"

To be honest with you it really did not faze me, because I'm fortunate that I don't get rattled at all (ask my wife if you see her at the track). I saw all of you coming in my mirror and pointed all of you by. I remember seeing the MG go by and then you going thru on the grass.

The lap before was more dramatic when I was the meat in a sandwich and was lapped by two of the race leaders on either side in the very same spot on no name straight.

Found out why the car was way down on power in the race after it was all over. The jet on the rear SU carb stuck in the lowered position when it was choked in the paddock to start it causing the rear two cylinders to be running rich. Murphy's law strikes again.
Vintagewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2019, 02:39   #122
blueosprey90
Master Member

Some of the competition at the Spring Sprints. VSCCA, Lime Rock Park.

Alan Ward, somewhere around a '65 544. This was a new car for him and had a B20 engine. Kept popping off the fan belt.

David Greenlees arriving for the races.

John Scheffelin pays a visit on Saturday morning.

blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blueosprey90 For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2019, 14:44   #123
blueosprey90
Master Member

Seeing the PVs at the race track gave me some impetus to get back to my car.

So last night, I managed to get the rear sound insulation (Hushmat) and carpets and the driver's side seat belt installed. But ran out of energy and the necessary hardware to complete the passenger side belt.

Originally the car did not have seatbelts, the prior owner's two point belts were improperly located and I am going with 3 point belts. So my installation is a bit of a Rube Goldberg. Seems to have worked out pretty well, however.
Old May 16th, 2019, 21:38   #124
blueosprey90
Master Member

Can someone advise?

What is the interior dash trim and the exterior trim on the PV444?

On the interior, the gauge cluster seems to be chrome and on my car is deteriorated with lots of rust coming through. I thought the rest was stainless, but I pulled off a couple of pieces and it appears to tinny for that. Need to figure out a good way to clean it.

Exterior, no clue.
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 15:05   #125
blueosprey90
Master Member

I lent my MGA to Dave Nicholas to race over Memorial Day. His request was unexpected and I had to scramble to get it ready for him. Then I had to scramble to get it ready for my own race weekend last weekend.

But then at the races, I had wheel bearing failure on both front wheels, a bit of overheating as well. So now I'm scrambling to get it ready to race at Thompson. Have to replace the wheel bearings, crack test the spindles (maybe), move the oil cooler, modify a Sebring style front valance and install a different rear end. Have just the few evenings this week to accomplish all of that.

So the Volvo sits forlorn in the garage.

But some photos from the event.

Those are the Volvos of David Greenlees and a fellow named Scott ?? (can't remember, sorry) up from New Jersey.

Next, I thought it was David getting ready to do battle, but he doesn't have his fireproof suit, so maybe just developing his race strategy.

Next, Len Schrader

This next photo of Len at speed is by Robert Rightmyer.

This is Nick Palmieri (sp???) also by Robert Rightmyer.

Last edited by blueosprey90; Jun 5th, 2019 at 15:13.
The Following User Says Thank You to blueosprey90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 12:25   #126
Vintagewrench

[QUOTE=blueosprey90;2526342]

"Those are the Volvos of David Greenlees and a fellow named Scott ?? (can't remember, sorry) up from New Jersey."

My friend Scott's last name is Doering and he is a VP of Parts at Volvo of America. His unrestored Jenson is a 1962 and its fitted w/a Judson supercharger. He will be a new member the VSSCA soon.

[QUOTE=blueosprey90;2526342]

"Next, I thought it was David getting ready to do battle, but he doesn't have his fireproof suit, so maybe just developing his race strategy."

I was checking the secret black notebook of speed for settings to make the '67S go faster and handle better.

A photo and a videos by Scott: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Last edited by Vintagewrench; Jun 6th, 2019 at 12:35.
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 20:27   #127
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

bo90;

...nice pix, especially the action shots...I was actually in the Lime Rock area that day with the family, nice weather and all, but unfortunately we didn't make it to the track...

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2019, 12:57   #128
csm22

LOVE these photos of Volvos on the track...

...beautiful MGA, too.
csm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2019, 13:26   #129
blueosprey90
Master Member

Thanks, Chris.

I'm not sure how to properly link video on this site, but here is some video of that Amazon driven by Len Schrader. Vintagewrench makes a guest appearance at about 12:30.

http://youtu.be/pX_s1ZAGR10

Last edited by blueosprey90; Jun 8th, 2019 at 13:35.
Old Jun 9th, 2019, 13:46   #130
Vintagewrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueosprey90 View Post
Thanks, Chris.

I'm not sure how to properly link video on this site, but here is some video of that Amazon driven by Len Schrader. Vintagewrench makes a guest appearance at about 12:30.

http://youtu.be/pX_s1ZAGR10
You and Len were pretty evening matched in that race, great seeing you again.