Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B230 onto an M41 Gearbox

Views : 4317

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 27th, 2013, 20:11   #31
Colonel Froth

What kind of manifold are you thinking about making? Anything like the sheet intakes offered on turbobricks?
Colonel Froth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 20:55   #32
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS View Post
I had a good look at it last night Mitch.

I think that it will with very minor mods if any.

The only issue is the release bearing lever. It will need some mods to work with a cable set up. There is also no speedo drive.
Excellent, M90s are easy to get hold of and we already have a couple.

Didn't think about the speedo cable.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 21:29   #33
DJS

Hi,

Yes, very similar but with longer intake runners (for low down torque) and straight, as the engine in my Amazon is upright. No need to curl them over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Froth View Post
What kind of manifold are you thinking about making? Anything like the sheet intakes offered on turbobricks?
DJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 22:29   #34
Rick269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khe Sanh View Post
Didn't think about the speedo cable.
Have you though about a GPS Speedo?

This is more than likely the one I'll be getting:

http://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GRM4.5...-and-high-beam)

Quote:
Our new Revolution GPS Speedometer (with turn signals and high beam) does not require a transmission sensor to operate making installation very easy in vehicles which lack electronic sensor output or for individuals wanting the simplest speedometer hook up.
Features included

Odometer and Resettable trip
5 Htz update for fast needle response and accuracy
Display 0-60 Time and distance in feet.
Display 1/4 mile time and speed.
Show elevation
Peak Recall max speed during run
Current direction heading
Accurate GPS Clock
Current Speed in LCD
Built in Turn signals and High Beam LEDs in dial. Left and Right turn signals and high beam integrated into speedo. Speedometer has 3 wire leads exiting back of speedometer that when attached to 12volts from turn signal relay or headlight relay will turn on corresponding LED.
Hot start satellite acquisition allows GPS speedo to function within 2-3 seconds of power up
Easy hook up- requires only power, ground and lighting and GPS accurately displays speed. included 15' long antenna cord to route antenna to convenient location in corner of dash.
Speedhut Life-time warranty on all GPS speedos.
Rick269 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick269 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 22:32   #35
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick269 View Post
Have you though about a GPS Speedo?

This is more than likely the one I'll be getting:

http://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GRM4.5...-and-high-beam)
Thanks Rick, yep heard of that type of speedo and sounds like one solution.
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 23:15   #36
john h
VOC Member

Steve and I are also thinking about speedo drive issues, because we have R-sport instruments (cable speedo) with M90 box.

Steve has found a company which does a conversion. Basically an electric motor which drives a cable at the appropriate speed, based on the electric signal from the later type 240 axle.

I'll post links and more detail when we have looked into it more. Obviously, only useful if you have, or can fit, and electric speedo drive.

Another alternative, if you can find one, would be a M410 164 gearbox. Very strong, O/D, same bolt pattern I think (but upright for B30, not slanted). I also love the M410 gearchange, although others find it too 'mechanical'... you can feel big gears moving through the lever!

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 00:01   #37
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgHV3v7ZYDM
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 21:47   #38
random_noise
VOC Member

That's a cool product. How does it cope when driving through tunnels / valleys though? Is it legal to rely on something like this only?

Dave
random_noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 22:41   #39
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Good point, not sure.

I emailed them to see if they have a product that converts the GPS speed to a mechanical drive, will see what they say.
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 16:09   #40
salty

Question

Regarding the m41 to B230 w/ manual transmission, I'm working on the same project. I have a 73 m41, and a '91 b230 w/ the flexplate and crank sensor wheel. I also have the clutch and pressure plate from the 73 which I just pulled out of my car.

My goal is to get this running in my 73 145 on the smallest budget...and learn a few new skills along the way (at least MIG, fluxcore basic welding and megasquirt).

I'm trying to find out the part numbers of flywheels I can bolt up to the b230, which will mate with the 73 m41 clutch I already have.

Megasquirt will need a crank sensor signal. the options I've heard about so far include using the crank sensor attached to the flywheel, or using an adaptor from Yoshifab w/ his CAS wheel and switching to a coil on plug distributorless system. I'd love to do the latter, but my budget says start with the cheaper option and upgrade as I am able. I'm expecting megasquirt can operate w/ the standard b230 distributor.

I'd like to a flat flywheel that works with my existing clutch, and also works with the crank sensor ring. Is that available, or would it be reasonably easy to rivet or spot weld the sensor ring onto an earlier flat flywheel? If it's a decent option, which years flywheels can I search for? Could I use a Penta? They are available on ebay often...
salty is offline   Reply With Quote