Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

EGR / Turbo Issues

Views : 774

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 12:58   #1
v40hd

Default EGR / Turbo Issues

Hey All,

I was hoping someone might be able to help me in here after being a bit weary about a diagnosis from a garage.

I have a 03 V40D sport, its done about 117k but runs great.

I recently noticed that its dropping a bit of oil not a massive amount at first but has also developed a screaming type noise. If you put the clutch in / take it out of gear and rev it doesnt make that noise. The garage told me i had a split in the metal feed pipe but second opinion from a mechanic and we failed to find the split. The garage refused to change just the pipe as they said the turbo had gone as well and they would need to replace both.

Given that the car doesnt smoke nor use a lot of oil and the turbo doesnt wine i was sceptical so walked away (they also said that the turbo was leaking oil but the only oil i could see was from the feed side)

Anyway a close look by a mate whose a mechanic and it looks like the oil is coming from the egr valve area. Originally it looked like its coming from the valve but after reading through the forum i noticed that a common fault is to leak from the pipe next to it.

My question (apologies for the waffling) is should the be oil coming up the pipe that feeds the egr valve? I need to take a closer look to pinpoint where the oil is coming from but if this is the case is the turbo gone? Or is it normal to get some oil out of the valve? It seems to be coming from near where the plunger is which im guessing means that its travelling up the pipe that attaches to the bottom of the plunger.

Any pointers on how to check if its working as it should be. Im reluctant to spend on a turbo if it isnt the turbo, even more so as the diagnosis thus far hasnt been concrete.

Can anyone help?
v40hd is offline   Reply With Quote