Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What does this damaged capacitor do??

Views : 2802

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 6th, 2021, 20:12   #21
ChasesDragons

Laird,
Basically, the car does start from cold, it does crank a few times beforehand, though. The pump is heard to run too.

On starting it seems to be missing cylinders and stalls within about 3 or 4 minutes with a heavy smell of raw fuel(fresh). Sparks are black and coated in raw fuel, no indication of bore wear (oily plugs).

Restart doesn't work a lot of the time unless a break is given. So, I don't know if this simply gives time for the flooding to evaporate.

I need to check fuel pressure at the rail and pump. The pump is noisy at low fuel level. The rail seems to have the adjustment screwed all the way in. - i don't know if this had been like this before the issues started. This setting doesn't seem rational as most systems in a car tend to be set in the middle range than limits.

Hope this helps.....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
What exactly are the symptoms, does the engine being cold or hot make a difference, does it start doing whatever after it's been used a while or is it after a short drive, switch off and then restarted? Any other circumstances you can think of (relevant or not) would be helpful.

Just to clarify, it's the D-Jetronic injection and not twin carbs?
ChasesDragons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChasesDragons For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 20:25   #22
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

When you next try a cold start, try opening the throttle very slightly with your foot - about as much pressure as you'd need to bring a hot engine up to ~1500rpm. From your description, it sounds as if the the AAV (Auxiliary Air Valve) isn't opening to let additional air on for the cold running. It's a long time since i did anything with D-Jet but fairly certain they have one.

If opening the throttle a bit helps matters, it would be worth investigating the AAV if you have one, sometimes cleaning with Air Intake/Carb cleaner can bring about a recovery as they're usually stuck closed (hot position) and the bi-metallic strip that opens them has got a bit lazy and coupled with gummy residue tend to stick. If this is what you find, try squirting the inside of the AAV with carb cleaner when the engine is hot (valve closed) and a few more squirts as everything cools down.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 22:08   #23
ChasesDragons

I think my AAV was not working from the outset of ownership, in that it used to idleroughly, but smoothed out as it got warm. I will do the cleaning attempt regardless, thank you.
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 22:09   #24
ChasesDragons

Just for my continued research should this also degenerate into a fuelpump hange:

https://www.brickboard.com/RWD/index...422&show_all=2

This talks out i stalling 2 port pumps in place of the 71 3 port one which is NLA
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 22:26   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasesDragons View Post
Just for my continued research should this also degenerate into a fuelpump hange:

https://www.brickboard.com/RWD/index...422&show_all=2

This talks out i stalling 2 port pumps in place of the 71 3 port one which is NLA
To be honest, it sounds more like it's overfueling, hence my suggestion about opening the throttle a bit while starting from cold.

Also do you have PCV on that one? If so, when was it last serviced/cleaned out? That can make a surprising amount of difference to cold starting and general running too.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Feb 7th, 2021, 02:17   #26
142 Guy
Master Member

I would agree that black spark plugs and the smell of fuel are signs of over fueling and likely is not just an 'at start up' problem.

Checking the static fuel pressure is a good start; but, there are other things that can cause the engine to run with a low AFR. After setting the base fuel pressure to the correct value with the engine running, do a static fuel pressure test with the engine not running. If the fuel pressure drops like a rock then you have a leaking cold start injector, leaking main injectors or a leaky fuel pressure regulator. Prime the fuel system to re establish pressure and clamp off the fuel return line from the fuel pressure regulator. That will prevent loss of pressure through the regulator. If the pressure still drops like a rock you likely have a leaky cold start injector or main injectors and you need to pull them out of the manifold / holders to find which one is leaking.

Running with a low AFR can also be caused by failed / out of spec temperature sensors (both the air and coolant sensors) or wiring problems in the wiring to the sensors. The insulation on the wiring to the coolant sensor mounted in the front of the head is particularly prone to heat damage which results in the insulation crumbling and falling off.

If you are a vintage D jet owner, get the Volvo fuel injection fault tracing manual. It is your best friend when it comes to figuring out problems with your D jet system.

http://volvo1800pictures.com/documen...lt_tracing.pdf
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2021, 16:49   #27
ChasesDragons

I will put this here for future researchers;

I think this is the proper fuel system routing in the 1971 to 1973 P1800E which have the weird Fuel pump with the 3 ports.

