Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Simple question re trim removal.

Views : 612

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 11th, 2019, 10:42   #1
sleek lemur

Default Simple question re trim removal.

Anyone tell me how to remove the trim in the footwells, so I can get access to the internals of the wing? I need to fit new interior light switches and door checks.

Thanks in advance!
sleek lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 15:16   #2
c1800
Master Member

There is a splash panel under the wing which is held on by several screws, likely covered in the tar like rustproofing, remove those and you’ll have access.
Best to replace the rubber seal while you’re at it.
You may find a lot of mud, debris in there, hopefully not some rust and rot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B019AAFE-5035-4D7A-B7F9-0D1F2F6E1A13.jpeg (27.8 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by c1800; Jul 11th, 2019 at 15:39.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 18:35   #3
sleek lemur

Brilliant, C1800. Many thanks and also for th tip re the rubber sealing strip. Good plan.
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 20:18   #4
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1800 View Post
There is a splash panel under the wing which is held on by several screws, likely covered in the tar like rustproofing, remove those and you’ll have access.
Best to replace the rubber seal while you’re at it.
You may find a lot of mud, debris in there, hopefully not some rust and rot.
You need to gain access from inside the car the wire feeds from inside at the top of A Pilar then feeds internally down and to the back of the door switch pull the switch out fit the new one and pop bk in , rather than from up under the wings

Kind regards
Robert.w
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EEDABDF9-5F76-47FA-AEDC-3A3C698DC17A.jpeg (161.9 KB, 8 views)

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !

Last edited by 123GT-AMAZON; Jul 11th, 2019 at 20:23.
123GT-AMAZON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 04:24   #5
c1800
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123GT-AMAZON View Post
You need to gain access from inside the car the wire feeds from inside at the top of A Pilar then feeds internally down and to the back of the door switch pull the switch out fit the new one and pop bk in , rather than from up under the wings

Kind regards
Robert.w
If it’s just the door switch then that works. The door checks, I believe, is another matter, may require the removal of the door, but I haven’t tackled mine yet. Just recall reading a number of posts on the topic.

As to the splash panels, it’s a good idea to remove and see what’s going on in there, and do any necessary cleaning and rust abatement.
The Following User Says Thank You to c1800 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 21:26   #6
cassell
Member since 1988

Exactly as Robert has said for courtesy light switches, the wiring is behind the kick trim panel which is simply held by spring clips to the car body. Once removed with a decent trim tool you will then see the black earth wire which feeds down to the switch. Unscrew the switch from the A pillar and pull off the feed wire, as a tip, remove the fuse or disconnect the battery to prevent your interior light doing a merry dance if the connector touches the body (which it will!).

Door check straps need to be inserted into the leading door edge with the door removed. Sadly it doesn't open wide enough to insert them with the door in place.
However, a cheat procedure is to slightly bend/bow the new check strap so that it can be inserted into the open door edge and then re-straighten it to align it with the A pillar mounting point. It's fiddly and quite hard but can be done with some brute force and a couple of pairs of mole grips.

Last edited by cassell; Jul 14th, 2019 at 21:53.
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 22:19   #7
sleek lemur

Thank you all for these comments. Really appreciate the time you take to help me with all my questions!

Re the interior trim panels, there just pop out with a lever-type tool be hind, yes? Don't want to damage them by experimenting!

Re door checks. There seems to be some controversy over whether I need to remove the splash panels....
The Following User Says Thank You to sleek lemur For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 08:50   #8
c1800
Master Member

I stand corrected, no need to remove the splash panels for access to the door switch and check, I was off course after keying on internals to the wing.

Let us know how you make out, and good luck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c1800 For This Useful Post: