Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wanted - 2005 163bhp D5 Auto

Views : 514

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2019, 23:52   #1
guestinlancs

Default Wanted - 2005 163bhp D5 Auto

The car I thought would go for years was smacked by a Peugeot 206 a couple of weeks ago as I gob back after 50 mile commute. Guy just came drifting across road whilst drinking coffee and chatting to his wife while driving!
His was totalled but he hit my front wheel, knackered that and steering and then dragged his crappy little car all the way down side of mine before he stopped. Anyway, its a no fault on my part - glad I put a dashcam in last year; got him bang to rights.
So now I'm looking again. Ideally a 2005, one of the last 163bhp, auto's not the 185. Latter is good, and I speak from experience of having had both but I prefer the economy and don't really need the added oomph. Anyone know of a low mileage (below 100k) good example for sale. It'd be helpful if it was north of b-ham. Search is on now so would appreciate any leads or finds.
By the way - cost of repair: steering rack, spring, wheel, other sundry undercarriage bits, front and rear panel repair, both o/s doors, respray one side = £10k
guestinlancs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2019, 08:10   #2
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, sounds like you know what you want and what to watch out for. I purchased mine two years ago but most of faults were clearly listed, the seller was basically very honest. A rare thing, but you can find them.

I assume you are aware of the big costs, ie gearbox, crankshaft oil seals, AWD issues, all well featured in this forum.

Have you listed in the 'wanted items' and checked the 'for sale' in the forum?

Anyway good luck with your search and let us know how you get on.

John l
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john langrick For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2019, 09:02   #3
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john langrick View Post
Hi, sounds like you know what you want and what to watch out for. I purchased mine two years ago but most of faults were clearly listed, the seller was basically very honest. A rare thing, but you can find them.

I assume you are aware of the big costs, ie gearbox, crankshaft oil seals, AWD issues, all well featured in this forum.

Have you listed in the 'wanted items' and checked the 'for sale' in the forum?

Anyway good luck with your search and let us know how you get on.

John l
I think he’s looking to replace his broken XC90 with an unbroken one.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2019, 09:11   #4
eternal optimist
Master Member

Have you looked on Autotrader? There’s an 05/05 D5 SE with 86k for sale in Yorkshire for £5,399. That looks to be the lowest mileage Euro 3 car on their site.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eternal optimist For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2019, 21:52   #5
guestinlancs

Cheers EO. Well aware, but had good luck with all my past Swedes since 1993. Last four years have been XC90's 163 for 3 years then 185 for last 9 moths until Peugeot picked a fight.
Old May 25th, 2019, 18:48   #6
guestinlancs

Default Wanted XC90, Shopping - It goes on.....

And the shopping for the right XC90 05 continues. Appreciated Eternal Optimist lead via Auto Trader to the garage in York with forecourt 05 80k with price ticket of £5339. Ad read well but the viewing confirmed very poor lacquer on front n/s wing, naff respray to rear n/s passenger door and other cosmetic faults. The front o/s wing didn’t fit well either so, in many respects the long drive was worthwhile reminder not to buy from descriptions and photo’s. I told the seller it wasn’t for me, after noting the body imperfections and really don’t want to get into doing a restoration. In my own view the price was a bit cheeky and the description was lacking the detail that, if confirmed, would mark this car realistically well less than £3k from any seller.

There was another XC90 80k miles advertised in Nottingham on Ebay last week with a same sort of buy it price £8.3k. Car came complete with set of summer and winter tyres and had a description equalling that of immaculate. Rang the guy as I left York and he confirmed it had just been sold. I’m trying to find-out what price he got and will post if I get the detail. Based on the viewing and ask for the York motor, he may well have got very near his asking of £5.3k

Interesting point; have you seen the low mileage £12k+ pre 06 XC90's on Ebay? Really, £12k+? I love em, but would I really pay such money for a car that old. \Regardless of low mileage, the rubber still perishes, seals still go, electrics, sensors, management systems still suffer erosion, etc., etc……dream-on dealers.

Anyway, thanks for the lead ‘OE’ I genuinely appreciated it and I got to spend a cracking day driving around with my lad 

Last edited by guestinlancs; May 25th, 2019 at 20:28. Reason: correct typos
The Following User Says Thank You to guestinlancs For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2019, 23:09   #7
guestinlancs

Default The Nottingham "mint" 2005 XC90 with 84k on clock

Slight typo in my summary above, the price asked in advert for Nottingham XC90 was 2 previous owners, 84k asking £5,400. He sold today and confirmed his car was "mint". He took £4,800. Sounds like someone got a great deal. Advert here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-XC9...sAAOSwDABc2TVZ
Old May 25th, 2019, 23:19   #8
GSTheo119
XC90 tinkerer

I think thats' a high price for a pretty old car. As you say, loads of parts will be reaching their end of life regardless of mileage.
I paid £6k for a 70k '03 about 3 years ago, its been Ok but keeps needing fixes due to age, if I was looking now I'd buy newer but with more (motorway) miles.
GSTheo119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2019, 23:52   #9
guestinlancs

Point taken GS Theo. I did the same last year, gave-up the old 04 and went for a newer, lower mileage 06, but the added £200 road tax and increased premium for the latter sort of puts me off a newer model again. £4800 does seem a lot, but compared to the shed I saw today with the £5,399 ticket, it represents the best price for an 84k 05. I never had any problem with the later XC90 in the year and 20k miles I did, not a peep. The 04 cost me £3.5 and it did me 50k in 2 years but I probably spent another £1k in parts and repairs and service in that time. Seems we have a lot in common, I was always tinkering with or sorting niggle but they do endear themselves to owners, when they run well, there a great car and that why we all probably become so loyal to the brand. I've been fortunate, never had a major mechanical (gearbox, etc.) problem but one of those would probably put me off for a while.
Old May 30th, 2019, 15:22   #10
dwaine dibbley

Did you find a car?

I’ve been deliberating whether to contact you, mine is probably for sale. Have sent you a PM.

Brief summary;

XC90, 2004, 163bhp, only 69k miles, every single receipt etc, and all old MOTS, only ever run on V Power fuel in my ownership, only Volvo genuine parts used, all belts changed every few years, gearbox oil changed, definitely “over” serviced, Silver, winter pack, black leather, genuine Volvo front bumper over rider/ rear bumper skid plate/ chrome trim above rear No plate-handle, polished exhaust tips. Ive owned it for 10 years, lovely, lovely condition, I could go on for a while.
I live in Warrington, so not too far from you.

Price £4300. You would have to look for a long time to find one this nice with such low miles.

Not advertised anywhere yet, will compose a proper ad’ at weekend.

Please contact me for more info.

Thanks.
dwaine dibbley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
xc90 wanted low mileage