Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P1800es Delores 1972 Blue

Views : 4120

Replies : 56

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2022, 22:09   #31
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
No, it’s manual transmission so possibly cross that suspect off the list🙃
thank you.
Maybe not cross it off the list - is it overdrive? If so the same thing applies, was going to mention it earlier after you responded to my earlier suggestions about locating which area of the car it was from but have been sidetracked this evening.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 06:12   #32
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Maybe not cross it off the list - is it overdrive? If so the same thing applies, was going to mention it earlier after you responded to my earlier suggestions about locating which area of the car it was from but have been sidetracked this evening.
Thank you Dave. The overdrive - yes, that is worth a look at. I'll check the oil level in it for SW some time in the next few weeks.

I must admit I'm a bit perplexed by this. SW has mentioned it several times, but I have not noticed it whenever I've been working on the motor car. I think we need to replicate the conditions and narrow down the cause of the issue.

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Jan 27th, 2022 at 06:18. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 11:50   #33
Derek UK
VOC Member

Might be out of the speedo drive gearbox connection.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 19:37   #34
Snow White

Default P1800es Oil Leak on Reversing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Might be out of the speedo drive gearbox connection.
Thank you, will post more after the detective work 🕵️ and hopefully have an answer.

Last edited by Snow White; Jan 27th, 2022 at 19:39.
Snow White is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snow White For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 21:01   #35
ITSv40
VOC Member

I have just come across this thread and must say that does look a fine example. I had an ES back in the day - they were so good looking when new and have stood the test of time. Mine was bought with 20,000mls, manual overdrive and was in white with a tan interior. It also had a full length Webasto sunroof. Of all the cars that I have owned that is the only one I regret selling, even after 40 odd years.

With regards the heavy steering: mine was on Pirelli radials and was very heavy when compared with the 164E I had as a daily and the 1949 Bentley Mk VI it shared the garage with. My lasting memory is it was very agricultural. Apart from the heavy steering, everything else was delightful. If I wasn't so in love with the C70 I would have another in a heartbeat.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 06:24   #36
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
I have just come across this thread and must say that does look a fine example. I had an ES back in the day - they were so good looking when new and have stood the test of time. Mine was bought with 20,000mls, manual overdrive and was in white with a tan interior. It also had a full length Webasto sunroof. Of all the cars that I have owned that is the only one I regret selling, even after 40 odd years.

With regards the heavy steering: mine was on Pirelli radials and was very heavy when compared with the 164E I had as a daily and the 1949 Bentley Mk VI it shared the garage with. My lasting memory is it was very agricultural. Apart from the heavy steering, everything else was delightful. If I wasn't so in love with the C70 I would have another in a heartbeat.
Thank you for that memory. I help SW maintain the motor car, and can say that you have it exactly right regarding the P1800ES. It is quite agricultural, after all it is more or less an Amazon in a party frock (although that is more of a merit than a disadvantage when it comes to maintaining a 50 year old motor car).

Delores is quite delightful, apart from the heavy steering. There is nothing wrong, that is just the nature of the beast. The only real solution would be to add an aftermarket electrical power steering kit (LS posted a link to one that would work previously), and I think that is something SW is considering.

Alan
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 14:47   #37
142 Guy
Master Member

The B18C version of the B18 - B20 was used in the Volvo BM 320 tractor so there is definitely a tinge of the agricultural present.
142 Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 16:07   #38
VolvoRoyS

Snow White,
You might like to know that there is a service manual on eBay specifically for the 1800ES, just search for Volvo P1800ES manual. I received mine today and it is for models from chassis no. 3070 and is, I think, the factory manual and looks much better than the Haynes manual that I already have.

Roy
VolvoRoyS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VolvoRoyS For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 17:59   #39
Snow White

Default Delores P1800es Blue

As much as I love driving Delores (and she always brings a smile to my face) I have felt visually time constrained by having be home by dark (more Cinderella than Snow White &#128540 .
This is most likely to be the combination of both my aging eyesight and the old incandescent bulbs fitted on Delores.
So the decision was made to replace the headlamps for new halogen ones, that I sourced for just under £30, which seemed a good price .
I drove Delores over to visit Alan, GAM and The RB as Alan had kindly offered to swap them for me. The swap over was straight forward and for once there were no ‘unexpected challenges‘ apart that is that we had picked the sunniest part of the sunniest hour of the day, on the sunniest day of the year so far; which meant it was terribly difficult to accurately check the beam position!
Once home and in the darkness of the garage, I could immediately see the improvement with the brightness. There is a slight malalignment of the near side lamp but this is because the fitting screw holes are slightly incongruent with those on the off side and gives Delores a very slight squint.
I am hoping it’s not enough to be noticeable or will affect the night driving experience that I now, at least, feel more confident about undertaking. No more Cinderella haha!
Thank you Alan.
Below is an image of the alignment.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/030z...g_-_Desborough

Last edited by Snow White; Feb 9th, 2022 at 18:49.
Snow White is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snow White For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 18:12   #40
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
As much as I love driving Delores (and she always brings a smile to my face) I have felt visually time constrained by having be home by dark (more Cinderella than Snow White &#128540 . This is most likely to be the combination of both my aging eyesight and the old incandescent bulbs fitted on Delores.
So the decision was made to replace the headlamps for new halogen ones, that I sourced for just under £30, which seemed a good price .
I drove Delores over to visit Alan, GAM and The RB as Alan had kindly offered to swap them for me. The swap over was straight forward and for once there were no ‘unexpected challenges‘ apart that is that we had picked the sunniest part of the sunniest hour of the day, on the sunniest day of the year so far; which meant it was terribly difficult to accurately check the beam position!
Once home and in the darkness of the garage, I could immediately see the improvement with the brightness. There is a slight malalignment of the near side lamp but this is because the fitting screw holes are slightly incongruent with those on the off side and gives Delores a very slight squint.
I am hoping it’s not enough to be noticeable or will affect the night driving experience that I now, at least, feel more confident about undertaking. No more Cinderella haha!
Thank you Alan.
Below is an image of the alignment.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/030z...g_-_Desborough
The alignment looks pretty close to be honest, maybe the offside (right) headlamp aim is a smidge high but shouldn't cause too many problems i wouldn't think.
A good job done, maybe an LED headlights upgrade next time to help preserve the loom.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: