Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stripped thread

Views : 542

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 30th, 2018, 15:59   #1
Steff79

Default Stripped thread

As is always the way with me I have turned the simplest job into a headache!

I bought a space saver spare off gumtree, and when I went to put it in I have somehow stripped the thread.

I'm guessing/hoping that the rod that screws in is available so that should be ok.

But I'll have to look at a helecoil/thread repair kit for the thread it goes into.

As a mechanical novice i've never done this before.

anyone know size thread repair I need to be buying? or whether the rods are in fact available.

many thanks
steffan
Steff79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 16:22   #2
Steff79

I've answered part of my own question but picking up the phone, so got a new securing rod ordered from the local dealer.

Just need to repair the thread now.
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 17:23   #3
Dancake
Premier Member

Most tend to be either M6 or M8 metric coarse, but you need to find out what thread the securing rod has and work from there. If you need to drill into the body to fit a nutsert or helicoil, make sure to apply something to prevent rust from forming.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 17:50   #4
tommyweaves
Premier Member

I'd try rescuing the existing thread on the car first:

Find a nut that fits your new rod. Then find a bolt that fits the nut, thus ensuring the bolt is the same thread as your rod.

Lubricate the bolt and wind it in to the car "nut", half turn in, then quarter turn out. If the bolt holds then you're good to go. But be careful when putting the new rod in, making sure it's threading cleanly.
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 20:35   #5
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyweaves View Post
I'd try rescuing the existing thread on the car first:

Find a nut that fits your new rod. Then find a bolt that fits the nut, thus ensuring the bolt is the same thread as your rod.

Lubricate the bolt and wind it in to the car "nut", half turn in, then quarter turn out. If the bolt holds then you're good to go. But be careful when putting the new rod in, making sure it's threading cleanly.
Added to that, try cutting a slot at an angle down the bolt to give the swarf somewhere to go as you clear the tread.
M6 or M8 taps are cheap enough, get a second taper if you don't want to buy a set, no need for a tap wrench as you can get by with an adjustable spanner.
The other alternative is go next size up and make your own fixing rod out of a length of stud bar.

I havery tapped bigger, araldite a bolt into the hole and cut flush, drill and tap to original size where bigger fixing rod would cause problems. Thread inserts are OK but I've not a lot of faith in their longevity having seen them screw out instead along with the rod/ bolt.
There is nothing in the world like a problem needing fixing to justify buying tools, and once baught always to hand when needed.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 20:55   #6
Steff79

That is all. Good shout on rescuing it. I'll definitely try that first followed by the tap option.
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 06:13   #7
Steff79

Should say thanks all!
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 06:30   #8
V70Zig
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Thread inserts are OK but I've not a lot of faith in their longevity having seen them screw out instead along with the rod/ bolt.

Paul.
Always add some thread lock to the helicoils when fitting them, and allow to set before use, they won't come out.........

Passed away - 1999 V70 2.5tdi Auto 340632 miles, RIP.
V70Zig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V70Zig For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 1st, 2018, 06:45   #9
Steff79

I didn't have any success with a regular bolt but bought a tap and die set which worked a treat.

Nice and easy outcome

My 1yr old even stayed a sleep in the car while I did it which always makes things easier......
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steff79 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 1st, 2018, 08:39   #10
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffan Eldred View Post
I didn't have any success with a regular bolt but bought a tap and die set which worked a treat.

Nice and easy outcome

My 1yr old even stayed a sleep in the car while I did it which always makes things easier......
See, and now you've got it for next time so good result all round. In a couple of years the one year old will be able to do it for you.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote