Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car mist and noisy windscreen wipers in 2001's

Views : 584

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2021, 15:45   #1
V40addict

Default Car mist and noisy windscreen wipers in 2001's

We have experienced an unusual amount of mist when it rains particularly , in 2001 V40 model. I have been told the car may need a new filter , will this do the trick or is there something else to take into account ?

The wipers also became unusually noisy but they do their job, wonder what the problem is, will silicone spray on the blades help ?
V40addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 15:53   #2
eternal optimist
Master Member

When did you last replace the cabin/pollen filter? When did you last replace the wiper blades?
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 21:51   #3
magnuz
Ancient

Any moisture inside the car ? wet carpets,etc. Also check in the back where the spare wheel is. Water can get in the rear around the washer nozzle, or the aerial !

If the rubber part of the wiper blade is making a noise against the glass, you can bend the metal frame slightly to realign it,which may help ?(unless you have the aero type)
Otherwise try new blades, some may choose to argue which type is best, but having bought a lot of the more expensive ones over the years, I have found that Wilko cheapies have performed best of all !
https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-20...lade/p/0230459

Last edited by magnuz; Feb 14th, 2021 at 21:54.
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 23:01   #4
Bashy
Aged Member

I bought a set of El Cheapo Aero aftermarket jobbies for my 56 plate V70 off of eBay, work great, clean well with no squeak, 1st signs of any squeak and they will be replaced, PS, been over a year now with these on, well worth the money, I have used Bosch before and known them not to last a year.......

PS, the link above is just to show the ones i bought, @ £11, you can buy 2 sets and still have change compared to 1 blade from a big brand

PPS, DONT use any lubricants as it will smear, you will regret it, if you already have, then, clean off with a cloth wet with a drop of washing up liquid, then rinse

Last edited by Bashy; Feb 14th, 2021 at 23:04.
Bashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 23:29   #5
V40addict

Thanks have no idea when the last cabin filter was changed, we got the car more than 2 years ago, it 's been back on the road for less than a year .
I plan to change it for a charcoal one but given the matter is critical and can' t wait (car driven by woman ) I need to fix it quick.

The wipers I think are original Volvo, they are big and look nice, plus they work fine I don' feel like replacing them but the noise is now horrendous. On another Volvo I got cheap ones and they worked well for only about 6 mont hs with little use.

Last edited by V40addict; Feb 14th, 2021 at 23:33.
V40addict is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V40addict For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2021, 07:30   #6
eternal optimist
Master Member

You have your answer.

The cabin filter is due for a change and you need new wiper blades.

You could try cleaning the blade edges with a bit of brake cleaner which might give some respite, but new blades will stop the noise.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote