Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bulb Out Warning Light When Brakes Applied??

Views : 2769

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2021, 21:58   #11
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Re post from Ginger Magic.

The mention about the towbar got me thinking, not always a good sign......

When I picked the car around a month ago there were no lights on the dash, but after hitting my shins on the tow ball a few times, I noticed it had a lever, and simply removed the tow ball, popped on the plastic cover that I found in the left hand boot cubby hole, all sorted and no more effing and jeffing about skinned shins.

Is it possible that the bulb warning sensor somehow is expecting a signal of bulb in the towing electrics?? If so, any pointers to identify would be greatly appreciated.

As far as I know, I didn't touch the socket for trailer electrics when I removed the ball hitch.

Cheers
Steve
If the towbar electrics have been wired in correctly, the tail and brake lights will take their feeds from upstream of the BFU so shouldn't effect it either way. That means when you are towing, the BFU will still work on the car only.

However if someone has decided they can simply splice into the light circuits in the back of the car, they may have caused problems, not least with the BFU itself.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 22:01   #12
kiloran

Re towbar electrics. I don't think so, based on the fact that a blown brake light bulb on my bike carrier (standard 7 pin electrics, factory-fit towbar) didn't throw a warning light on the dash.
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 22:05   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
Re towbar electrics. I don't think so, based on the fact that a blown brake light bulb on my bike carrier (standard 7 pin electrics, factory-fit towbar) didn't throw a warning light on the dash.
It won't if the towbar electrics have been fitted correctly - see my comment above.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 22:16   #14
Skyedriver
Master Member

Just to add to everyone elses post, my car has done this for the last 5 years or more off and on. Happens about once a month. Just accept it now, all the lights work correctly.
Skyedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skyedriver For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2021, 03:01   #15
deeman940
Master Member

Default for what its worth....

i had this problem, was due to an aftermarket rear light and the bulb holder not seating properly and one of the contacts arcing out....solved it by buying a s/h genuine unit with holders
deeman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deeman940 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2021, 07:47   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman940 View Post
i had this problem, was due to an aftermarket rear light and the bulb holder not seating properly and one of the contacts arcing out....solved it by buying a s/h genuine unit with holders
Any idea what brand the aftermarket cluster was Damo?

Old Oct 30th, 2021, 08:45   #17
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Don't forget that you can check th brake lights with the ignition off; all you need is a dark location and check your mirrors for a red glow. That eliminates the tail lamp element of the dual-filament bulb from the equation.
It's a simple point and one that's often forgotten when testing stop lamp circuits.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2021, 08:55   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
Don't forget that you can check th brake lights with the ignition off; all you need is a dark location and check your mirrors for a red glow. That eliminates the tail lamp element of the dual-filament bulb from the equation.
It's a simple point and one that's often forgotten when testing stop lamp circuits.
While that's true, it only gives a simple go/no-go test for operation, it doesn't give the opportunity to observe slight differences in brightness that the BFU is picking up on due to slightly different currents running in each leg of the circuit. A useful test nonetheless. A broom can come in useful too, handle through the steering wheel onto the brake pedal, adjust the seat backrest to push on the head of the broom to operate the brake pedal to bring the brake lights on. (A similar length of wood can also be used, a broom is a good descriptor for visualising though)

Old Oct 30th, 2021, 19:46   #19
Badger vs Bodgers

I had this exact thing earlier; turns out I'd knocked the earth contact at the top of the rear light cluster. It was fairly loose anyways, so that may have contributed.
I used a small screwdriver to gently reshape the contact so it clamped better and it seems to have sorted it.
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 07:18   #20
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

This was an issue on the NS rear cluster on my petrol 940 until recently and has just started happening on the Derv also.

I chased my tail for a bit cleaning contacts etc but eventually solved it on the petrol car by replacing the Lucar connectors on the cluster-the old ones were loose and one of them must have gone high resistance somewhere. Zero problems since the fix.

I’d suggest looking into that next as you’ve already cleaned up the bulb holder connections. The whole assembly tends to be a bit finicky connections wise when they reach a certain age!!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post: