Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Auto - Jerky/kangaroo behaviour at low speeds

Views : 4507

Replies : 71

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 16:40   #61
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simeon90 View Post
Woah, how have we got to new pistons and rings ?? This is a MY16 car too, so not an early one.

I'll speak to Volvo about it, but also looking into getting it deleted.
That's the only real fix for the problem on earlier VEA engines. Later engines (2017 onwards according to my Volvo mechanic), they changed the design for this very reason.

I know a lady who has a 2 litre XC60 D4 on a 64 plate (VEA engine). She's had nothing but trouble since she bought it, most of which were EGR and EGR cooler related. She won't buy a Volvo again.

All cars have problems, but it seems Volvo really messed up with these early engines and the owner's are paying hefty repair bills to sort them, especially now that these cars are out of warranty. This forum has provided a wealth of information... I will never buy an early 4 cylinder diesel VEA Volvo. I know plenty have and may have been lucky, but I think EGR issues are just a matter of "when" on an early VEA, not "if".

Last edited by Kev0607; Apr 2nd, 2024 at 16:52.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 17:15   #62
Baffler
Premier Member

I think you'll find Volvo will remain tight lipped on the subject. As Kevin says the underlying issue to the carbon build-up is the design of the oil control rings. Volvo have attempted to work around this issue by fitting a revised EGR cooler with larger cooling vanes to allow the deposits to pass through more easily as opposed to fitting a new short block to each vehicle affected.

Some bedtime reading here: Root cause of high oil consumption in VEA diesel engines?

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 23:35   #63
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Woah, how have we got to new pistons and rings ?? This is a MY16 car too, so not an early one.

I'll speak to Volvo about it, but also looking into getting it deleted.
In addition, Simeon90, and not wishing to further deflate the situation but, you are faced with either maintaining the current issue/s, as many of us VEA owner's are, or chop it in against a 5 cylinder variant, as so many enlightened have done so, and prep yourself for a different set of maintenance intervals albeit not piston ring related.

What's that saying..."there are no free lunches in this life"...?

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2024, 17:43   #64
Simeon90

Just had a very interesting conversation with Riverside Volvo in Leeds, they were kind enough to not accept my booking for a diagnostic as they had the information required on their system.. the car was part exchanged in their Hull branch, diagnosed with an EGR fault and deemed not worth repairing so put to auction ! The dealer I bought it from didn't buy it from the auction, he got it from another dealer, but anyway Volvo already had the repair quote on the system, approx £1250 without the cooler. Local independent are £1450 with the cooler, but they won't do anything without doing their own diagnostics at an extra £135..

Needless to say, likelihood of Volvo contribution is precisely zero

Last edited by Simeon90; Apr 4th, 2024 at 18:59.
Simeon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2024, 19:23   #65
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Just had a very interesting conversation with Riverside Volvo in Leeds, they were kind enough to not accept my booking for a diagnostic as they had the information required on their system.. the car was part exchanged in their Hull branch, diagnosed with an EGR fault and deemed not worth repairing so put to auction ! The dealer I bought it from didn't buy it from the auction, he got it from another dealer, but anyway Volvo already had the repair quote on the system, approx £1250 without the cooler. Local independent are £1450 with the cooler, but they won't do anything without doing their own diagnostics at an extra £135..

Needless to say, likelihood of Volvo contribution is precisely zero
What are your plans? Fix it at your own cost or trade it in?
Old Apr 4th, 2024, 22:45   #66
Simeon90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
What are your plans? Fix it at your own cost or trade it in?

It's going into the local independent on 16th to be diagnosed with requiring an EGR valve then it's getting fixed and I'll be discussing it with the supplying dealer, who is being very good to be fair.
Old Apr 4th, 2024, 23:09   #67
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
It's going into the local independent on 16th to be diagnosed with requiring an EGR valve then it's getting fixed and I'll be discussing it with the supplying dealer, who is being very good to be fair.
I hope the issue is fixed for you. Best wishes and keep us updated.
Old Apr 5th, 2024, 12:18   #68
Stu B
Master Member

Quote:
Good detective work and all the best with it, please do update with how you get on. Hope it gets sorted and you get a reliable Volvo
Old Apr 5th, 2024, 14:16   #69
Simeon90

Thanks guys, appreciate yours and everyone's input along the way.

I'll update on the 16th

Oh, the Volvo dealer was able to tell me that the EMAP pipe and sensor were replaced in November last year, so they were obviously hoping for a cheaper fix than the EGR due to similar symptoms. Pleased that it has been replaced already, once EGR is done it should be very reliable !
The Following User Says Thank You to Simeon90 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2024, 12:09   #70
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
I'll be discussing it with the supplying dealer, who is being very good to be fair.
He's just doing what he is legally obliged to do if the fault existed at the point of sale.
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote