Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Which display do you favour?

Views : 27849

Replies : 74

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Which display do you use
Chrome rings 114 29.69%
Glass 79 20.57%
Sport 84 21.88%
Minimalist 107 27.86%
Voters: 384. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 29th, 2019, 16:29   #41
AB-UK
Premier Member

Just in case anyone feels I was being a little mean toward volvocat, it wasn't the intention.
It was a dig at Volvo's rather dull "range" of colours, which includes 6 shades of gray at the last count.

Where are the greens, yellows/gold etc. of past Volvos?
AB-UK is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AB-UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 13:55   #42
volvocat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
Just in case anyone feels I was being a little mean toward volvocat, it wasn't the intention.
It was a dig at Volvo's rather dull "range" of colours, which includes 6 shades of gray at the last count.

Where are the greens, yellows/gold etc. of past Volvos?
Ha-ha! No worries, I got the sarcasm!
Yes, how strange that buyers of current Volvos dare to want something other than 10 shades of grey?
I’ve already had a rant about this somewhere on this forum.
I get the under-stated, subtle, classy Scandinavian design ethos thing, but ffs, surely that can include a few tasteful brighter colours??
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 19:48   #43
vman99
Estateman

Default Fusion Red 725

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvocat View Post
Ha-ha! No worries, I got the sarcasm!
Yes, how strange that buyers of current Volvos dare to want something other than 10 shades of grey?
I’ve already had a rant about this somewhere on this forum.
I get the under-stated, subtle, classy Scandinavian design ethos thing, but ffs, surely that can include a few tasteful brighter colours??
Hi volvocat, I agree the colour range is very poor, like BMW, Mercedes and Audi.

Looking at the colour chart when ordering my car, the Fusion Red stood out, so I ordered one in that colour. It may not have been my first choice if other colours had been available - shame.

Pete.

Last edited by vman99; Jul 2nd, 2019 at 19:49. Reason: typo
vman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 02:06   #44
volvocat

At least you had that option - Fusion Red’s one of the few exciting colours but sadly not available across the range, certainly not on any 90s.
Maybe they think the bigger cars/AWDs are too ‘grown up’ for bright colours...
Yet I was able to order my 2011 XC70 in Flamenco Red which looked superb.
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 17:18   #45
AB-UK
Premier Member

When the Q7 was sold a couple of years ago, the Audi configurator offered a personal range of colours, for an additional cost of around £2k.
A shame Volvo don't do this - it only involves programming the colour into the paint shop computer - hardly rocket science.

Halfords do this already when you buy a can of paint for scratch repairs.
Old Jul 16th, 2019, 21:49   #46
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
When the Q7 was sold a couple of years ago, the Audi configurator offered a personal range of colours, for an additional cost of around £2k.
A shame Volvo don't do this - it only involves programming the colour into the paint shop computer - hardly rocket science.
There's a heck of a lot more to it than that. Paint is bought and stored on site in big bulk vats of about 5000 litres per colour, and the number of colours available often depends on the number of vats available to feed the spray guns. Also the guns need cleaning between colours.
There may be other limitations in older and less well equipped paint shops that makes them unable to cope with more than one colour per car. It takes rather sophisticated techniques and equipment to, for instance, paint a car blue but paint its roof and some pillars black. Some factories are geared up for this [I suspect that the XC40 factory is] and some are not [60 and 90 series in Sweden].
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 09:20   #47
tanujdua

I use glass, it's the default when I got my car and I just find it weird to switch at this point!
Old Jul 26th, 2019, 00:07   #48
Rustyfrog
Grumpy Pond Dweller

I drove an R Design on a demo and it had a blue coloured display.

It was a little disappointing to find that after I had bought my Inscription a blue display was not included.

I think after trying those I have available on my car, I seem to have settled on the chrome rings.

.................................................. ..
I thought that growing old would take a little longer
Rustyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 17:03   #49
AB-UK
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
There's a heck of a lot more to it than that.
I'm sure there is, but it isn't insurmountable - Audi offered a choice of bespoke colours (quite a wide range).
Premium marques such as Bentley offer a wider range than did Audi.

I wouldn't mind spending an additional £2k (which was Audi's price) for a colour of my choice than say £3k for the B&W upgrade.

That is cheaper than the £4.5k + VAT it would cost for the XC90 to be wrapped (I got a quote from "Yanni").
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 19:20   #50
St Evelyn
VOC Member

Quote:
That is cheaper than the £4.5k + VAT it would cost for the XC90 to be wrapped (I got a quote from "Yanni").
That's interesting, I'd always wondered how much a wrap costs - that's a lot of money from my perspective, but clearly loose change for the multi-millionaires you see him with on his TV show.
I presume his prices are at the high end of the market, with much cheaper solutions being available elsewhere, so perhaps a less well known wrapper would do it for, what, 1/3-1/2 of that price..? Still more than I'd spend, but certainly a lot cheaper than changing a car that you're otherwise happy with just because you fancy a change of colour.

Current - 2017 V90 D4 Inscription
Previous - 2011 S80 D3
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote