Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 second hand purchase advice

Views : 7378

Replies : 78

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 1st, 2022, 20:22   #11
volvocamper
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaryYellow View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and thinking about purchasing my first Volvo. With an expanding family (2 kids, 6 and 3, and a third on the way) my BMW 330d isn't going to be big enough going forward, it isn't really big enough now!

An XC90 has always been the car that's number 1 in my thinking as the ideal family vehicle, the reliability surveys are making me a little uneasy though given I'd be looking at a 3.5 - 4 year old vehicle.

I've tried to look through the forum to get an idea of known issues, but I'm not sure I've got to grips with it. I would be avoiding the T8 hybrid, and looking at a T5 or a D5. From everything I've read, the D5 suits the car better, but my mileage will only be about 7k per year such that I haven't ruled out a T5.

For you guys that own an XC90 of a similar age already, what would you say I need to know? I'd go via Volvo Selekt and benefit from an initial 12 month warranty, potentially I'd look to have a warranty beyond that too, although I'd judge that in the future.

The alternative is a Q7, and i like the idea of the 3l diesel engine on that, but everything else I prefer the XC90.

Thank you in advance.
I had a mk1 XC90 new in 2009 until 2013 and loved every minute of ownership. Only issue with that car was 1 wheel bearing replaced at 3.5 years old.
2013 until 2018 moved to a V6 3.0 VW Touareg. Lovely car although the tech in that model by then was very limited.
Had been watching this forum as new model xc90 was out in 2015-6 and could see plenty of issues although mostly software glitches.
Loved the look of the XC90 and by 2018 was confident enough to order a new D5 R-Design Pro. I was initially sceptical of its performance following the V6 Touareg and we tow a 2000kg caravan even though tech specs of both cars were almost identical. I spent a couple of afternoons in Audi showroom but i just did not ‘like’ the Q7 from any angle really. The xc90 just looked right from all angles. The car arrived and i need not have worried at all abt the 2.0 4 cylinder engine - it just got on with the job even with the caravan on back- car was just unflappable and, with a longer wheelbase than the Touareg I guess was a better tow car too.
Had the car until March this year and loved every moment of ownership. There were just 2 dealer visits apart from services - at 3 months the ad-blue injector became clogged with urea. Dealer washed it out, carried out a software update (known problem apparently) and it was no more trouble. Then at 3.5 years old (and out of warranty) the Powerpulse hose came apart (this is deffo a known issue with cars of the vintage you are considering) but, it was attended to while we were on holiday by a helpful main dealer in Poole who sorted and fitted the new (upgraded) PP hose the same day and as it was my 2nd Volvo and full SH on both there was a 100% contribution from Volvo (was a £200 ‘fix’ apparently)
With Volvo’s great gesture still fresh in my mind and my 4 year lease only having 6 months left i ordered another new XC90 R-Design Pro B5 (D) which I received in march, didnt even look at anything else. This one has a few additional toys such as Polestar, HK audio Nappa seats and Car play which the last one didnt but ironically no longer comes with self-parking (no prob as I never used it on last one).
I only do approx 6k miles/annum but deffo wanted diesel for caravan towing duties.
Imho (and experience) you would be very happy with a 2018 (or newer XC90 as by then Volvo had sorted most of the glitches…..generally)
Love the new xc90 btw and definitely the right choice of car.
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvocamper For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2022, 20:27   #12
ArranS

I bought my then 3 year old XC90 D5 R-Design 13 months ago from a Volvo dealer and boy am I glad I got a 12 month warranty with it. It's been in and out of there about 7 times with a number of issues. The beginning of the year they had it for 11 days. Powerpulse problems, ad blue problems, the seat mechanism broke, software problems, all kinds of stuff.
Since the 11 days of being in a rather nice V60CC courtesy car, the car has been absolutely fine. Until I went on holiday last week. Engine management light back on again, I think the fifth time in 13 months, which 3 days later decided to turn itself off. Then for some unknown reason the Android Auto/Car Play USB has decided to stop working, but the second port still works? So you're definitely right to be concerned about reliability. I can't comment on other brands, but I won't be buying another Volvo.
Other than that the car is great, handles ok for a big car too, goes ok, stops ok. Comfortable to drive, plenty of space. For a luxury vehicle I think the interior on pre face-lift cars is a bit underwhelming. Especially when you consider that they now fit the same touch screen in the LEVC vans. Standard kit is different from year to year, I wanted a 2017 or later car because they came standard with front and rear parking sensors and heated seats on R-Design (I think it was 2017). But then you don't get the self park thing. Reverse camera wasn't standard then though either, just really weird how they did things, so don't just assume the car you look at has something you really want on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to ArranS For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 00:51   #13
lordofthejungle

Went through same and you can read my experience if you search my previous posts. I would recommend XC90. Have driven Q7 so can’t tell as a comparison. However had A4 and A5 so familiar with the brand and would have loved Audi. But besides the known and unknown issues you read here what made a key difference is Intellisafe Pro. It has already saved me bacon and money by braking when I was busy looking at Lakes is Lake District and the traffics coming to a stop without telling me first. Secondly warning me of a car crossing as I was reversing out of a blind spot. With 2 kids and 3rd on the way, it’s a no brained. You can always replace a engine…
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 07:32   #14
volvocamper
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArranS View Post
I bought my then 3 year old XC90 D5 R-Design 13 months ago from a Volvo dealer and boy am I glad I got a 12 month warranty with it. It's been in and out of there about 7 times with a number of issues. The beginning of the year they had it for 11 days. Powerpulse problems, ad blue problems, the seat mechanism broke, software problems, all kinds of stuff.
Since the 11 days of being in a rather nice V60CC courtesy car, the car has been absolutely fine. Until I went on holiday last week. Engine management light back on again, I think the fifth time in 13 months, which 3 days later decided to turn itself off. Then for some unknown reason the Android Auto/Car Play USB has decided to stop working, but the second port still works? So you're definitely right to be concerned about reliability. I can't comment on other brands, but I won't be buying another Volvo.
Other than that the car is great, handles ok for a big car too, goes ok, stops ok. Comfortable to drive, plenty of space. For a luxury vehicle I think the interior on pre face-lift cars is a bit underwhelming. Especially when you consider that they now fit the same touch screen in the LEVC vans. Standard kit is different from year to year, I wanted a 2017 or later car because they came standard with front and rear parking sensors and heated seats on R-Design (I think it was 2017). But then you don't get the self park thing. Reverse camera wasn't standard then though either, just really weird how they did things, so don't just assume the car you look at has something you really want on it.
Sorry to hear of your problems and i realise of no consolation to you but by 2018 most of the annoyances should have been sorted and this was my own experience. Hope the dealer can get these out of the way and you can get on with enjoying the car.
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 12:07   #15
johnny250
Volvo Virgin

Default Old car

Don't discount an older car! I know nothing about newer cars or their problems but can say that my 2013 XC90 D5 Exec. has been ultra reliable and cheap to run. 102,000 with mainly 'short' journeys, with only a yearly oil & filters change, one off brake discs pads and belts the ONLY expense. Sailed through all MOT's with NO issues.
Newer doesn't always mean better.

P.S my OLD car comes with front/rear parking sensors, heated seats sunroof and rear camera....!

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/vbpic...do=view&g=6286

Last edited by johnny250; Jun 6th, 2022 at 12:31.
johnny250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2022, 11:08   #16
Discoman

My T5 is coming up to three years old and I am still really happy with it. I obviously cannot comment about how they go wrong as they get older yet but I intend to keep mine another four or so years and fully appreciate that there might be some big bills - like with any modern, large, complex car - but the much reduced depreciation when they get older will compensate.

PS I test drove the D5 and bought the T5. However, there will be a lot more D5s to choose from.
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 14:58   #17
CanaryYellow

Thanks everyone. Really helpful advice and thoughts.

Looking at Volvo Selekt, seems for my c.£35k budget I'll be looking at a 2018 (18/68 plate) in the spec I'd want, which I think is an R-Design with a panoramic/sliding roof, ideally in one of the grey colours (saville / osmium).

Most likely a D5, although there is a T6 available with 54k on the clock, I think I'd rather try and find a lower mileage one if possible.

Do the alcantara parts of the R-Design seats last well? I've always assumed they are more delicate than a regular leather equivalent?

Also, given the price of second hand cars at the moment, any thoughts on the extent to which it's possible to haggle on price with dealers?

Thanks again for your help
CanaryYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 15:32   #18
rhd443

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaryYellow View Post
Thanks everyone. Really helpful advice and thoughts.

Looking at Volvo Selekt, seems for my c.£35k budget I'll be looking at a 2018 (18/68 plate) in the spec I'd want, which I think is an R-Design with a panoramic/sliding roof, ideally in one of the grey colours (saville / osmium).

Most likely a D5, although there is a T6 available with 54k on the clock, I think I'd rather try and find a lower mileage one if possible.

Do the alcantara parts of the R-Design seats last well? I've always assumed they are more delicate than a regular leather equivalent?

Also, given the price of second hand cars at the moment, any thoughts on the extent to which it's possible to haggle on price with dealers?

Thanks again for your help
Find the registration of the car and do a Cazoo sell price check on their website, or use WBAC with a spare email address, that will give you an idea of what they are selling for, i suspect you will have zero movement as they will just hold on for another buyer.

I went to see 7 cars during the past 6 months, (not volvo cars mind but the same franchise that runs some Volvo dealers), but most had hidden service history or hidden past where main dealers had bought from auction (desperate) or places like WBAC or the car buying group plc, and just bang them onto their forecourt with a warranty and called them approved used. I intend to go in eyes wide open for used cars for the next 5 years if i need another.
rhd443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 15:49   #19
CanaryYellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhd443 View Post
Find the registration of the car and do a Cazoo sell price check on their website, or use WBAC with a spare email address, that will give you an idea of what they are selling for, i suspect you will have zero movement as they will just hold on for another buyer.

I went to see 7 cars during the past 6 months, (not volvo cars mind but the same franchise that runs some Volvo dealers), but most had hidden service history or hidden past where main dealers had bought from auction (desperate) or places like WBAC or the car buying group plc, and just bang them onto their forecourt with a warranty and called them approved used. I intend to go in eyes wide open for used cars for the next 5 years if i need another.
How can you find out the vehicles past in that much detail? And does it matter if the vehicle has a full main dealer service history?

What I'm getting at is what extra would you expect to get from a car being "approved used" beyond the warranty?
CanaryYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 20:15   #20
lordofthejungle

I am no way and expert and dread the second had buying experience!! Volvo approved would be a safe bet but don’t discount independents where you might get a better spec for same money. If you plan to take a 3 year warranty then maybe the Select advantage is negated? After all permutations and combinations you probably will have a brain fade moment and just go with your guts! Ensure it’s got the intellisafe pro stuff - it kinda what makes Volvo Volvo for me…