Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2015 S60 D4 EGR cooler replaced now in limp mode

Views : 1331

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 12th, 2019, 21:29   #1
DropThePuck

Default 2015 S60 D4 EGR cooler replaced now in limp mode

Hello. Just a bit stressed. Have been having the dreaded check engine light coming on and also the message to add half litre oil. Went to the dealer who said most likely EGR valve and/or cooler and that Volvo would cover despite having 103,000 miles. This past Wednesday they replaced the cooler, saying that it was completely clogged up. It was paid for 100%. The difference in power and fuel economy was very noticeable, in a good way.
This morning I noticed a slight hesitation on acceleration, but I thought I was just imagining it. Driving home the car went into Turtle mode, which it has never done before. I made it home and managed to call the dealer, who understandably want the car back. They thought I have Volvo Assist, but I don't. AA say they will come out but will try to fix, but Volvo don't want them touching it.
So, firstly any ideas what could have happened? Secondly, can I drive the 20 miles back to the dealer in limp mode?
Thank you in advance for any help.
DropThePuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 15:17   #2
DropThePuck

Bit the bullet, and drove back to the dealer this morning. Engine was running very rough, and cut out on the driveway, but after a few miles came out of limp mode. Plugged into Vida and showed a problem with an oxygen sensor. Evidently, some remaining soot in the EGR system had blown through, and coated the sensor. Fingers crossed, that's it.
The Following User Says Thank You to DropThePuck For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 12:26   #3
D4dilemma

Hopefully this is correct in your case but hesitation at low revs is a key indicator of the inlet valve blockage caused by "burnt on" EGR valve gunge running through the engine. Dealers test for it with a compression test. Mine (on a 2014 V60 D4) cost £4,000 with blocked manifold etc as well. All due to due the inherent EGR fault on that engine and apparent failure of the claimed permanent cooler and pipework related fix applied to many cars. The current Fire Risk recall is clearly also EGR related as was an apparently almost identical one on BMWs. The wording of Volvo's Recall Notice is arguably not the whole truth!
Honest John of the award winning motoring website is currently asking Volvo critical EGR etc related questions and asks for owners to email him on "letters@honestjohn.co.uk" with details. 200 words max please he asks.
D4dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 14:22   #4
SeaShell

My 2015 D4 V60 is going this Wednesday to have the cylinder head removed and the valves reseated. It's also getting a new EGR cooler.
The inlet manifold was replaced a few weeks ago.

Car suffered all the symptoms as outlined previously in all the various threads!
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 15:53   #5
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaShell View Post
My 2015 D4 V60 is going this Wednesday to have the cylinder head removed and the valves reseated. It's also getting a new EGR cooler.
The inlet manifold was replaced a few weeks ago.

Car suffered all the symptoms as outlined previously in all the various threads!
I am rather getting the feeling that those of us with VEA engines are living on borrowed time! As I do not do any town work and tow a lot of the time my engine works hard which might help but it is probably just delaying the onset of problems. My two classics which I nurse along have proved by comparison to be paragons of virtue! But then again, as I look back over years they are in fact simply automotive versions of Triggers Broom.
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 16:42   #6
SeaShell

I only really do town driving now, so even when the repairs are carried out I'm concerned the problem will come back. My car had done approx 22k per year before I bought it at three years old. I imagine it was not all town driving either.

I also made sure that the EGR fix had been done before I bought it, believing it was the permanent fix, but unfortunately not.

If the repairs get me another 60 or 70k then I'll be happy enough as by then the car will only be worth a couple thousand pounds by then..in fact at the moment it's only worth about £5,700 trade.

Other than that it's a great car!
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 20:04   #7
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaShell View Post
I only really do town driving now, so even when the repairs are carried out I'm concerned the problem will come back. My car had done approx 22k per year before I bought it at three years old. I imagine it was not all town driving either.

I also made sure that the EGR fix had been done before I bought it, believing it was the permanent fix, but unfortunately not.

If the repairs get me another 60 or 70k then I'll be happy enough as by then the car will only be worth a couple thousand pounds by then..in fact at the moment it's only worth about £5,700 trade.

Other than that it's a great car!
Been good for me to date apart from blocking tread so need to change the tyre tread pattern next time. I do however whole heartedly recommend the Triumph Vitesse 2Ltr Mk2 Convertible when you do change!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 20:05   #8
Toprivetguns

Long live the D5 2.4 !

Really feel for those with issues on the VEA engine. I dread to think of those less inclined to research a car before purchase and solely rely on the good nature of the brand and heritage, then one day all this occurs.

Hopefully its only the oxy sensor and no more.
Toprivetguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2019, 20:01   #9
DropThePuck

After going into limp mode for a second time after having the cooler pipe replaced, I took it back, they gave me a courtesy V40, and eventually found a metal tube - not sure what it's called but about 4mm thick, which was before the EGR. As the EGR cooler was so blocked up, the back pressure blew a hole through the tube. It looked like a .22 bullet hole.
To be fair to the dealer, I didn't pay a penny for any of these repairs, so full marks to Marshall Volvo in Milton Keynes for persisting.
However, I am starting to lose a little faith in the D4 engine, wondering if something like this will happen again. I have been looking to trade in for a Merc C Class, but the trade in value on a 2015 D4 is low at £4,200
Old Aug 12th, 2019, 10:18   #10
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropThePuck View Post
...However, I am starting to lose a little faith in the D4 engine, wondering if something like this will happen again. I have been looking to trade in for a Merc C Class, but the trade in value on a 2015 D4 is low at £4,200
Ouch!

Might just be the way that MB do business, however I've long had concerns about how the long-running (and widely known) VEA diesel EGR problems might impact on secondhand values... now there's a massive safety recall (with no actual fix!) it obviously does make these cars very unattractive to secondhand buyers.