Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940s 2.0 compression values.

Views : 1246

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 10th, 2021, 22:46   #11
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanadeo View Post
I noticed a lip round the inner part of the disk close to the hub.. I wonder if when I cleaned and freed everything the pads or something has shifted and are catching on that lip, one of the pins were seized too.. I'm collecting some fresh pads and disks tomorrow. If I get time I'll do it all tomorrow and report back..

I hope I can do it cos Its not brilliant driving round with a loose carrier bolt .. I keep checking it and it's snug but finger tight.
Get some pics while you're at it and upload them to postimages.org then copy and paste the "Hotlink for forums" for each image into your post.

There's a blue button at the end of the links, make sure you click the correct one and that automatically copies the link for that pic.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2021, 15:12   #12
Ian21401
Premier Member

Hello again Vanadeo,
This is with reference to your comment in your thread in General Volvo Discussions on 6th May re the horn operation but I guess that you will be wanting to sort out those brake problems first.
Anyway, when you re-visit the horn problem I suggest that you have a look at this thread. Bob's post #5 re the button removal and my post #14 re the wiring and circuitry.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...ht=horn+button

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2021, 23:45   #13
Vanadeo

Back again .. have done the brakes. Tomorrow I am going to pay attention to the offside front and do some more cleaning. I was more thorough on the nearside but ran out of time to go back to the other side.. Good thing is the wheels are no longer getting excessive heat.

Thank you Ian for that, I will check it out.

I am considering an engine swap at some point, will look into the B230.. Will that fit with the current tranny?
Vanadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vanadeo For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2021, 00:02   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

I am considering an engine swap at some point, will look into the B230.. Will that fit with the current tranny?
Yes.

Basically the same engine but bigger displacement, should be a spanner job to fit it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old May 13th, 2021, 00:14   #15
Vanadeo

Brilliant, I'll get saving . With regard to the horn, both the units are toast, one is working (after I bashed it with a hammer) but sounds like a clowns horn lol, so I need two new units and the spring-loaded slip contact in the steering wheel is what's failed also, so I need to source one of them.

Thanks again! ..
Old May 13th, 2021, 00:42   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Brilliant, I'll get saving . With regard to the horn, both the units are toast, one is working (after I bashed it with a hammer) but sounds like a clowns horn lol, so I need two new units and the spring-loaded slip contact in the steering wheel is what's failed also, so I need to source one of them.

Thanks again! ..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224078530231

Those should do the trick to get you legal - not sure what you mean when you say the steering wheel contact has failed?

Usually they're fairly bombproof so why do you think it's failed?

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2021, 08:42   #17
Vanadeo

Bought them, thanks! ..

https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...-horn/1019200/

That new part has a spring on it .. my spring is missing and the bit on the end. Had to push the back of mine so it hit the contact ring but now it has stopped all together.
Old May 13th, 2021, 17:03   #18
Vanadeo

Fixed my horn.

I still need the units (they're on the way) but the slip connector I have fixed. I was going to order one off Skandix but the price of shipping was bringing it to nearly £50.. Soo I found a fat nail and a spring from a guitar pickup and did this..

Worked fine ever since.
Old May 13th, 2021, 19:38   #19
Ian21401
Premier Member

Well done. Good old war time “make do and mend”.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2021, 19:54   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Fixed my horn.

I still need the units (they're on the way) but the slip connector I have fixed. I was going to order one off Skandix but the price of shipping was bringing it to nearly £50.. Soo I found a fat nail and a spring from a guitar pickup and did this..

Worked fine ever since.
Don't know if you noticed but the Skandix link said those were NLA so well done on the fix!

I've done quite a few repairs (and in some cases upgrades!) using alternative parts - for example the ARB drop-links on my other beast are prone to wearing rapidly and the only ones available are NOS - they were new in 1998 though!

As such they even more quickly so i devised a slightly different bush i could pour myself using cold-cure PU (like polybushes but home made) and with a larger area of rubber to cope with the movement.

Likewise i used some Polybushes (off the shelf) to repair the upper wishbone bearing (which is really a bush with a phosphor bronze insert) with PU top-hat bushes, again increasing the area where the most wear would take place.

Always on the lookout for imrpovised fixes that will last!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:

Tags
940, compression, piston