Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MY22 order cancelled

Views : 4893

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2022, 17:19   #1
Obz331

Default MY22 order cancelled

Well, after placing my order through our Fleet management team on 15th Nov for a V60 Recharge and getting confirmation of the order placed with Volvo I've now been informed, 3 months later that there are no longer any build slots for MY22. Instead I have to re-order a MY23 instead so it will be the Plus Dark edition and hopefully I can go for the part leather along with the dark roof lining (our fleet guys are very strict on ordering options, even no cost ones)
On the plus side I now get 19" wheels along with heated steering wheel, two options I would have added if I could. I have reservation on the Google infotainment but we'll see how that pans out.
Current expected delivery is July/August
Obz331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2022, 14:23   #2
distantvoice

Default Order Cancelled

So I placed my XC40 order in October. I have had a few updates pushing it back a couple of weeks. Its due in three weeks. Today I got the call- its cancelled!

Second-hand a year old, if I could find the same spec, would cost £5000 more. Volvo are offering a token discount off the new model. The new model has inferior specs to mine and will cost a few thousand more, which I don't have.

Where do I stand? I contracted with Volvo. They took my deposit and have at the last minute failed to honour our contract. They are still in business and still making cars so this is a business decision.

If I want to but the 2022/2023 model I will have to pay considerably more and there is no guarantee that I won't go to the back of the queue.

Morally they should provide a similar spec car for the same price, morally for a bit less, as it won't be what they contracted to supply. Is there a legal requirement though? I feel as if there should be, in contract law.
distantvoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2022, 15:58   #3
Rocinante
Master Member

I would think it would entirely depend on the contract, and the stipulations therein for cancelation by either party. A contract could have written that either party can cancel with no notice, or that it could be heavy fines are imposed for cancelling, or anywhere in-between.

However, even if the contract is not in your favour, you may be able to push Volvo for some more goodwill.

Last edited by Rocinante; May 3rd, 2022 at 16:26.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2022, 19:24   #4
Dohnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by distantvoice View Post
So I placed my XC40 order in October. I have had a few updates pushing it back a couple of weeks. Its due in three weeks. Today I got the call- its cancelled!
Why? What reason did they give?
Old May 3rd, 2022, 21:29   #5
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:

Where do I stand? I contracted with Volvo. They took my deposit and have at the last minute failed to honour our contract. They are still in business and still making cars so this is a business decision.

Morally they should provide a similar spec car for the same price, morally for a bit less, as it won't be what they contracted to supply. Is there a legal requirement though? I feel as if there should be, in contract law.
Unfortunately business tends to trump morals in circumstances like these.

I reviewed Volvo's Terms and Conditions of Sales from when we bought our last car. Essentially Volvo can cancel the agreement in certain circumstances. If they do they will return your deposit and 'shall have no further liability to you'.

So it seems that there is no legal requirement for Volvo to provide a similar spec car for the same price.

I would ask for a bit more goodwill from them.
Old May 4th, 2022, 08:33   #6
distantvoice

No reason given. Called Volvo Uk and they asked me to call the dealer as it was a 'dealer issue'. The dealer seemed genuine enough. They wanted to sell a number of cars that had just been cancelled on them and had only just been told by Volvo.
Old May 4th, 2022, 09:12   #7
Dohnut

Quote:
No reason given. Called Volvo Uk and they asked me to call the dealer as it was a 'dealer issue'. The dealer seemed genuine enough. They wanted to sell a number of cars that had just been cancelled on them and had only just been told by Volvo.
I would certainly push your dealer for a reason. Something has clearly gone wrong here and "dealer issue" reads like Volvo UK think the issue lies with them.
Old May 4th, 2022, 12:11   #8
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohnut View Post
I would certainly push your dealer for a reason. Something has clearly gone wrong here and "dealer issue" reads like Volvo UK think the issue lies with them.
They actually seem to be pointing the finger at each other, VolvoUK are saying "dealer issue", and the dealer are saying Volvo cancelled the order, or are Volvo trying to say they cancelled the order because of something the dealer did.

I don't supposed it matters which, if you're contract allows them to do so. All you can hope to do is raise the matter up the chain and hope customer service wins out, but with such long wait lists for cars, I'm not sure how desperate the car companies are for sales at the minute.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2022, 20:11   #9
distantvoice

I believe the dealer. The salesman told me he had the whole day ahead of him repeating the news he gave to me. Volvo have just cut out a month or so of waiting orders and offered to sell a new spec at a much inflated price. Its almost unbelievable. Volvo just say that the contract is with the dealer and that I need to liaise with them. They have no information from Volvo. Its just an exercise to increase revenue in a difficult market. Commitment and brand reputation seem to have gone out of the window
Old May 4th, 2022, 20:11   #10
amdvol

Default Volvo cacelling

My local dealer told me that Volvo UK cancelled 20+ new car orders with them last week, advised customers to opt for MY23 and reorder at the back of the queue despite some orders being five months old.
There have been numerous people on Facebook forums stating the same cancelled orders.
It appears anyone who placed an order from mid October which was I believe for a MY22.5 until the MY23 orders started have had them cancelled by Volvo. It’s the dealers responsibility to then inform the customer and take the backlash.
amdvol is offline   Reply With Quote