Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brake fluid reservoir cleaning

Views : 456

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 19th, 2022, 10:16   #1
Hebaristo

Default Brake fluid reservoir cleaning

Hi guys, I'm taking advantage of the weekend to do maintenance tasks on my 97 940 lpt. Renewing the brake fluid. Yesterday I vacuumed part of the brake reservoir, my surprise was that there is a part of the reservoir that does not come out vacuuming, I suppose it is the part that feeds the ABS. My question is, how do you get that fluid out of the brake reservoir? I suspect by pulling the reservoir up and dislodging it from the master cylinder. If so, should I bleed the master cylinder afterwards? This one has two purge nipples, how should I purge? Your answers will be appreciated
Hebaristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2022, 23:47   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebaristo View Post
Hi guys, I'm taking advantage of the weekend to do maintenance tasks on my 97 940 lpt. Renewing the brake fluid. Yesterday I vacuumed part of the brake reservoir, my surprise was that there is a part of the reservoir that does not come out vacuuming, I suppose it is the part that feeds the ABS. My question is, how do you get that fluid out of the brake reservoir? I suspect by pulling the reservoir up and dislodging it from the master cylinder. If so, should I bleed the master cylinder afterwards? This one has two purge nipples, how should I purge? Your answers will be appreciated
After doing what you've done, the whole system needs bleeding already. Best bet is buy a Gunsons Easibleed and follow the instructions that come with it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 12:42   #3
Hebaristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
After doing what you've done, the whole system needs bleeding already. Best bet is buy a Gunsons Easibleed and follow the instructions that come with it.
Thanks for your reply Laird. I have a power bledeer to bleed the system. I have not managed to separate the brake fluid reservoir from the MC, when you say bleed the entire system, do you also mean the MC?
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 13:53   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks for your reply Laird. I have a power bledeer to bleed the system. I have not managed to separate the brake fluid reservoir from the MC, when you say bleed the entire system, do you also mean the MC?
My previous reply was deliberately brief to try and avoid ambiguity. Here's the longer version :

First, you shouldn't ever need to separate the reservoir from the master cylinder in normal service, only for repairs or replacement of the master cylinder.

Second, by vacuuming it out, you have already introduced air into the entire brake system. As such, it will need bleeding in its entirity to ensure removal of all air and contaminated fluid from the system.

When you say you have a power bleeder, what exactly do you mean? Certain types of these won't work particularly well with the Bosch ABS systems used on the 7/9xx ranges, particularly if they are the vacuum variety that apply vacuum to the bleed nipples.

My advice to you now would be, firstly remove the brake light fuse and then top up the master cylinder and weddge the brake pedal down overnight. Remove the wedge next day, refit the brake light fuse and ensure the brake lights work again.
Now, preferably using a Gunsons Easibleed, bleed the system starting with one rear wheel, then the next then move onto the front ideally in the same left-right or right-left order that you did the back end.
Neither of the Bosch ABS systems will tolerate "live bleeding" so make sure the ignition key is out of the car. You may get away with it (or appear to) once or maybe even twice but you may also cause damage that will be unseen for some considerable time.

Hope that makes things clearer!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 16:24   #5
Hebaristo

First of all thank you very much for your answers, you are a source of wisdom for Volvo!
Forgive me if some of your indications I do not understand perfectly, since I use Google translate to read and write the answers.
I have a power bledeer that wields pressure in the liquid reservoir. At the end of the message I attach a photo of my bleeder.
-Remove the brake light fuse, it refers to the fuses behind the ashtray or disconnect the brake switch next to the pedal.
-The wedge to press the brake all night means that you put weight on the pedal so that it stays down or that you put a wedge behind the pedal so that it does not make too much travel and risk breaking the lips of the master cylinder ?
I hope you don't feel overwhelmed by my questions, just that as I said before Google translate sometimes translates like crap.
Best regards!

Last edited by Hebaristo; Jun 20th, 2022 at 16:49.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hebaristo For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 16:45   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
First of all thank you very much for your answers, you are a source of wisdom for Volvo!
Forgive me if some of your indications I do not understand perfectly, since I use Google translate to read and write the answers.
I have a power bledeer that wields pressure in the liquid reservoir. At the end of the message I attach a photo of my bleeder Very similar to a Gunsons Easibleed!

-Remove the brake light fuse, it refers to the fuses behind the ashtray or disconnect the brake switch next to the pedal. Either method or remove the brake light bulbs - it's to prevent the battery being discharged by the brake lights being on overnight.

-The wedge to press the brake all night means that you put weight on the pedal so that it stays down or that you put a wedge behind the pedal so that it does not make too much travel and risk breaking the lips of the master cylinder ? Use something to keep the pedal as far down as it will go overnight. This opens the valves in the master cylinder so any air you have introduced by vacuuming it has a chance to escape overnight, aiding the bleeding process

I hope you don't feel overwhelmed by my questions, just that as I said before Google translate sometimes translates like crap.
Best regards!
I've added my answers into the quote of your response in blue above, sometimes Google translate is very good, other times incredibly bad!

Something that makes me laugh about Google Translate is the people who use it to translate a meaningful expression into Chinese or Japanese and it displays a letter/word in one of those languages that actually says "Google Translate can not translate this" - they then have this letter or word tattoo'd on themselves.

Old Jun 20th, 2022, 17:04   #7
Hebaristo

Hahahahahaha.. Your example on Google translator is very good.
Completely clarified doubts. I hope you are doing well, thanks again!
Cheers!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Hebaristo For This Useful Post: