Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

740 cam chain and timing

Views : 1846

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2022, 18:04   #21
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
If your distributor is mounted on the rear end of the cylinder head, cancel your order for the strobe light as it's non-adjustable!

Also thinking in terms of your age and knowing how tight the crank pulley bolt has to be, i would suggest a different approach - put it in to a trusted local mechanic, it should take less than an hour and will save you the prospect of a visit to A&E at the QA.

Money well spent IMHO and i expect i probably speak for others in saying we'd prefer to see you on these pages asking questions/advice and hopefully even just posting happy events involving you and your car than not!
Read my first response to the thread again Dave they're not meant to be but some accidentally are through degradation of the plastic bolt locator.

Last edited by 360beast; Jun 14th, 2022 at 18:07.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 18:08   #22
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I'll see what distributors I've got lying around and try to get some photos.
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 18:24   #23
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgrid View Post
It looks as if Loki is in Cheshire, so postage there and back could be a few quid. I always feel a bit uncomfortable about borrowing tools, so I may just buy one. I hear the comment about being careful, but if I am doing the job in a layby or on the beach, I may get distracted.
I'm 80 next week, so maybe I'll buy one as a birthday present to me.

i've just ordered a strobe timing light for the ignition, as i don't think i'm good enough to adjust it by ear.
Postage cost is by weight, not distance

Also age is only a number ! If you think you can do it then go for it
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 18:40   #24
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Read my first response to the thread again Dave they're not meant to be but some accidentally are through degradation of the plastic bolt locator.
I saw it first time round Luke, the problem is they're not intended to be adjustable so any adjustment gained (or even percieved to be gained) will be cancelled out by the EZK unit to keep the timing where it thinks it should be. Easiest to leave the dizzy alone unless it's leaking oil past the seals which you know more about than me having done several.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 21:13   #25
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

Thanks for the kind words, but i still seem to be healthy, and i can pick up a washing machine to load it into the van.
I'm a bit confused about the distributor, as i ca slacken two bolts and rotate the body. There are timing marks, and slightovement seems to make a difference to the engine running. I hear what you say about the ecu compensating and i guess i need to find out a bit more about the ignition

I want the tools as i am negotiating for a 240 estate that is in a farmers field and that probably will need an engine overhaul.
Offgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Offgrid For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2022, 00:28   #26
Forrest
VOC Member

In my experience having the correct tools makes these sort of jobs much more straightforward. The crank pulley retainer, Volvo part number 9995284, enables you to focus on undoing and tightening the crank bolt safe in the knowledge that nothing is likely to slip or get damaged. Definitely worth it.

I have found it doesn't tend to fit at exactly TDC though which means you end up having to re-align everything before fitting the new belt. Not too much of a problem.

I have also found that using the correct insertion tools for the front seals makes sense. They are designed to insert the seals without the edges flipping over or the springs getting misplaced which can happen very easily if you just drive them in with something roughly the right size. I've built my collection up over the years, thus spreading the cost.

If you think you might need to replace the front seals at the same time as the doing the belt; which can make sense, then a generic cam sprocket tool can also be very helpful for holding the cam and intermediate pulleys while you remove and refit them. Otherwise, you can use the old belt for this if you have to.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2022, 08:35   #27
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Default Crankshaft locking tool

I just thought I'd "pop up" on this thread.

Postage was around £4 each way the last time I sent it out so it will now be more expensive. (Thank you, Royal Mail.) The donation to charity is optional.

I'm not too fussed about how long the tool is on loan for, within reason, so you could borrow it once and do both cars' timing belts in one fell swoop.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2022, 12:44   #28
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

Default Crankshaft holding tool

Thanks for the offer, but I decided to buy the tool £38 inc. postage on Ebay. It seems it is going to take at least two weeks before I get a chance to view the 240. It's locked on a farm, and I'm having to negotiate through a 3rd party. Trying to get 4 people to agree on a date and time is a nightmare, especially as one went to America for a week. It seems the owner gave up on the 240 because of body rust, but the engine and many other bits should be fine. I'll post some photos when I get a chance to view it.
I bought the crankshaft tool because I have decided I want to flip 240s and 740s if I get a chance to buy them cheaply. It's probably worth replacing the cam belt on them before selling them.
i'm in Hampshire, so when I get the tool I can help anyone local to change their belt. I'll probably buy a valve depressing tool and a box of shims. The 740 has got what I think is tappet rattle, so I can fix that with the tool.
Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 19:21   #29
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

The crankshaft holding tool has arrived at last so if anyone is in East Hants and wants to use one, then send me a pm.
Some of the videos I've watched include the replacement of 3 oil rings while the belt is being replaced, is this something I should be doing?
Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 20:36   #30
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgrid View Post
The crankshaft holding tool has arrived at last so if anyone is in East Hants and wants to use one, then send me a pm.
Some of the videos I've watched include the replacement of 3 oil rings while the belt is being replaced, is this something I should be doing?
I would, they're always peeing out oil.

Camshaft and aux shaft seal 6842273 they use the same seal.
Crankshaft seal 1276425

Use genuine Volvo only.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:

Tags
ignition timing, timing chain, volvo 740