Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Squeaking noise whilst idling

Views : 5611

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 6th, 2014, 19:53   #1
skv70d5

Default Squeaking noise whilst idling

Hello all,

At idle, there is a squeaking noise coming from the auxiliary drive belt area.

A Volvo dealer says that its the pulley wheel attached to the alternator; however, after removing the aux drive belt, none of the five wheels make any noise when I turn them.

I have noticed that the wheel attached to the AC compressor stops and starts, which is probably due to the AC adjusting the temp.

The aux drive belt does seem to have a lot of play in it when the engine is running, and seems to twist slightly too.

Could this noise simply be the aux drive belt being too stretched over time, preventing the tensioner from maintaining the correct tension when the engine is idling?
skv70d5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2014, 20:02   #2
pphilpot
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skv70d5 View Post
The aux drive belt does seem to have a lot of play in it when the engine is running, and seems to twist slightly to.
This does't sound right - the aux belt should be tight and true when running.
pphilpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2014, 20:04   #3
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

you need to check the alternator pulley, it has a one way bearing inside, to do this you need to lock the alternator and then spin the pulley, Its easy to replace and requires a 33 spline alternator tool from ebay to remove. You can also buy the pulley from ebay for 32 pounds and you get a INA pulley without the Volvo price tag as its the same pulley from Volvo.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2014, 20:10   #4
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pphilpot View Post
This does't sound right - the aux belt should be tight and true when running.
this most definitely sounds like your alternator pulley has failed then

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 22:54   #5
D5meister
Premier Member

"aux drive belt does seem to have a lot of play in it when the engine is running, and seems to twist slightly too."

This can be the alternator freewheel - if it is mis behaving then the belt can physically waggle about in use. more so on diesels due to the severe detonation accelleration of crank pulley

Could this noise simply be the aux drive belt being too stretched over time, preventing the tensioner from maintaining the correct tension when the engine is idling?

They dont stretch.
The Tensioner is sprung and will always be set right.

Turn the a/c off and see if squeals with a/c off - to rule out a/c
D5meister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D5meister For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 23:22   #6
Lancee
Premier Member

Ditto alternator pulley.
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 10:43   #7
Brendan W
Premier Member

Ditto ditto......
There are a few tests you can do such as flicking the pulley etc but they are inconclusive in the sense that if it is free in one direction that doesn't mean it's ok. Comparison with a new unit shows that there is 'free' and then there is 'free'.
The belt should run true and smooth at idle. A barely perceptible movement of the tensioner pulley is ok but if you can see jumping without having to peer at it it's time to replace the freewheel pulley.
They aren't a scheduled replacement item. I think they should be , at or before a timing belt change. Typically the manufacturers of these items quote a service life in the region of 80 thousand miles
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 19:22   #8
skv70d5

Thanks guys, as you have confirmed what the Volvo dealer has said.

Looks like I will be removing my alternator in order to renew this free pulley wheel then, as Volvo wants €100 for the part and at least €200 for labour.

I just hope I can find that tool quite cheap, as it will most likely end up being a one-off use unless it can be used on all cars???
skv70d5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 20:06   #9
Brendan W
Premier Member

I carried mine to the local auto electrical repair shop. Starters,alternators etc. The INA part was there at 80 Euro. I had brought my own new part from Volvo ( a bit more than the 80) and he fitted it for free in five minutes chatting over the counter.
They're not all like that obvoiusly, point being I didn't get yet another special tool and he gave the alternator the once over when I was there.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 21:37   #10
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skv70d5 View Post
Thanks guys, as you have confirmed what the Volvo dealer has said.

Looks like I will be removing my alternator in order to renew this free pulley wheel then, as Volvo wants €100 for the part and at least €200 for labour.

I just hope I can find that tool quite cheap, as it will most likely end up being a one-off use unless it can be used on all cars???
The tools are easy enough to use and the 33 spline is a pretty common industry standard.
I'd chewed my old tool though so when I bought my genuine Volvo pulley, I took in my alternator to the parts counter and they replaced it within the price which was about £75 so the same cost as a good oem pulley+the tool.