Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

c70 key doesn't work in door; sorted multiple issues

Views : 896

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 20th, 2022, 20:31   #1
samisnake

Default c70 key doesn't work in door; sorted multiple issues

over the past week or so, have been fixing up my brothers 04 c70 conv in preperation for a trip to scotland hes taking in august.
done cambelt and waterpump (ina belt/tensioner/roller and aisin pump), 'new' used coolant bottle to solve a leak, got that off a 2010 xc90 and came with the cap and level sensor for £15, replaced the fuel flap motor as the old one worked when it felt like, and screwed in the knee dash trim that kept coming loose.

only issue left is that the key doesnt turn the drivers door lock.
was an issue about 6 months ago where his battery was flat and couldnt get into the car. AA had to hook up to the starter motor to open the doors. want to sort the issue, anyone have any tips?
samisnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 21:38   #2
ITSv40
VOC Member

If the car locks using the remote, I think it will be a mechanical problem between the lock barrel and the door lock - link come detached or something broken. Remove the door card and investigate.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 21:54   #3
samisnake

Gonna give that a go in a few days, will report back
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 22:29   #4
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
If the car locks using the remote, I think it will be a mechanical problem between the lock barrel and the door lock - link come detached or something broken. Remove the door card and investigate.
Seconded, there's a metal rod that can pop out of its nylon housing IIRC, probably as simple as that. A bit of a faff taking the door card off etc. (be careful with the window switch pack, make sure all the parts don't fly off in a million different directions - ask me how I know...) but otherwise reasonably straightforward when I did mine.
Old Jul 21st, 2022, 18:22   #5
samisnake

update, ive really, really, really messed up.

took off the door card, removed the outside handle, the key lock itself is completely jammed up. doesnt even turn outside the car. whatever, can live with it.

worst thing is, somehow ive managed to break the door latch mech. it no longer opens from the outside. i think ive bent the brass coloured metal piece which attaches to the handle, enough to damage whatever its connected to internally. nothing i try makes the exterior handle part open the lock.

im at a loss here. door can still be opened from the inside, so thats a saving grace. but cant even figure out how to remove the lock to replace it. haynes manual is no help. guessing the whole window regulator has to come out?

proper demoralising. havent fixed the original issue, and created much worse ones. tired.
Old Jul 21st, 2022, 20:51   #6
richmac

Hi,

Start with the following link:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm

Then search for RobertDIY's videos on V70 latches in YouTube; there are half a dozen covering alll aspects. There are a few others in there as well.

Best regards,

Rich.
richmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2022, 21:13   #7
samisnake

cheers for the link, sadly the c70 differs from the v70 in that you cant just pull the lock out. the window reg is in the way.

been watching roberts videos for a while, hes a good guy
Old Jul 21st, 2022, 21:49   #8
richmac

My apologies; I understood the lower mechanicals to be the same. Looks like even the man himself struggled:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DHDRSC3
richmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2023, 19:25   #9
samisnake

Late update,
Yesterday finally got around to replacing the door lock. It's been 6 months where he's had to open the drivers door from the inside, poor guy.
I strongly believe that the reason for the key not working in the cylinder is that the drivers door has been changed due to accident damage in the past, and whoever replaced it did not change over the locks. Couple indicators for that theory such as repainted wing, and cream coloured door panel trim pins.

Regardless, removed the window regulator and changed over the lock mechanism. Door now opens as it should.
Risks of buying a cheap used car.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samisnake For This Useful Post: