Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brake lights not working.

Views : 1604

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 21st, 2021, 15:55   #1
PurpleTurbo

Thumbs down Brake lights not working.

Hi guys,

Today after I thought I had fixed all my brake light issues I have found yet another problem.

When braking only the centre brake light illuminated, it has brand new dual filament bulbs in both corner lights and I have fitted a new brake switch as the car was missing one when I bought it.
When braking the light out warning on the dashboard also comes up.
As far as I can tell the bulb holders are making good contact with the contacts

Any help is much appreciated! TIA.
PurpleTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2021, 18:33   #2
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default New bulbs

The NS brake light shares the feed with the center brake light, so it does not seem to be a feeding circuit problem. The breaker switch shoud be all right.
The light out warning compares NS+center and OS, so if only the center ligt is working, it responds to the imbalance.
Are you sure both new bulbs are working, the correct type and correctly fitted?
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2021, 21:23   #3
PurpleTurbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rversteeg View Post
The NS brake light shares the feed with the center brake light, so it does not seem to be a feeding circuit problem. The breaker switch shoud be all right.
The light out warning compares NS+center and OS, so if only the center ligt is working, it responds to the imbalance.
Are you sure both new bulbs are working, the correct type and correctly fitted?
Theyre the right type, one of them when fitting I couldnt twist it for some reason, however the DRL still works so that would tell me it is still making good enough contact.
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleTurbo For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2021, 22:22   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTurbo View Post
Theyre the right type, one of them when fitting I couldnt twist it for some reason, however the DRL still works so that would tell me it is still making good enough contact.
No, the DRL which is in fact the taillight and should be dimmer than the brake lights works off a different contact on the base of the bulb. Are you sure the brake light filaments are intact and working?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2021, 00:18   #5
PurpleTurbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
No, the DRL which is in fact the taillight and should be dimmer than the brake lights works off a different contact on the base of the bulb. Are you sure the brake light filaments are intact and working?
Okay ive just checked the video I took to check the brake lights, the taillights are the same brightness as the centre brake light wether braking or not.

I dont know much about troubleshooting problems but it seems like the brake lights are on all the time maybe? but then I would think that the bulb out light wouldnt illuminate in that case but clearly I am wrong.
Old May 22nd, 2021, 01:01   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Okay ive just checked the video I took to check the brake lights, the taillights are the same brightness as the centre brake light wether braking or not.

I dont know much about troubleshooting problems but it seems like the brake lights are on all the time maybe? but then I would think that the bulb out light wouldnt illuminate in that case but clearly I am wrong.
Pull the brake light fuse or you'll have a flat battery then! The brake lights work regardless on the 7/9xx range.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2021, 08:20   #7
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Check the two positive feeds to the lamp-holder: Yellow/Red is the stop light feed, Grey/Black is the tail-lamp feed. They might have been swapped over at some point in the past even though there are coloured stickers on the lamp assembly for the benefit of the hard-of-thinking.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2021, 09:58   #8
Ian21401
Premier Member

It appears that the brake light filament (21w) in the bulbs is being fed by the tail light feed which is live when running.
In your post ( #3 ) you mention that you couldn’t twist one of the bulbs. It’s either the wrong bulb or the holder is damaged or you were not putting it in correctly. Stop/Tail bulbs have the pins offset, but you probably know that.
Or, as Loki suggests ( post # 7 ) the wiring is wrong.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2021, 17:48   #9
PurpleTurbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
It appears that the brake light filament (21w) in the bulbs is being fed by the tail light feed which is live when running.
In your post ( #3 ) you mention that you couldn’t twist one of the bulbs. It’s either the wrong bulb or the holder is damaged or you were not putting it in correctly. Stop/Tail bulbs have the pins offset, but you probably know that.
Or, as Loki suggests ( post # 7 ) the wiring is wrong.
Its the right kind of bulb im almost certain, the holder being damaged would make the most sense to me.

If I flip the connectors around the lights do not illuminate at all.
Old May 22nd, 2021, 17:55   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Its the right kind of bulb im almost certain, the holder being damaged would make the most sense to me.

If I flip the connectors around the lights do not illuminate at all.
That doesn't make sense if they are normal bulbs unless a filament is blwon. Do you have a multimeter?

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:

Tags
940, brake, issue