The later ones have the simplified 2 port fuel pumps supported by 3 port Fuel Pressure regulators.
Attached Images
File Type: png unnamed.png (233.3 KB, 8 views)
Old Feb 7th, 2021, 18:13   #28
142 Guy
Master Member

From capacitors to fuel pumps. I guess this qualifies as a threadjack.

I am not an 1800 guru; but, I believe that the 'weird' 3 port pump with all three hoses connected to the pump head was used on the 1970 and 1971 1800E. In 1971 Bosch introduced a revised 3 port pump with the discharge line moved from the pump head to the end of the motor housing so that the electric motor was immersed in and cooled by gasoline flow. I expect that this change was done to extend the life of the electric motor. The revised 3 port design was used on the 1971 140 E; but, not on the 1800E.

In 1972 Bosch revised the 'revised' 3 port pump by eliminating the external overpressure relief line (3rd port) back to the tank and I believe that both the 1800 and 140 received this 2 port design with the discharge line fitted at the bottom end of the motor housing. I have the noted Nissan 280 Z fuel pump which is pretty much a drop in replacement for the later 2 port pump and is an easy fit for the revised 1971 3 port version on the 140 after blocking off the return line to the gas tank. It will probably work as a replacement for the early P1800E 3 port fuel pump; but, will require some plumbing modifications because of the location of the discharge port.

Last edited by 142 Guy; Feb 7th, 2021 at 18:16.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2021, 18:48   #29
ChasesDragons

Thank you for your description on doing to 3 port to 2 port conversion. All the capitals following are to highlight terns not to hout;

Do I understand the three ports on the pump form FUEL FROM TANK, FUEL TO INJECTORS, RETURN FROM INJECTORS?

When you say the 2 port conversion involves simply blocking the hose, do you mean the hose that is the RETURN FROM INJECTORS? Essentially changing the system into a "DEAD HEAD" system? Would this mean a different type of regulator used at beginning of the fuel rail and the rail is essentially into the dead end (head)?

Or am I misreading? is the return line from the injectors now being sent straight to the tank?

Two Qs arise if not; are the injectors going to get hot as the relatively stagnant fuel absorbs heat? Can it also increase vapour lock?

The more we talk, the larger this can of enquisitive worms seems to be! 👀🤣
Old Feb 7th, 2021, 19:50   #30
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasesDragons View Post
Thank you for your description on doing to 3 port to 2 port conversion. All the capitals following are to highlight terns not to hout;

Do I understand the three ports on the pump form FUEL FROM TANK, FUEL TO INJECTORS, RETURN FROM INJECTORS?

When you say the 2 port conversion involves simply blocking the hose, do you mean the hose that is the RETURN FROM INJECTORS? Essentially changing the system into a "DEAD HEAD" system? Would this mean a different type of regulator used at beginning of the fuel rail and the rail is essentially into the dead end (head)?

Or am I misreading? is the return line from the injectors now being sent straight to the tank?

Two Qs arise if not; are the injectors going to get hot as the relatively stagnant fuel absorbs heat? Can it also increase vapour lock?

The more we talk, the larger this can of enquisitive worms seems to be! 👀🤣
That's how i understood what he put as well so if it's not, we're both wrong!

Usually because of the position of the injectors and fuel rail, they get hot and vapour locks can occur - the fact the system is pressurised helps to avoid this but obviously as the fuel heats up, it builds pressure so the FPR releases that back to the tank. In turn this drops the pressure in the fuel rail allowing the fuel to boil easier and so it goes on.

I had a problem last year with my 760, where heat was making fuel vapourise in the return line so i bought some heat reflective sleeving :

As an experiment (becuase i was still getting vapourising problems) i added some simple cooking foil, shint side out round the fuel rails and feed line :

Crude, effective and oven-ready! The proper stuff is this, came from China but fairly quickly :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12mm-75mm...w/164120831962

Choose your size and length, wrap it round and secure with the Velcro. Thinking about it, the return line i actually used this, almost the same but you have to disconnect then slide the sleeve over and reconnect the fuel line :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminise...m/193523949045

If you're getting heat-soak/fuel vapourisation problems in this weather then you need to find out why.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: