Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 second hand purchase advice

Views : 7413

Replies : 78

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 1st, 2022, 10:22   #1
CanaryYellow

Default XC90 second hand purchase advice

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and thinking about purchasing my first Volvo. With an expanding family (2 kids, 6 and 3, and a third on the way) my BMW 330d isn't going to be big enough going forward, it isn't really big enough now!

An XC90 has always been the car that's number 1 in my thinking as the ideal family vehicle, the reliability surveys are making me a little uneasy though given I'd be looking at a 3.5 - 4 year old vehicle.

I've tried to look through the forum to get an idea of known issues, but I'm not sure I've got to grips with it. I would be avoiding the T8 hybrid, and looking at a T5 or a D5. From everything I've read, the D5 suits the car better, but my mileage will only be about 7k per year such that I haven't ruled out a T5.

For you guys that own an XC90 of a similar age already, what would you say I need to know? I'd go via Volvo Selekt and benefit from an initial 12 month warranty, potentially I'd look to have a warranty beyond that too, although I'd judge that in the future.

The alternative is a Q7, and i like the idea of the 3l diesel engine on that, but everything else I prefer the XC90.

Thank you in advance.
CanaryYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2022, 11:09   #2
Giles11

I think it’s pretty safe bet although I would recommend MY18 onwards as they seem to have dealt with a lot of the initial glitches by then. I’m delighted with mine after 4.5 years, 40k miles and 55 mpg average since new. Only issues have been with Sensus and the VOLVO on call app which are prone to bugs, a bit slow and lacking user friendliness in my opinion. But it’s a supremely comfortable (best seats on the market) and practical family car. Amber interior still looking good and, 8 years after unveiling, this has to be the best looking suv in its category

Last edited by Giles11; Jun 1st, 2022 at 12:53.
Giles11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Giles11 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 1st, 2022, 11:44   #3
techwatcher
Master Member

Given your low mileage, petrol may be a better option, although it depends on the type of journeys. Diesels don't like short trips but if it's mostly longer and / or motorway journeys you may be OK.

Apropos warranties, I wouldn't run a car like this without a warranty. Repairs can get very expensive, very quickly. As example, a recent poster on here needed a new LED headlight and was quoted £1500 for a new one (gulp!).
Old Jun 1st, 2022, 11:55   #4
CanaryYellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwatcher View Post
Given your low mileage, petrol may be a better option, although it depends on the type of journeys. Diesels don't like short trips but if it's mostly longer and / or motorway journeys you may be OK.

Apropos warranties, I wouldn't run a car like this without a warranty. Repairs can get very expensive, very quickly. As example, a recent poster on here needed a new LED headlight and was quoted £1500 for a new one (gulp!).
Thank you - I'll look into warranties in due course. I'm ok with a biggish bill every so often as part of routine maintenance and upkeep, I figure that it's a cost of running a slightly older car, but equally more than offset by the lower depreciation compared to something newer.

However, warranty would give me peace of mind in case of something very big, and also in case of something very annoying, like £1,500 for a new LED unit!

With regard to usage, it does tend to be shortish trips around town predominantly, with a longer run every couple of weeks. Haven't had any issues with the 330d, other than wishing I'd gone for a 340i! But the 3 series is very different to the XC90, which weighs considerably more - I think that I'd need to test drive both and see, I'd be concerned by a lack of low down torque in the petrol. I imagine the diesel feels faster in everyday usage.

Last edited by CanaryYellow; Jun 1st, 2022 at 11:58.
Old Jun 1st, 2022, 11:56   #5
CanaryYellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles11 View Post
I think it’s pretty safe bet although I would recommend MY18 onwards as they seem to have dealt with a lot of the initial glitches by then. I’m delighted with mine after 4.5 years, 40k miles and 55 mpg average since new. Only issues have been with Sensus which is a bit slow and lacking user friendliness in my opinion. But it’s a supremely comfortable (best seats on the market) and practical family car. Amber interior still looking good and, 9 years after unveiling, this has to be the best looking suv in its category
I completely agree about the styling, the q7 is very bland in comparison (in my opinion).

