Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Round chrome drivers side wing mirror.

Views : 8391

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2009, 19:56   #1
Quarterless
Master Member

Default Round chrome drivers side wing mirror.

One like in the image below but for the passenger side. E.g. The right of the car if you are looking at the front of the car.
Thanks
James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !Bcm+(FgBmk~$(KGrHqEOKkUEq4FpYvPBBK1NUG4eMg~~_12.jpg (17.8 KB, 20 views)
Quarterless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 21:19   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

"GT" mirrors aren't handed.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 21:25   #3
ClassicVolvoShop
Schrödinger's Cat Cph!

They are universal -If you find a left one - just turn the mirror and it's a right one..

And please: When stating which side on cars - ALWAYS state side as seen from behind the steering wheel - that way - it doesn't matter if you are blind, in a RHD country or LHD country - or at home and the car on the Moon..

Last edited by ClassicVolvoShop; Oct 20th, 2009 at 21:34.
ClassicVolvoShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 10:37   #4
Quarterless
Master Member

B~%locks!!!! Just missed one on ebay as I thought they were handed!
Anyone got one spare?

Out of interest. If the chrome is not good how do you get the glass/mirror out to re-chrome them?

Last edited by Quarterless; Oct 21st, 2009 at 10:42.
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 11:37   #5
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarterless View Post
Just missed one on ebay as I thought they were handed!
Was it this one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-AMAZON-1...mZ250513638274

These seem to sell for really silly money imho - I've even seen a pretty ropey one fetch well over £50... The other year, I paid less than that for a pair of NOS ones that one day will be fitted to my heap. Keep a look out at autojumbles / Volvo OC national rally etc for one at a more sensible price!

Also, I'm pretty certain that these mirrors weren't GT fitment only, as although used on the GTs, I've seen Volvo publicity photos with these mirrors fitted to non GTs and even a PV! CVS - what are your thoughts?

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 12:50   #6
ClassicVolvoShop
Schrödinger's Cat Cph!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222s View Post
Also, I'm pretty certain that these mirrors weren't GT fitment only, as although used on the GTs, I've seen Volvo publicity photos with these mirrors fitted to non GTs and even a PV! CVS - what are your thoughts?
The perticular wing/fender miror shown above - is like Derek says offered as accessories for the 140 series.

If seen on a PV - it's not "original" - timewise the mirrors came with the GT and for the 140 series as accessorie in 1967 - I have a swedish friend who bought a set at a Volvo dealer in early 1980's and most likely the set where a dusted shelf-item - so most likely only advertised arround 1967-1975.
(Oh, on the 445/210/Duett - and on the Amazon estate - you may see similar foot (base)/arm (stem) - but it's a different mirrorhead).

If idiot into details - the very true GT ones have pointy foot/base - and later batch where with a rounded off foot/base.

Over here in Scandinavia we had several wing/fender mirror-options - the Albert mirrors have been very popular in a period.. Where as the TEX Automotive mirrors are considered ugly.. Sorry, but that's just how taste etc. differs..
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 10:56   #7
Quarterless
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222s View Post
Yep that was it.
I have been looking at car shows and managed to get one in the same condition as that one for £15, hence trying to find another one.
Anyone got any pics of the different bases?
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 11:46   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

Heads are stainless and are machine pressed over the mirror glass. Realistically, it's not possible to replace the glass without leaving the rim "untidy" unless you have special tools. You'd then have to "chance your luck" and break the mirror before unrolling the edge.
Stem and base get bubbles in the chrome as they are a Mazac type material.

Yes, these mirrors were offered as optional extras. Very similar ones with slightly different heads available in Sweden and elswhere from the early 60's but the UK did't seem to get them until about the same time as the 123GT arrived. Often seen on 140's and I've seen a pair on a 240 but don't know when Volvo dropped them from the lists.

Last edited by Derek UK; Oct 21st, 2009 at 11:53. Reason: Extra info
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 12:16   #9
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

If you don't have any luck on the forum this website has round mirrors.

http://volvoklassiekeronderdelen.nl/...ucts_id=188755
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote