Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

blank radio display xc90

Views : 38935

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2009, 20:34   #1
mike8386

Default blank radio display xc90

hi all, a couple of days ago my 2004 xc90's radio display went off, and hasnt come back on. the radio sand cd player still works fine, as does the steering wheel controls. could it be a fuse?bulb? if so, where do i locate them? ive heard rumours it could cost as much as £2000 to get sorted at a main dealer....please say it isnt so. any help much much appreciated
mike8386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 20:42   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

you really need the help of your dealer here with this fibre optic system , it may just be a software needed but the codes will need to be acted upon ..
Old May 9th, 2009, 17:01   #3
elliott2
Trader

Default radio repair

Hi would need to know the serial number but I may be able to get this repaired for you if it was not a software issue, Peter
elliott2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 06:44   #4
alexlouislisa

Smile xc90 infotainment control module

Had same problem with display on my 03 xc90.Told by volvo that the ICM was toast and needed replacing at a cost of £850.Bought one from a salvage yard for £100 and it works no problems.NO CODING OR SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD.
alexlouislisa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alexlouislisa For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 13:43   #5
MartinXC90
Volvo enthusiast

Default XC90 radio blank

Hi,

I have the same issue and very affraid about the cost of repair...

Everything was OK, and I have not noticed any issues. Just yesterday I wanted to turn the radio on, and the display remains blank. Analysing so far, the radio doesn't completely work, nor the CD (CD is inside, but it will not start to play; I cannot eject the CD anyway). But I can enter a menu to Radio or CD menu. If I turn the volume knob, it shows the "volume bar" empty (like if you set the minimum), even if turn it the way for higher volume.
I can enter a FM/AM band menu as well, but no change, no sound, nothing on display. Carphone doesn't work at all (not even a menu).
Parking sensors are not working at all, too.
:-((((((((((

I found that if the knobs on ICM are lighting, the ICM has elecric power (if they don't, the fuse or ground is cut). My knobs are lighting.

I will be very thankfull for any ideas how to solve it (without buying new ICM for € 1000).

Martin
MartinXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 22:05   #6
NCS XC90

Had this intermittently happening to me. Blank radio, no phone, parking sensors etc. Thought I was in for some serious cost. I checked the fuses (located in the dash, drivers side). When I checked I found there was no fuse in the “phone” position. I put this in and checked all the rest (there were others in the wrong position as well) and never had a problem since. I really have no idea what someone had done but they obviously could not follow a simple drawing of fuses and fuse positions. There were fuses in positions for accessories the car does not have and this missing? I guess you will be lucky to have the same person fiddling with the fuses in your car but my point is that my system would work 95%+ of the time even with a fuse missing. For the times it failed it wasn’t just the phone that stopped it was everything associated. So I would check the fuses for all the items not working and hope it’s that simple. Sorry for the long explanation but wanted to explain why I would do this.
Neil
NCS XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2010, 01:26   #7
andy.coveney
AndyC

Hi Im having same problem with display on a 2003 XC90 D5 SE except that the display goes blank for c 90% of the time then somewhat randomly reappears when it feels like it! Meanwhile, radio, CD, park assist all work perfectly all the time.

Im certainly not in the market to spend a crazy £850. Will look for salvage but wonder if theres not a simpler and cheaper solution as i wonder if its just a loose connection. Elliot2 - have you managed to sort this problem for anyone ?

All contributions gratefully received

PS Just joined forum - finding it v useful. On balance have owned car from new and its been the best family car we've ever had! Wouldnt swap it !

Last edited by andy.coveney; Sep 17th, 2010 at 01:29.
andy.coveney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2010, 07:05   #8
newrangerfamily

I have exactly the same problem. Mine is a 2004 XC90 D5 SE. Had the car a year now and almost from day one the radio would have a mad minute or so where it would jump uncontrollably from station to station before settling down. Now the display is totally blank.

I can get hold of a second hand unit for £175 but my local Volvo dealer says that only the original radio or a virgin unit can be fitted a total cost of £950 !!!!

I am so unhappy about this, I have never had a car, even a cheap nasty car, where the radio stopped working, even if it had of done it would have been easy and cheap to replace.

Volvo should not be allowed to bury their head in the sand and not help out as there are now too many XC90 owners with this problem.

Any suggestions gratefully received
newrangerfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 18:51   #9
Karma Police

Default Something to check

I've managed to fix my ICM by replacing a burnt MOSFET transistor (2SK2503) on the PCB. See the attached picture highlighting the failed transistor.

It's fairly easy to get to the PCB. There are some instructions on the WEB but if you need any help along the way, just let me know.

Cheers,
Jay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5825.jpg (125.0 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5828_1.jpg (218.7 KB, 170 views)
Karma Police is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Karma Police For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 07:36   #10
andreasb

Hey Karma Police! Thanks for your instructions. I want to try this myself, as I still have my old ICM with a dead display here... But... Do you have a good source for buying these transistors? Most sites want to sell you like a thousand pcs, and I would really just like a few

Thanks