Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wanted: 940 Turbo Tachometer w/boost gauge

Views : 610

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 1st, 2022, 09:43   #1
StrongSpearWorks

Default Wanted: 940 Turbo Tachometer w/boost gauge

My tachometer, I think, is goosed.
A healthy slap on the dash with the engine off will return the needle to 0. However, as soon as I start the car it will flip up to 2600 and stay there - even with the engine off.
I've checked the wiring, got continuity... my guess is the actual clock is somehow broken internally, so I'm after a new one.

It's a '91 SE turbo with a boost gauge built into the same clock, so ideally I'd want to replace like-for-like
StrongSpearWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 09:46   #2
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Being a 91 it will most likely be the capacitors on the back, it will need taking out and all the crusty debris from the leaking capacitors will need cleaning up, all solder joints reflowing and new capacitors soldering in.

Dave on here could probably do it for you if you ask him nicely
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 10:26   #3
StrongSpearWorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Being a 91 it will most likely be the capacitors on the back, it will need taking out and all the crusty debris from the leaking capacitors will need cleaning up, all solder joints reflowing and new capacitors soldering in.
I'm no stranger to a soldering iron... maybe I'll pop it out this weekend and have a closer look. I need to fiddle with a couple of bulb holders anyway (got a flickering bulb or two)
The Following User Says Thank You to StrongSpearWorks For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 10:58   #4
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongSpearWorks View Post
I'm no stranger to a soldering iron... maybe I'll pop it out this weekend and have a closer look. I need to fiddle with a couple of bulb holders anyway (got a flickering bulb or two)
The two contact points on the bulb holders might just need tweaking out a bit to make a better contact, one of mine doesn't work 99% of the time (it only illuminates half the clock and the fuel gauge so not desperately important) but very occasionally it will work... It's been nearly 4 years since I bought it so I do need to do it.
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 11:07   #5
StrongSpearWorks

Quote:
The two contact points on the bulb holders might just need tweaking out a bit to make a better contact, one of mine doesn't work 99% of the time (it only illuminates half the clock and the fuel gauge so not desperately important) but very occasionally it will work... It's been nearly 4 years since I bought it so I do need to do it.
Mine usually starts well, but then starts flickering then eventually goes out entirely - the one more or less behind the 30MPH mark. Plenty of daylight hours at the moment, but it's one of those things that will need doing eventually.
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 15:36   #6
Belal960
Belal Vol 1984-2019

Quote:

Dave on here could probably do it for you if you ask him nicely
Hi
how to contact Dave?

Thanks
Belal960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 18:46   #7
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I've asked Dave and he is too busy unfortunately
Old Jul 18th, 2022, 11:50   #8
BogfordGarage

Are you still looking for a turbo tachometer? I think I've got one in a cluster that I robber the speedo out of. I'm also pretty sure its a 91.
BogfordGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BogfordGarage For This Useful Post: