Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Small turning circle with 205 winter tyres

Views : 24878

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 27th, 2010, 10:54   #11
Bill_56
Premier Member

It's possible that the Volvo engineers find good technical reasons why different tyres widths benefit form different steering offsets, and so they change the wheel offset to achieve optimum steering for each wheel size.

Another possibility is that the Volvo stylists demand that the 'sightline' down the car should be similar, regardless of wheel fitment, hence the wheel offset needs to be modified to achieve the right 'look', even though it requires the steering offset to be compromised.

If it's the latter, then it would appear that Volvo condone/approve a 6mm reduction in offset when 16 inch wheels are fitted, relative to offset of factory-fitted 17 inch wheels. In which case who knows, the may even condone additional reductions, making it safer to experiments (with Insurers' approval)?

My Haynes manual doesn't seem to mention it so I wonder if anybody with a bootleg copy of Vadis from ebay could confirm whether it includes datasheets that might put actual numbers, or a range of numbers, on the factory steering offsets (as opposed to wheel offsets, which we already know)?
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 12:20   #12
Jim314
Premier Member

Could you define 'steering offset'?
Jim314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 12:43   #13
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim314 View Post
Could you define 'steering offset'?
I'm not a professional vehicle engineer, and somebody who is may correct me, but my understanding is....

...It is the lateral distance between the centre of the tyre, and the point at which an extrapolation of the steering inclination axis or 'kingping angle' intersects with the road surface.

If the kingpin angle intersects 'outside' the tyre's centre line it is known as 'negative offset', and conversely for positive offset.
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 18:33   #14
Jim314
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_56 View Post
I'm not a professional vehicle engineer, and somebody who is may correct me, but my understanding is....

...It is the lateral distance between the centre of the tyre, and the point at which an extrapolation of the steering inclination axis or 'kingping angle' intersects with the road surface.

If the kingpin angle intersects 'outside' the tyre's centre line it is known as 'negative offset', and conversely for positive offset.
So there would be a formula which determines 'kingpin angle' using caster, camber, toe. Then another formula using kingpin angle, wheel size and offset (including a spacer if any), and offset due to the dimensions of the hub would give the steering offset. I wonder if Vadis would give that or would it be proprietary?
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 19:17   #15
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim314 View Post
So there would be a formula which determines 'kingpin angle' using caster, camber, toe. Then another formula using kingpin angle, wheel size and offset (including a spacer if any), and offset due to the dimensions of the hub would give the steering offset. I wonder if Vadis would give that or would it be proprietary?
I'm not sure what you mean by the first part of that, as I don't think kingpin angle is directly related to camber or toe.

I've been trying to find a picture and one thing that crops up is my expression 'steering offset' is also known as 'scrub radius'. googling for the latter may yield more hits. Meanwhile, there's a reasonable picture here which illustrates zero-offset as well as describing negative & positive (hope this link works)...

http://moodle.student.cnwl.ac.uk/moo...rubradius.html

Note the above link defined +ve & -ve offset in terms of whether steering axis (also known as kingpin angle) intersects the tyre's midline above or below the road surface, which is different way of describing it, but I think amounts to the same as my own definition.

Last edited by Bill_56; Nov 27th, 2010 at 19:20.
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 22:48   #16
Gazdok
Master Member

Just to clarify things, this is a picture of where the steering lock limiter would normally be, whether it is white , black or blue.

I took the limiter off COMPLETELY. There is no metal on metal scraping now.
The car's turning circle is miraculously small now.

Yes with 12mm spacers I have redudced my offset with 6.5" wheels to 31mm and with 7.5" wheels to 37mm.
Steering forces do not seem to have increased.
Tramlining is the same as before.

The insurance company was told and they did NOT want to know.
Gazdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 00:19   #17
Jim314
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazdok View Post
Just to clarify things, this is a picture of where the steering lock limiter would normally be, whether it is white , black or blue.

I took the limiter off COMPLETELY. There is no metal on metal scraping now.
The car's turning circle is miraculously small now.

Yes with 12mm spacers I have redudced my offset with 6.5" wheels to 31mm and with 7.5" wheels to 37mm.
Steering forces do not seem to have increased.
Tramlining is the same as before.
The insurance company was told and they did NOT want to know.
Yikes! Why do you think Volvo has a blue color coded limiter pad at that location even with the skinny 195/65-15 tyres on small skinny wheels with a 43 mm offset?

Don't you think that for some good reason Volvo wants the wheels to only turn as far as it can with the peg contacting the thinnest limiter? Don't you think that it is possible that Volvo's reason is that turning the wheels to a sharper angle may cause damage (or at least accelerated wear) to some expensive parts?

My guesses are (1) the steering gear and (2) the outer CV joints.

From my lofty pinnacle of 66 years of age I advise you to put the thinnest steering limiters (blue color coded) back on there.

What wheels and tyres are you using?
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 13:37   #18
owyn
Premier Member

Hmmm, this is interesting!
It would be interesting to find out how you go on with a limiter-less setup. I have no doubt there will be a safety device built into the steering rack to stop damaging movement in there.

Please keep us posted on how you go on with regards to feel, handling, tyre wear and any changes in your steering hardware.

the turning circle on these things is atrocious!
owyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 13:55   #19
Jim314
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazdok View Post
I have fitted my winter tyres again this week as the weatherman predicts snow. We will probably not get any anyway.

I read on a german Volvo forum that if you fit 205 tyres you can take off the stupid steering lock limiter completely. They were correct!!!!

I did just that and suddenly, for the first time, I would describe the turning circle of our V70 AWD as just that - a turning circle - and not an Orbit.

There is no scraping of tyres, but having said this I am also using 12mm wheel spacers so I can run the fat 225ers with a smaller steering limiter.
I turned full lock and could throw a brick through the gap between wheel and arch.
Volvo have gotten a lot of criticism for their large turning circle. I owned a 1996 base model 855 (i.e., an 850 wagon with I think 195/60-15 tyres on steel wheels) and now own a 2004 V70 with the blue steering limiter and 195/65-15 tyres on Saurus alloy wheels. I think the turning circle of the '04 V70 is significantly larger than that of the '96 850. Irritatingly and inconveniently larger!

But since Volvo always got a lot of criticism for this I have always assumed that Volvo must have had a reason for this. I have always assumed that Volvo accepted this deficiency in order to achieve other goals like reduced cost, increased safety . . .

Your experience has made me wonder how Volvo arrived at the specifications for the steering limiter pads.

Does this German Volvo site you reference cater to those with reasonably cautious opinions or would one find advocates of reckless tinkering to, for example, give a Volvo the same turning circle as that of a BMW or a Mercedes?