Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ABS / Brake Failure light & message

Views : 1838

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 22nd, 2019, 22:03   #11
Wilse

Please may I apologise for coming across rude and unappreciative.

I wholly understand that investing in a Vida would be ideal step towards a solution, but at this time, i do not have the spare funds to purchase both a Dice and a laptop with compatability to run it. Or the time to purchase, install, build a working knowledge of and then put to use finding possible parts or solutions.

The vehicle is in use daily for work, and i do not have alternative transport or facility to have it off the road for any period of time. As I am sure you will appreciate, Red dash Warnings are serious stuff which I need to fix, as Icannot afford to sell it as it is in it's defective state and take a huge loss on it.

sorry for the curt reply earlier
Old May 25th, 2019, 22:30   #12
Father Ted
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
If you see nothing obvious than follow the diagnostic procedure given in VIDA

An osilloscope is worth more than an entire toolbox when dealing with ABS signal issues
Hi Swiss.
I suspect I have an issue with N/S front reluctor ring, not started trcing it yet as it is intermittent and (until today) hasn't caused any issues. However, today, I got the ABS warning light and Anti Skid disabled message.

I haven't read the codes yet but I do have access to a scope and think I can remember how to use one (been about 30 years!).
What would i be looking for? Would it be a voltage change as the teeth pass the sensor?
Old May 26th, 2019, 10:29   #13
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Ted View Post
Hi Swiss.
I suspect I have an issue with N/S front reluctor ring, not started trcing it yet as it is intermittent and (until today) hasn't caused any issues. However, today, I got the ABS warning light and Anti Skid disabled message.

I haven't read the codes yet but I do have access to a scope and think I can remember how to use one (been about 30 years!).
What would i be looking for? Would it be a voltage change as the teeth pass the sensor?
Yes, the ABS sensor puts out pulses in time with the teeth of the reluctor ring
Not necessarily large pulse, don-t expect anything above 5V.
Maybe only a couple of volts.
But pulses that you can see.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2019, 14:14   #14
binty

Default Could be DEM

Hi when I had similar messages it was diagnosed eventually as the DEM.
However the sequence of starting with an abs warning and moving to
Limp mode could be many things.
Initially the dealer reloaded the software, cost about £50 plus a very small labour charge. This cured it for about 6 months then it returned but worse this time and it was the DEM that had failed. Considered buying a second hand one but the thought of paying out hundreds for a 10 year old DEM them paying to have it coded up and with no guarantees didn’t sit well, so bit the bullet and had a new one (£1200 ouch). That was 4 years ago and no issues since so happy they diagnosed correctly.
For info the dealer spent 5 hours on diagnosis before being certain it was the DEM, fortunately no charge as they did the work and the labour for fitting the DEM was just one hour.
Mercedes SLK 250d 9G auto AMG line (Black)
Previous Volvos C30 Rdesign 2.0D (black), C30 Rdesign 1.6D (black), S60 T5 (black)
binty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 08:59   #15
tonygreen1966

I had similar problems a couple of years back and diagnosed with Vida.(I also recommend Cheshired5 – great deal and great support). I had both ‘faulty signal’ and ‘mechanical error’ on my o/s rear. The faulty signal disappeared after changing the sensor and the mechanical error disappeared after changing the wheel bearing(which contains the reluctor/ABS ring). Don’t buy a cheap rear wheel bearing of ebay etc – many horror stories on here about them lasting only months. Read some of the posts on here about rear wheel bearings – I think eurocarparts do a couple of good ones (use the discount code on the website). I had the DEM error also – in fact your probably best fixing this first- that’s what I done. Could be a loose connector or corroded wires on the DEM harness but more likely the DEM itself is cuffed. ‘Volvo Diagnostics’ can probably fix it for about £140 – the company owner Lukas is a member on this forum. He fixed mine – no probs. After the DEM was fixed and the sensor and bearing (ABS ring) were changed Vida could clear the codes and all was fine. DEM can be hard to remove due to seized screw so be careful. Good luck.
tonygreen1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tonygreen1966 For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2019, 16:19   #16
Father Ted
Master Member

Found the fault today...I think.
Removed sensor and, with the aid of an inspection camera, checked the ring. And...found it is split.
So I've ordered a new one on ebay and doused all associated bolts with plus gas ready for next weekend.

As for ebay parts.....well, I'm not so convinced as others seem to be. I don't choose the cheapest, but, for example and in answer to the post above, I did buy an Ebay wheel bearing last year (Off side front) for £60.
Since fitting it I've been to Aachen and back (from Merseyside), fully laden, with a caravan on. I've been to Eurodisney and back (no caravan this time), numerous Uni visits around the country and general running around. No issues at all.
I know some are made of plasticine, but I think there is a point where the extra outlay doesn't really gain any extra value.