Please excuse my ignorance, what is MY18 in practical terms? Registered from what date?
Old Jun 1st, 2022, 12:36   #6
Giles11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaryYellow View Post
I completely agree about the styling, the q7 is very bland in comparison (in my opinion).

Please excuse my ignorance, what is MY18 in practical terms? Registered from what date?
I’m not entirely sure but build from fourth quarter 2017 I’d say. Mine left the factory October 2017. It’s just a rule of thumb, clearly a warranty is always a good thing.
Old Jun 1st, 2022, 12:57   #7
CanaryYellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles11 View Post
I’m not entirely sure but build from fourth quarter 2017 I’d say. Mine left the factory October 2017. It’s just a rule of thumb, clearly a warranty is always a good thing.
Very helpful, thank you.

I think the oldest I'd want to go is 4 years old give or take a month or two, so lets say March 2018 onwards, i.e. a 18 plate.
Old Jun 1st, 2022, 13:58   #8
Lexman8
Premier Member

Volvo would normally start shipping the next model year in May of the then current year; e.g. MY19 cars would start production in May 2018, give or take a month.

However, I think more recent cars are on a different schedule because of all the supply line issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 1st, 2022, 15:24   #9
TaffyJerseyBean

I’ve recently bought my first Volvo after years of owning German premium brand cars. The XC90 and Q7 were on my final shortlist and I spent a lot of time weighing up both.

The Q7 is the more technologically advanced of the two, has a beautiful interior up front, has a more advanced infotainment system and has the better gearbox/engine set up. The XC90 has more safety equipment as standard, is far more comfortable, cheaper to buy and run and has a simplistic charm about the design of the cockpit. Both are highly practical, well made and exude quality. In short you would not be disappointed owning or driving either.

Where the XC90 won the match for me:

- Cost of ownership: servicing and insurance cheaper and real-world economy of the 2.0 litre engines is better than the 3.0 litre Audi engines. The XC90 was also cheaper to buy and had comparable depreciation.

- Performance: Although the Audi 45 and 55 six-cylinder diesel engines were sublime to drive, I found the B5 diesel was more than a match for a car the size of the XC90 (especially with the polestar performance upgrade that I opted for). The 235hp provides plenty of power for my needs.

- Refinement: standard suspension on the XC90 is fine so long as you don’t go greater than 20” rims. This avoids costly out-of-warranty repair bills on the more complex air set up of course. If you opt for a car with air suspension (and I would opt for a warranty if you do), I found the XC90 set up for comfort where the Q7 is definitely firmer.

- Practicality: both are big cars with plenty of space and will cope with anything a family can throw at them. However, the XC90 was far superior for me in terms of rear passenger comfort (especially the third row) and outright boot space in both 5 and 7 seat configuration. There’s also a nice high seating position in the Volvo that you don’t get in the Audi.

- Design: beauty is in the eye of beholder of course but I think the XC90 is a nicer car to look at and sit in. I found the Q7’s external design drab in comparison and the interior (although sumptuous) left me a little cold. There’s also shiny piano-black trim everywhere which would drive me potty if I had young kids!

- Dealers: Audi dealerships are impressive to walk around, their dealers less impressive. Every Audi dealer I have spoke to over the years always seem to want to push the cars coming in to them rather than discuss a factory order. There is always a “reason” why ordering from the factory is difficult, be that unknown lead times, lack of discount or not wanting your part exchange. It also feels like they are doing you a favour by giving you their time rather than you feeling valued as a potential customer. I’ve always found Volvo dealerships drab and old-school in comparison. However, on this occasion I found their dealers couldn’t do enough for me to source a car and win my business. I was pleasantly surprised coming from German cars over a long period of time and genuinely feel they beat their German brand counterparts on attitude and service right now.

So there’s my thoughts on both cars. Hope it helps and good luck with your car shopping!

Last edited by TaffyJerseyBean; Jun 1st, 2022 at 16:26.
TaffyJerseyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TaffyJerseyBean For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 1st, 2022, 19:54   #10
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX
Trader

Hi and welcome.
If you need any help with insurance at all for whatever vehicle your looking at then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX For This Useful Post: