Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Re-set brake fault valve & switch on 2 circuit 121

Views : 1051

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2022, 06:40   #1
Charlie69Amazon

Default Re-set brake fault valve & switch on 2 circuit 121

Hi all,

My brake light is on after bleeding the brakes without removing the switch. My mistake as I have learned from the research I have done. A question on how to move the shuttle valve back to center position: Can I move it by bleeding one of the caliper or wheel cylinder bleed nipples on the other circuit? I will do this with the switch removed of course. However I don't know how will I know it has centered, and not moved across to isolate the circuit being bled?

The position of the shuttle valve block with switch is awkward with the switch facing down. It is not possible to see the positon of th eshuttle valve wihtout a borescope. I am tempted to install it upside down with the switch on top so I can see the shuttle valve and see if it is centered. Has anybody done this? Can you see any problems with installing it this way?

Thanks,
Chalrie Perry 69 121 B20 with dual circuit brakes
Charlie69Amazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 09:10   #2
Volvo_133
VOC member

Default Brake valve

With the switch removed, provided the 2 brake circuits are free from leaks and the pressure in the circuits are the same, the shuttle valve should self centralise.
My late amazon has this unit fitted and the switch does face upwards towards the bonnet.
It was fitted this way when I took over ownership in 2004.
If your shuttle does not self centre, you can slide it easily with a small screwdriver.
With the switch removed, operate the brakes and check the valve remains central.
Sometimes bleeding the brakes with the switch in place can break the switch operating plunger.
Good luck.
Volvo_133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 10:41   #3
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

My 142 is fitted upwards as well. You'll need to mod the brake lines a little to change it round as they are higher when it's pointing up.
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 12:43   #4
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Charlie;

I don't think there are any design or construction, or pressure factors which require the switch block to be in any particular position or attitude, so the position you find it in, especially with a retrofitted one, is strictly how the plumbing worked out when the installer located it...having said that, he didn't make it any easier to inspect by mounting it "upsidedown"...as 133 notes, Shuttle "should" self-recentralize as it has springs on either side, but may/typically needs a bit of energy/persuasion to "unstick" and encourage this...try jabbing, sharp risetime inputs on the Brake Pedal (I don't believe I'm saying this, but some additional shock energy ("Lucasfix"!) inputs in the form of light tappy-tappys with a soft hammer while a helper is applying the Pedal energy inputs, may be the trick)...

...BUT FIRST: Remove the Switch from the block! Having moved from the central position, and extended the plunger during bleeding is not when the plastic peg gets damaged/pieces sheared off, but when returning it and compressing it with not much of a ramp on the Shuttle IS...see also: https://www.sw-em.com/Two_Wrongs_Mak...g_Valve_Switch

...so how would you know if your Pedal jabbing inputs have recentralized the Shuttle, when the Switch is not preset to allow this to be indicated electrically?... AND the installer having made it not particularly easy for you by installing it upsidedown and maybe in a precarious position for checking, and you don't have a borescope handy?
...I'd suggest checking in a similar way the Switch itself does!...how about checking how far a wooden or plastic (non-damaging!) "depthprobe" (standin for the Switch plunger), is able to be inserted, before the shock inputs, hopefully these will persuade it to move, and the after checks will show a bit less of insertion (I only expect a 1/8 to 3/16" difference, so measure carefully!)...all this, and I hope the internal seals of the Switchblock don't let you down and there is excessive leakage out the Switch port...

Good Hunting!

Last edited by Ron Kwas; Jul 28th, 2022 at 12:45.
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 04:13   #5
Charlie69Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
Charlie;

I don't think there are any design or construction, or pressure factors which require the switch block to be in any particular position or attitude, so the position you find it in, especially with a retrofitted one, is strictly how the plumbing worked out when the installer located it...having said that, he didn't make it any easier to inspect by mounting it "upsidedown"...as 133 notes, Shuttle "should" self-recentralize as it has springs on either side, but may/typically needs a bit of energy/persuasion to "unstick" and encourage this...try jabbing, sharp risetime inputs on the Brake Pedal (I don't believe I'm saying this, but some additional shock energy ("Lucasfix"!) inputs in the form of light tappy-tappys with a soft hammer while a helper is applying the Pedal energy inputs, may be the trick)...

...BUT FIRST: Remove the Switch from the block! Having moved from the central position, and extended the plunger during bleeding is not when the plastic peg gets damaged/pieces sheared off, but when returning it and compressing it with not much of a ramp on the Shuttle IS...see also: https://www.sw-em.com/Two_Wrongs_Mak...g_Valve_Switch

...so how would you know if your Pedal jabbing inputs have recentralized the Shuttle, when the Switch is not preset to allow this to be indicated electrically?... AND the installer having made it not particularly easy for you by installing it upsidedown and maybe in a precarious position for checking, and you don't have a borescope handy?
...I'd suggest checking in a similar way the Switch itself does!...how about checking how far a wooden or plastic (non-damaging!) "depthprobe" (standin for the Switch plunger), is able to be inserted, before the shock inputs, hopefully these will persuade it to move, and the after checks will show a bit less of insertion (I only expect a 1/8 to 3/16" difference, so measure carefully!)...all this, and I hope the internal seals of the Switchblock don't let you down and there is excessive leakage out the Switch port...

Good Hunting!
Thanks to all who helped me with this. I will likely install it with the switch up. To do this I will make a small extension to the bracked so the brake line connections all fit without changing any brake lines. Also I see that there is a small drain hole in the swith. I will make a felt washer to act as a filter to avoid getting crud from abobve into the switch.
Then I should be able to look in and see if it is centered.
I tried to insert a photo here but don't yet know how to do that. I can send a photo if anyone interested.
Thanks again.
Charlie
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 14:28   #6
Derek UK
VOC Member

I think the block is symmetrical? If so you can just take the pipes off and reverse it.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 19:16   #7
Charlie69Amazon

Yes it si symmetrical but the bracket that mounts it to the inner fender is not. I can easily modify the mounting arrangement and reverse it. From the responses earlier it looks like it is upside down in my car and should be installed with the switch up. Thanks.
Old Aug 31st, 2022, 05:13   #8
Charlie69Amazon

I'm finally getting back to working on the brake fault valve & switch.

A friend has a spare assembly wo we took it apart to see how it works. Very simple. However, as you all pointed out, it is now clear that the switch will definitley be damaged if one attempts to re-center the shuttle without removing the switch.

It is interesting to note that the shuttle valve is in two parts, two pistons, not one. I am not sure why.

I will install it with the switch facing up so I can see the valve inside. I can avoid modifying any of the brake lines by making a small bracket to install it with the mounting tab to the bottom instead of the top.

Also to avoid getting dirt into the switch I will make a small felt washer to cover the drain hole which will be facing up.

Thanks for your advice on this.
Old Aug 31st, 2022, 15:46   #9
142 Guy
Master Member

As an observation, if you center the switch operating mechanism (in the non operated position) before installing the switch assembly it will remain centered if you bleed the system using a hand vacuum pump or a pressure bleeder attachment on the MC reservoir. The pressure differentials with vacuum or pressure bleeding are small compared to the hydraulic system operating pressure and will not operate the switch. At least it has never operated the switch on my 142. If you bleed the system using the pedal pump method then the operating mechanism will not remain centered during the bleed process.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2022, 16:40   #10
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

...a good observation and Tip by 142Guy!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake fault switch, dual circuit, valve, warning light