Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

High Running Idle

Views : 2854

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 1st, 2021, 16:10   #1
PurpleTurbo

Thumbs down High Running Idle

Hi again!
I had just left the local shops today after work and the 940 wouldnt start, I have been having issues with it not turning over on the first try when hot for a couple weeks now. However, this is the first time it wouldnt start at all.
Anyway after about an hour of sitting in the car park questioning my life choices it finally decided to start.
But, it decided to idle at 1.5krpm then when I started driving it increased further (see video) but if i came to a stop it would drop back to 1.5krpm.

Has anyone had an issue like this and could anyone shed some light on whats wrong?

Video: https://youtu.be/b9TFm93eY6o
PurpleTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleTurbo For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2021, 18:01   #2
TonyS9
Premier Member

There won't be a magic one symptom one fault answer. You need to diagnose it.

Start by checking any codes logged

Then when it doesn't start check if the rev counter is moving atall during cranking. If might not move for the first second or so. This will tell you if you have most of the conditions for sparks.

Then check if the pump is priming, listen for the whine when you turn the key (96 on need about 10s before it will prime again).

Lack of speed signal cause cause it to rev high if you use full power, but it would usually start.
You could also have an air leak.

And if you are looking for help, some details on the car and engine would be helpful.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2021, 20:08   #3
PurpleTurbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
There won't be a magic one symptom one fault answer. You need to diagnose it.

Start by checking any codes logged

Then when it doesn't start check if the rev counter is moving atall during cranking. If might not move for the first second or so. This will tell you if you have most of the conditions for sparks.

Then check if the pump is priming, listen for the whine when you turn the key (96 on need about 10s before it will prime again).

Lack of speed signal cause cause it to rev high if you use full power, but it would usually start.
You could also have an air leak.

And if you are looking for help, some details on the car and engine would be helpful.
Its a 2.3 LPT 5 speed manual, the car will fire for like half a second when starting before spluttering to a stop, I also need to have full throttle to turn the car over when it does start.
Ill listen for the fuel pump in the morning, I dont have a code reader either so will order one ASAP.
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleTurbo For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 00:15   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTurbo View Post
Its a 2.3 LPT 5 speed manual, the car will fire for like half a second when starting before spluttering to a stop, I also need to have full throttle to turn the car over when it does start.
Ill listen for the fuel pump in the morning, I dont have a code reader either so will order one ASAP.
First comment is you appear to be driving? Difficult to tell as it's filmed in portrait mode and not landscape so all i see is a narrow strip of image down the middle of the screen.

What year is the car, what fuel are you running on and are you having any cold start problems?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 05:09   #5
PurpleTurbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
First comment is you appear to be driving? Difficult to tell as it's filmed in portrait mode and not landscape so all i see is a narrow strip of image down the middle of the screen.

What year is the car, what fuel are you running on and are you having any cold start problems?
Yes I'm driving, the idle only acts like that while I'm driving.
Its a 1998 celebration and I'm not 100% sure what fuel I'm running.
No issues on cold start
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 11:56   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTurbo View Post
Yes I'm driving, the idle only acts like that while I'm driving.
Its a 1998 celebration and I'm not 100% sure what fuel I'm running.
No issues on cold start
When you stop, what does the idle speed do?

Where do you buy your petrol and what grade?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 17:49   #7
TonyS9
Premier Member

If its working atall the pump should be working, I was thinking more general diagnosis when I said that.

The rev counter is your best indicator to start with. The needle should flicker if its not starting, indicating a fuel problem. If not its an ignition problem, but not 100% certain eitherway. If its firing a bit, sounds like you are getting sparks, but needle movement during cranking would be easy to check and confirm (mostly) its a fuel issue.

For codes you don't need anything fancy, there is an OBD2 socket but an OBD 2 reader won't work unfortunately, you need to build you own, but you can basically do it by jamming in an LED on a wire (this is basically how the pre-96 OBD works, but you get the LED in the car without the pretend OBD socket).

Having to apply throttle could be a sign of low fuel pressure, the fuel pressure regulator is a common problem, but high idle is not normally a sign, it might be an unknown reaction buy the later managament systems. Ideally get the fuel pressure checked.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 20:25   #8
PurpleTurbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
When you stop, what does the idle speed do?

Where do you buy your petrol and what grade?
When I stop the idle was settling to normal levels. After yesterday it settles to 1.5krpm but I havent driven since then.
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 20:27   #9
PurpleTurbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
If its working atall the pump should be working, I was thinking more general diagnosis when I said that.

The rev counter is your best indicator to start with. The needle should flicker if its not starting, indicating a fuel problem. If not its an ignition problem, but not 100% certain eitherway. If its firing a bit, sounds like you are getting sparks, but needle movement during cranking would be easy to check and confirm (mostly) its a fuel issue.

For codes you don't need anything fancy, there is an OBD2 socket but an OBD 2 reader won't work unfortunately, you need to build you own, but you can basically do it by jamming in an LED on a wire (this is basically how the pre-96 OBD works, but you get the LED in the car without the pretend OBD socket).

Having to apply throttle could be a sign of low fuel pressure, the fuel pressure regulator is a common problem, but high idle is not normally a sign, it might be an unknown reaction buy the later managament systems. Ideally get the fuel pressure checked.
Is there a guide somewhere on here on how to do the odb thing? I'll try to get the fuel pressure checked next week if not this weekend
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 22:26   #10
TonyS9
Premier Member

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...ic.php?t=31187

Not sure exactly which pins are for which ECU, each ECU has its own pin to trigger it to flash the LED. But more googling could find that out.

There are designs on here somewhere with a full parts list and switchable reader.

Tags
940, issues, killme, problem