Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Overheated 940 won't re-start

Views : 3668

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 28th, 2021, 16:00   #21
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv10tc View Post
thanks, the first thing I did check fuel pump fuse (1), it is Ok, will try for hot start, but keeping foot away from pedal does it.
Changing head gasket is expensive job, I had some preliminary over the phone quotes up to £800.
It is nice to see a 12 year old thread revived!

This doesn't particularly sound like a head gasket - the intermittent starting would seem more like a sensor somewhere. See if you can borrow a compression tester (or buy one, they are not expensive) - that will quickly show whether there is an issue with the cylinder head gasket.

If it does need a new head gasket than that is a job you could easily do yourself for a great deal less than £800. I'm guessing this is a red block engine, so the gasket will be around £40, the rest is just normal tools and stuff. If you do it then it would be sensible to change the rocker box gasket (£5), cam belt (£25) and idler (£20) at the same time.

Good fortune,

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Oct 28th, 2021 at 16:03.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2021, 18:48   #22
mv10tc

Default mv10tc

Hi all
Tony:” Red light in the fuel gauge? This is a reserve indicator for the fuel level. as far as I am aware its not any indication of pump or pressure level. “
Tony you are correct, I was wrong, as I got it from someone few years back.
Othen thanks for suggestions, yes it is red engine block, had the car for just about 25 out of its 30 years, so hate to give it away for scrap. Agree, it is worth doing things you listed.
Here is latest report:
- there was spark but intermittent and flash in the test lamp wasn’t particularly bright, tested only on 2 out of 4 cylinders.
I suspected that ‘ignition amplifier’ connectors may be problem since lot of hot water was squirted over air filter box, and this module is behind it. Took it off soaked all connections with contact cleaner, cleaned both plates, put lot of thermal compound (normally used for high quality components in computers), put everything back, good regular flash from test lamp, but still no ignition.
- did a smell test on two of the spark plugs (tips are brownish grey colour), there is smell of petrol but not particularly strong.
- Eventually managed to pull off fuel line from fuel pressure regulator on the pump side, some fuel came out but not as much as I expected.
Could not disconnect the other side that supplies injectors rail.
The above would suggest fuel supply problem, pump or injectors pulses failure.
Tried to trace harness with injector cables but it disappears somewhere under and behind back of the engine.
Don’t understand why either of two would go bad if engine overheated for short period.

Last edited by mv10tc; Oct 28th, 2021 at 19:32.
mv10tc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mv10tc For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2021, 23:04   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I'd investigate your CPS (Crank Position Sensor) if i were you. Also remove, clean and re-gap the spark plugs to 0.65-0.7mm and also check the carbon brush inside the distributor cap to make sure it hasn't broken or simply fallen out.

Which hose did you pull off the fuel pressure regualtor? You can only remove two, one is the return to tank (~8mm bore) and the other is a small vacuum hose (~4mm bore) - if it was the latter and you got petrol out of it the FPR is knackered.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 08:57   #24
940volvoman
Master Member

When I had this problem on my 940 estate i went straight for the crank position sensor following guidance from people on here. Its a bit difficult to access,but it solved the problem

Shaun
940volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 940volvoman For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 09:57   #25
TonyS9
Premier Member

Without crank position you won't get any sparks.

Have you checked the distributor for water causing a weak spark?

When it started did you have trouble reving it up or accelerating?

Last edited by TonyS9; Oct 29th, 2021 at 10:01.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 18:34   #26
mv10tc

Default mv10tc

Hi Tony, You may not have seen my 'report' at further above where I said
Here is latest report:
- there was spark but intermittent and flash in the test lamp wasn’t particularly bright, tested only on 2 out of 4 cylinders.
I suspected that ‘ignition amplifier’ connectors may be problem since lot of hot water was squirted over air filter box, and this module is behind it. Took it off soaked all connections with contact cleaner, cleaned both plates, put lot of thermal compound (normally used for high quality components in computers), put everything back, good regular flash from test lamp, but still no ignition.

Judging by your comment I would assume that 'crank position sensor' might be OK.
Next step, disconnected battery, then shorted + & - leads with key left in ignition for about 15 min in II then III, will check sometime tomorrow if the draining ECU makes any difference.
Have you any idea where about is ECU earthing on 940. automatic, non turbo non AC. If 'earth' is bad, starter would take voltage down to the rest, with further drop on the earth connection and ECU may not operate as expected.

Hi Scooby,
Vacuum side is fine, it is the long fuel (possibly return ?) line going to the side of the engine going back towards fuel reservoir, that had a bit of fuel in it.

Last edited by mv10tc; Oct 29th, 2021 at 18:53.
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 18:58   #27
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Lots of assumptions here.

Bottom line is its been overheated, and is now difficult to start. With persistence it might start, but runs only a few seconds. These are classic symptoms of a cooked engine.

Go back to the beginning.

Check the compression. Every likelihood your quest will end there.

Then check the fuelling.

Then check the sparks.

The scattergun approach won't get you anywhere, but seeing as the thread is over a decade old you probably know that by now.
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 19:08   #28
mv10tc

Default mv10tc

Hi Familyman
It run at least on 4 occasions (got it back home ok, went for a shop next day) and 2-3 stationary runs (one for Radweld work) and on tests for about 5-10 min to see how engine temp is rising, I had very smooth idling (possibly best for long time) but at higher revs than usual. If there is a serious compression problem on one or more cylinders I would expect very rough idling.

Last edited by mv10tc; Oct 29th, 2021 at 19:28.
Old Oct 30th, 2021, 18:35   #29
mv10tc

Default mv10tc

Hi all
PROBLEM SORTED !
BAD EARTH ON ECU
Will be going slowly through as many earth connections as I can find.
Thank you all for valuable advice.

Last edited by mv10tc; Oct 30th, 2021 at 20:46.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mv10tc For This Useful Post: