Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Airbag Warning Light.

Views : 5812

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2018, 17:19   #11
Uncle Tom Cobley

No, I think you’re OK.

From what I read on this subject when I had the problem, should a fault occur and the warning light remains on then the airbag system is automatically deactivated.

If you are able to get the diagnostic codes read and it also shows SRS-0001 then maybe Gatos will be able to supply you with a fault free used replacement as he did me. It was very simple and quick to install.
Uncle Tom Cobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 17:23   #12
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulleidboy View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread, but the airbag warning light on my wife's 2004 V40 Sport has come on today. She bought the car new and it has just done 50K miles. She will probably take it to the independent who does all our servicing (I have a XC70). My main concern is that this is just an electrical fault and that the airbags will not be activated. Thanks in advance.
Normally, when the SRS light comes on, the SRS system is disabled. So I would not worry about the airbags exploding all of the sudden for no reason.

On the contrary, what I would be more concerned about is that in case of an accident (touch wood), the airbags will not be deployed

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2018, 14:08   #13
Bulleidboy

Replacement Module arrived this morning from Gatos - a very quick delivery. A bit pushed for time at the moment so our Independent will fit on Friday morning. Just in case it is of assistance to anyone, the car is a 2004 V40 1.8i Auto - the Part Number is 30613048 (2 Airbag). Many thanks for all the help.
Bulleidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bulleidboy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2018, 21:01   #14
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulleidboy View Post
Replacement Module arrived this morning from Gatos - a very quick delivery. A bit pushed for time at the moment so our Independent will fit on Friday morning. Just in case it is of assistance to anyone, the car is a 2004 V40 1.8i Auto - the Part Number is 30613048 (2 Airbag). Many thanks for all the help.
Why didn't you contact me directly through the forum. I would have done a much better price than ebay.....

Anyway, let us know how you are getting on and if you need any help, feel free to ask

Nullius in Verba
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2018, 20:51   #15
Bulleidboy

Just line to let you know that the module was fitted and everything is now fine.
The overall cost was less that half the price of a brand new module from Volvo.

As I mentioned in my original posting the car belongs to my wife and doesn't get used very often (it can be as much as six weeks sitting in the garage) - I first noticed the airbag warning light on after the car had a flat battery - the starter motor just clicked, but every light on the dashboard and the headlights were flashing like Blackpool illuminations. I put the car on charge for a day, and then noticed the warning light stayed on. Could this have caused the failure.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions - and should I ever need spare parts I will use the forum (gatos).
The Following User Says Thank You to Bulleidboy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2018, 21:01   #16
gatos
Premier Member

I've never heard of the SRS light coming on because of a flat battery. I had the same issue where the battery went flat on my spare car on two occasions and there was no issues with the SRSmodule. Maybe it was just bad luck and it just happened. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Anyway, if you ever have a problem with this module again, just let me know and I will send you another one free of charge.

Nullius in Verba
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2018, 21:54   #17
Bulleidboy

That's kind of you gatos. I think the car may be going later this year - my wife has been talking about changing it. It was one of the 2004 run-out V40's - Silver with black leather - we had the alloys refurbished a couple of years ago - and it looks like new when its had a wash - and at fourteen years old it has just done 52k miles. We shall see!
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 14:04   #18
AndersonV40

Afternoon.

I have found this very helpful thread after a repeat SRS issue with my 2004 V40. Last year I had the red "SRS" light on the dash illuminated and paid £60 for the car to be plugged into a computer to tell me the ECU was faulty. I got a second hand ECU which was fitted and the problem went away.

11 months later, here I am again with the SRS light on all the time while the car is running. I've checked the wiring connections under both front seats and they are OK. I have ordered another second hand ECU today and am wondering whether the replacement of the ECU fixes the problem or whether there needs to be some sort of 'system reset' done afterwards.

Thanks to Gatos I have a set of 'Haynes' style instructions to follow, one question from that is how do I get to the radio anti-theft code?

Thanks again to the contributors for an incredibly helpful set of advice.

Anderson
AndersonV40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 09:01   #19
Uncle Tom Cobley

Anderson,

When you write about the ECU I presume you mean the SRS module and not the central ECU.

Provided the replacement SRS unit is good and clear of any codes the SRS light should not come back on after you fit it. See this item by Gatos for more details:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/alex-...8024701621953/

Gatos usually has good SRS modules and other V40/S40 parts for sale on eBay under Seller ID gata958

You will need to go to a Volvo dealer with your VIN to get the radio code; some will charge you a fee. If you can contact our very good helpful friends and Volvo parts supplier FRF Volvo on 01792 310999 they will be pleased to help FOC.
Uncle Tom Cobley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Tom Cobley For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 12:22   #20
AndersonV40

Hi, thanks for responding, I do mean the SRS control unit not the central ECU.

Thanks also for the advice regarding the radio security code.
AndersonV40 is offline   Reply With Quote