Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

740 poor running and stalling

Views : 21086

Replies : 119

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 6th, 2021, 19:03   #111
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadybc View Post
Yeah you're correct about the MoT part, completely forgot about that screw you mentioned before I was struggling to think of new ways to adjust the mixture. Cold start valve came up when searching for a fix but no where did it say how to test whether that was the problem so cheers for that.
Just to be clear, the test i suggested of simply disconnecting the electrical plug from the cold start injector is only a very simple test and won't cover all eventualities possible with it, however it should yield enough clues to help with the rest.

Hopefully it's something fairly simple from here, most likely is it started misfiring before it was laid up and has got worse since. They probably tweaked the mixture screw to get it through MoTs before that so it's running as rich as anything now. On my 760, i had similar (although that's LH-Jetronic) because my injectors were dirty. When i replaced them with some Vauxhall Omega V6 injectors (cross-referenced to the Bosch replacements for the OE injectors, then found the GM V6 used the same injectors!), the performance was vastly improved, however the idle CO shot up from ~1% to about 9%!

I tweaked the mixture screw on the MAF to get it back to where it should be and still had improved performance, response and economy, hence my suspicion about what's happened with yours.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 15:55   #112
Beadybc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I suspect someone has played with the mixture adjusting screw on the fuel distributor to keep it running due to the clogging injectors. Also check the cold start injector isn't staying on past 8 seconds as that will flood the engine.

Bear in mind it could be burning off previous excess fuel from aborted start attempts.

As a first "go/no-go" test of the cold start injector, i would suggest getting it started from cold then pulling the plug off the cold start injector - squeeze the wire clip and pull the plug away from the injector at the same time.

If you locate the mixture screw on the fuel distributor, use an Allen key to make the mixture leaner once it's warmed up a bit until it sounds "happiest" once hot and idling. Bit of a Heath-Robinson method but should get you to a paoint where you are able to adjust the mixture in the MoT bay. Once you've done that, reconnecting the cold start injector plug will show whether it has a permanent feed or not, if it does, a quick solution would be to install a pushbutton switch on the cabin that you can press for cold starts and release once running.

I am guessing the important bit here is to get it MoT'd/drivable so while these methods aren't ideal, they will get you up and running and the rest can be sorted properly after you have that vital bit of paper from the MoT station.
Sorry I didn't notice earlier but the problem with this method is that the car is putting out an excess amount of fumes which fill the entire street pretty quick. Is there no possibility of adjusting the mixture screw whilst the car isn't running or is that going to cause further damage? The car doesn't idle and will eventually die so getting it warmed up is quite hard but if that is the only way then so be it.

Last edited by Beadybc; Dec 9th, 2021 at 15:58.
Beadybc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beadybc For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 17:19   #113
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Sorry I didn't notice earlier but the problem with this method is that the car is putting out an excess amount of fumes which fill the entire street pretty quick. Is there no possibility of adjusting the mixture screw whilst the car isn't running or is that going to cause further damage? The car doesn't idle and will eventually die so getting it warmed up is quite hard but if that is the only way then so be it.
You could try turning the mixture screw anticlockwise one flat on the Allen key and then starting it. That should make it a bit leaner and reduce the fuems somewhat. As it warms up, you can tweak it anticlockwise a bit to keep the fumes down as it warms. If memory serves it's a 3mm Allen key you need.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 17:54   #114
Beadybc

Quote:
You could try turning the mixture screw anticlockwise one flat on the Allen key and then starting it. That should make it a bit leaner and reduce the fuems somewhat. As it warms up, you can tweak it anticlockwise a bit to keep the fumes down as it warms. If memory serves it's a 3mm Allen key you need.
Had a look into the tube where the screw sits and it was filled with a few mm of fuel, is this normal? I tried turning it but it's fixed solid so the 3mm allen key is just stripping the head. WD40 time or will warming up the engine first loosen it?

Last edited by Beadybc; Dec 9th, 2021 at 18:04.
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 17:59   #115
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Had a look into the tube where the screw sits and it was filled with a few mm of fuel, is this normal? I tried turning it but it's fixed solid so the 3mm allen key is just stripping the head. WD40 time or will warming it up first loosen it?
Shouldn't be any fuel in the tube, also the Allen key should turn it fairly easily.

I'm not a fan of WD40 as a penetrating fluid, i prefer a 50/50 mix of acetone and synthetic ATF. I'm wondering if it was in fact water that was in that tube and it's partially seized teh adjuster?

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 18:09   #116
Beadybc

Quote:
Shouldn't be any fuel in the tube, also the Allen key should turn it fairly easily.

I'm not a fan of WD40 as a penetrating fluid, i prefer a 50/50 mix of acetone and synthetic ATF. I'm wondering if it was in fact water that was in that tube and it's partially seized teh adjuster?
The liquid was black and the inside of the tube is coated black also, probably was just dirty water though. I've seen you mention that mixture as a penetrating fluid in other threads, would you say that it works better than WD40?
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 18:18   #117
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
The liquid was black and the inside of the tube is coated black also, probably was just dirty water though. I've seen you mention that mixture as a penetrating fluid in other threads, would you say that it works better than WD40?
Definitely! I can't remember the lsat time i bought WD40 except once in my local fasteners place and there was a minimum charge of £5 for a card transaction. The nuts/bolts i was buying came to a couple of quid and i literally had no cash on me apart from two old £1 coins so i bought the nearest thing to hand which happened to be a small can of WD40 for about £3 to bring the total just over a fiver.

I put it in my "(Get me out of the) Sh!t Kit" toolbox and there it has stayed for the past 5 years or so!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 19:07   #118
Beadybc

Quote:
Definitely! I can't remember the lsat time i bought WD40 except once in my local fasteners place and there was a minimum charge of £5 for a card transaction. The nuts/bolts i was buying came to a couple of quid and i literally had no cash on me apart from two old £1 coins so i bought the nearest thing to hand which happened to be a small can of WD40 for about £3 to bring the total just over a fiver.

I put it in my "(Get me out of the) Sh!t Kit" toolbox and there it has stayed for the past 5 years or so!
I think this is definitely a “(Get me out of the) Sh!t” moment so I will use some to attempt to get that screw to turn slightly and will report back soon.
Old Dec 21st, 2021, 17:07   #119
Beadybc

Quote:

Sadly I think that it was fuel that was covering the mixture adjustment screw, went outside and found a big puddle of fuel underneath the car. Traced the leak back to the air inlet hole of the air-flow sensor, took off the air hose quite a bit of fuel came out and this is what was left inside (image below). Does this mean that the plunger on the fuel distributor is no longer fuel tight and is leaking into the air-flow sensor?

Last edited by Beadybc; Dec 21st, 2021 at 17:13.
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 16:32   #120
lynns hubby
Master Member

Agreed. WD 40 is a water displacement and nothing else. Despite what it claims, people think its a magical cure for most things. If you use it to lubricate when things are moving then great. Plus gas is a penetrant/release agent or as Scooby says 50/50 of his magical mix is far better than WD 40
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lynns hubby For This Useful Post:

Tags
740, 940, b200e, stalling, throttle lag