Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

intermittent missing. (E10?)

Views : 2369

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 9th, 2022, 11:01   #21
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
No, Alan, the last paragraph says "However, a simpler solution to the problem would just be to fill up occasionally with E10 fuel (provided the car is compatible with that fuel). More ethanol equals more opportunity to dissolve more water and eliminate it by ingesting it into the engine."

Note the full stop after the first line, this makes the last line exactly as i said in the first place.

Unleaded petrol has a naturally higher water content than real petrol. Unleaded with ethanol added has a higher still water content and the more ethanol added at manufacture, the higher the natural water content. The ethanol in the fuel will only cope with the natural water content, not the added water content of atmospheric air in the tank condensing and adding more water to the mix.

I've been using this fix for over 35 years and it was passed down to me by someone who started in the motor trade in the 60s, if not before.

Please don't condemn my (or others) suggestions as red herrings when it has not been proven either way. We have had many nay-sayers like this in the past, particularly on this subject and when the person that has the problem has run out of all the other options, they've tried my suggestion of adding meths and lo and behold, it's worked.

I'm not saying it's always the solution but in this case it sounds very like it might be, if it isn't it's eliminated another possible cause and in the great scheme of things, costs very little.

As for adding 2L meths to 10 gallons of fuel, if you had read what i put in the first place you would have realised this isn't the case.
We will just have to agree to disagree even more strongly than previously Dave.

People may believe the moon is made of blue cheese if they wish...

Another lovely day in paradise :-)
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 11:54   #22
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Adding meths to the tank was debunked here:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=313630

Quote:
Originally Posted by from link
But it does clearly state that the product 'contains: ethanol > 95%', thereby proving my point that there is very little methanol in methylated spirits... you are actually suggesting adding ethanol to fix the problem of ethanol being added to petrol!!!
That's like taking more crack to ween yourself off of crack.
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 18:00   #23
volvulus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
As a result of this thread, i just went to Toolstation and got 2L of meths and added it to my tank. I have also been experiencing an intermittent misfire and down on power even when hot and to be honest, i should have thought of it sooner.

I had half a gallon in a can in the back anyway from my last trip to fill up (i'd left things a bit late! ) so i added the meths to that and then added all of it to the tank.

Fired up after turning a bit more than usual but it was a hot day and as i was thinking i may have to try again, it caught and idled smoother than it has for a long time.

Drove out of the car park and put my foot down to pull away and surprised myself - it went better than it has for a long time too!

Overall a vast improvement! Of course, the acid test will be when it's sat overnight and how it performs from cold tomorrow but so far so good!
Thank you Dave, and all who replied.

I have changed my plugs and the next run will confirm if plugs was the problem.

If the problem persists, I will then drain a small amount from the tank drain plug.... if it confirms enough water to be the cause I will try your fix.

If the problem is still evident after filling with E5 (from empty,) I will buy a set of the volvo leads.

As an aside..I believe E10 petrol goes off quite quickly. It is very volatile and I believe it looses some of it's octane especially in the hot weather if left in the tank for an extended period. Adding meths may restore/increase the octane level so; could account for some of the improved running of your car, especially if you added fuel from a can as well. (I think you said you had E10 in the tank, unless I misread.)

I'll report back if I find water and the results of your fix. Many thanks Dave.

Ken.
volvulus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvulus For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2022, 07:03   #24
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvulus View Post

If the problem persists, I will then drain a small amount from the tank drain plug.... if it confirms enough water to be the cause I will try your fix.

Ken.
It will be fascinating to hear whether you have and liquid water in your petrol tank Ken.

Alan
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 15:59   #25
volvulus

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvulus View Post

I have changed my plugs and the next run will confirm if plugs was the problem.

If the problem is still evident after filling with E5 (from empty,) I will buy a set of the volvo leads.

As an aside..I believe E10 petrol goes off quite quickly. It is very volatile and I believe it looses some of it's octane especially in the hot weather if left in the tank for an extended period. Adding meths may restore/increase the octane level so; could account for some of the improved running of your car, especially if you added fuel from a can as well. (I think you said you had E10 in the tank, unless I misread.)

Ken.
Hi, I took the 940 out today, first time since changing the plugs.

It ran without missing and felt more powerful than previously. A fix I reckon.

Passed her MOT with just a few advisories.

Doesn't look like I will be draining fuel out now, I did look under to suss out the drain plug, it's not obvious and doesn't look like any plug I've ever seen.

Not sure what grade petrol to us now. I'm thinking using E5 every third fill.

Thanks all for your input.

Regards ken.
volvulus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvulus For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2022, 17:44   #26
940volvoman
Master Member

I have just completed a long journey with a loaded 940 Celebration using the new fuel (E10)

Pulling was quite poor on certain parts of the journey, but was surprised to read that Bosch leads (which I have) are really poor quality compared to some others. Is it worth going to larger,less restrictive spark plug leads?

Its probably time for some new plugs, too...?
940volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 940volvoman For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2022, 18:20   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940volvoman View Post
I have just completed a long journey with a loaded 940 Celebration using the new fuel (E10)

Pulling was quite poor on certain parts of the journey, but was surprised to read that Bosch leads (which I have) are really poor quality compared to some others. Is it worth going to larger,less restrictive spark plug leads?

Its probably time for some new plugs, too...?
Get some Bougicord leads and switch to E5 fuel (super unleaded) permanently. Much of the so-called 95RON (E10) fuel really isn't now, the ethanol is an octane booster so i'd guess it's probably only about 88-90RON so won't have the calorific value it previously had and will be more prone to detonation/pre-ignition/pinking which the ECU will detect and counter by retarding the ignition timing, making it slower and thirstier.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2022, 18:59   #28
940volvoman
Master Member

Whats the advantages of the French bougicords Dave?

Perhaps that is why the parts supplier is German,Swedish and French.

My car will adopt an identity crisis!!
940volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 940volvoman For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2022, 19:42   #29
bob12
bob12

I have never been a fan of Bougicord leads having had bad experiences with them many years ago on two different Volvos!

Strangely, I am a fan of E/Parts 'Prospark' leads (spot the difference!) which are suitable for both the 700/900 Series. I have found them exceptionally well made and long lasting with my current set in the 745 now about 12 years old.

Always buy when on 50% off offer. They are currently on about 35% off at £32.49.

Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spark Plug Leads.jpg (250.4 KB, 2 views)
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2022, 20:49   #30
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940volvoman View Post
Whats the advantages of the French bougicords Dave?

Perhaps that is why the parts supplier is German,Swedish and French.

My car will adopt an identity crisis!!
You can also get Bougicords from PFV Shaun, they were OE fitment nd having had a set of Bosch on my 760 for ~4-5 years and nothing but trouble, i found a used set of Bougicords in my spares stash (made in 07 but still 15 years younger than the originals that i took off) and fitted them. My fuel economy has jumped considerably, it's a lot smoother and quicker.

https://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/

There are many Bosch items i've found lately that i wouldn't have again, their quality has gone down the drain in recent times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
I have never been a fan of Bougicord leads having had bad experiences with them many years ago on two different Volvos!

Strangely, I am a fan of E/Parts 'Prospark' leads (spot the difference!) which are suitable for both the 700/900 Series. I have found them exceptionally well made and long lasting with my current set in the 745 now about 12 years old.

Always buy when on 50% off offer. They are currently on about 35% off at £32.49.

Bob.
Surprised you've had a problem with Bougicords Bob, i think you know how i feel about French engineering in general so for me to say something French is good then they are definitely well above the usual stuff.

The Intermotor (Prospark are an Intermotor brand) leads you mention are pretty good as well, if memory serves i have a set on my Rover at the moment and they've been on a good few years without problems.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: