Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

blank radio display xc90

Views : 39037

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 7th, 2012, 12:41   #21
dd1898

My display failed on Sunday. I have a 2004 XC90 D5 SE. The radio display was blank but came up with the initial 'Premium sound system' message when first turned on, turning the volume dial or using the steering wheel control only showed a blank volume bar.

The phone and cd player still worked, was panicking for the half hour drive we had thinking it was going to be another costly repir but when I got to where I was I turned the engine off then back on and all was fine. Phew.
dd1898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 16:00   #22
cbotd

Default Thanks but still no go

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowleyd3 View Post
No probs.

The first pic shows under the drivers seat (UK car, premium hi-fi). The second pic shows the grey plugs more closely - its those 2 I pull out and reseat.

Darren.
Great pics and I do have those harnesses below my drivers seat as well. I pulled them both with the engine off but unfortunately no difference in the screen. Still off, but audio and Park Assist still working.

Thanks, mate.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 19:52   #23
rowleyd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbotd View Post
Great pics and I do have those harnesses below my drivers seat as well. I pulled them both with the engine off but unfortunately no difference in the screen. Still off, but audio and Park Assist still working.

Thanks, mate.
No probs, just reread your fault and noticed its just the display. My 'fix' works for me when the display, all the sound and the parking sensors stop ... sorry, probably shouldn't have built your hopes up !!!

Darren.
rowleyd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 22:37   #24
cbotd

Default Radio Fixed with second hand unit

Well after many attempts at a quick and inexpensive repair I took the XC90 to the dealer for an official diagnosis. They went through many of the same things I had already done and told me the ICM needed to be replaced. The cost... $1,300 USD.

I took to the Interwebs to find a better way. Forum posts and eBay took me to VolvoPartsOnly. They have used ICMs for various amounts (most between $250 and $300 USD). I ordered one post haste. When it arrived I plugged it in and got nothing. No audio, no lights, nada. I took it to the dealer for a software flash hoping that would bring it to life... nothing. Dealer said the ICM was not recognized because it did not match my VIN.

The dealer did call Volvo USA and got me the four part numbers that will work in my XC90. I called Patrick at VolvoPartsOnly and he gladly swapped the ICM I bought with one that matched one of the Part Numbers I got from the dealer. In fact, he gave me the exact part number I pulled from my SUV. It was plug and play and I now have a screen and operational ICM for 1/4 of the cost. Patrick even sent me a pre paid shipping label to return the other ICM that didn't work.

Not a big fan of a $300 fix for old equipment that still doesn't have the nice features of a modern unit (aux input, SAT, HD Radio, etc) but I sure like the price better than $1,300 from the dealer. I may have the software flashed to match my vehicle for $93 just to be safe. Glad to have a working ICM and hope to get some trouble free miles out of this one.

To tie this back, I did look at the circuit board and my bad ICM had a fine K2503 chip. Not melted or blown.

Last edited by cbotd; Feb 21st, 2012 at 22:40. Reason: Additional Info
cbotd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cbotd For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 05:41   #25
dmas88

What were the numbers that were for your VIN? I ordered a used one from ebay that had the exact same part numbers as mine but nothing works when I plug it in. The number I referred to on mine were 30679179 / 30679227, is this the same number format that you matched up?

Thanks.
dmas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 01:29   #26
TheLTFM

I've read this thread and just about every other one I can find on the ICM issue in XC90's. My wife's 04 XC90 with "High Performance Sound" (non-premium) started having radio issues a few weeks ago. It works sporadically, usually in the first few minutes of driving, and then you can't change stations, volume, etc. The radio continues to play sometimes after the car is turned off. Sometimes, it will just turn off while driving on its own.

With an internet diagnosed bad ICM, I turned to Patrick at volvoparts as reported by cbotd above. I pulled my ICM before ordering, and gave Patrick my part number 30679227 (with build date note 04W17). He sent an ICM, and upon installing it, I got nothing - went from sporadic with the old unit to completely dead with the replacement one.

Patrick said I just need to have the dealer do the software download, and all should be good. Took it to the dealer, they tried to activate the unit, but said they couldn't do the download to get it working. Patrick exchanged the ICM for another one with the same part number, I switched it out, and again I am getting nothing. The replacement ICM does not work in my car. Patrick assures me that both the units work in XC90's he has.

I'm now at a loss and not inclined to go spend another $60 at the dealership for nothing. The only thing I've noticed is that both of the units Patrick sent have a build date starting with 05. Could that be it?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Most report that replacing the ICM with a used unit is plug and play, no software required. For me, it's not plug and play and even the attempt at software didn't work.

Thanks!
TheLTFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 01:11   #27
spokoluzik
Trader

You need to go for MOST network security OFF then ICM reload if nothing better need to do ring break test.
If your sticker said 04w17 you have to find any earlier than that to save money for reload.

http://volvodiagnostic.com/
spokoluzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 01:38   #28
TheLTFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokoluzik View Post
You need to go for MOST network security OFF then ICM reload if nothing better need to do ring break test.
If your sticker said 04w17 you have to find any earlier than that to save money for reload.
Thanks so much!
Old May 9th, 2013, 01:52   #29
TheLTFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokoluzik View Post
One other quick question - Patrick is telling me that he has a unit with the same build date sticker as mine (04W17) and some that are earlier.

Do you suggest we go with the one with the same build date sticker or one of the earlier ones? My goal is to avoid software.

Thanks!
Old May 10th, 2013, 10:50   #30
spokoluzik
Trader

Anything what's 04w17 and earlier should match.

http://volvodiagnostic.com/
spokoluzik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spokoluzik For This Useful Post: