Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80 T6 dead, ticking sound after key removed from ignition

Views : 3104

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 24th, 2012, 01:53   #1
lillia
VOC Member

Unhappy S80 T6 dead, ticking sound after key removed from ignition

Hello everyone, I'm hoping someone recognises this problem and can assist me in sorting it out before garages open tomorrow (Monday). Just realising that some garages may not be open tomorrow as it's Christmas Eve! Just my luck...

Car (S80 T6) failed to start late this evening and is dead outside. Up until yesterday afternoon (Saturday), it had performed as normal, with no indication that anything was amiss (apart from the "Alarm System Service Required" that had been popping up from time to time for the past 6-7 weeks or so). The battery was replaced with a heavy duty one in May last year and the car does an average of 180 miles a week.

Except for the light in the glove box, the lights (both external and internal) do not come on at all. The dashboard indicators light up briefly before extinguishing. Key fob does not open or lock the car. Only the driver's door can be opened from the outside when the doors are unlocked. The key only unlocks the driver's door instead of all of them as before. The boot can only be opened with the key via the lock above the licence plate. When the key is moved back to the 0 position and removed from the car, there is a persistent, low, rapidly ticking sound from both the right and left hand sides of the car, in the vicinity of the driver and passenger doors while I am sitting in the car. This goes on for around 3-4 seconds before stopping. The sound is not audible from the outside. Is it possible that the alarm siren has drained the battery, or is it more likely that there is a starter motor or fuse problem?

The first time I heard the ticking sound it was similar to the sound the car makes when the battery is flat, but the battery ticking just stops after barely a second while the other ticking continues. It is difficult to say whether the second ticking starts before or after the key has been removed.

It's beyond late now, so I plan to first check the fuses in the morning, then try to arrange for a jump start. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old Dec 24th, 2012, 08:57   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

first impression is a flat battery for what ever reason ??
Old Dec 24th, 2012, 09:03   #3
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

I had this, the battery terminals were loose.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Wildsmith For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2012, 09:10   #4
Joe Harding
Premier Member

On our D5 V70, same symptoms: I found earthing strap from engine block to chassis hanging loose.

Low current can get back via mountings etc. but the large inush current required to spin the starter motor can't return. So you get lights, full electrical function but no turnover.

I unpicked the braid from the bolt on tag, opened the flanges of the tag in a vice and then used a mole grip to recrimp it onto the earthing strap.

Result!
Old Dec 24th, 2012, 23:02   #5
lillia
VOC Member

Update -

Thank you for the suggestions. It took three attempts to jump start the car. Apparently the battery was so flat (we were unable to even shift into Neutral to manoeuvre the car into a better position) that the only way to get any effect was to connect the cables directly to the battery in the boot rather than to the fuse box connection under the bonnet. That was nearly 5 hours ago. Drove nearly 20 miles, no problem: if anything, the car was more responsive(!). Have locked the car using the key, not the fob - I am convinced that the cause of this sudden and massive overnight battery drain is something to do with the alarm. The car started promptly with no issues 10 minutes ago, 4 hours since I switched it off. Will see what happens in the morning.

I'll spend Christmas morning looking at fuses first, and take the car to the garage when they re-open after the holidays if I have not identified the cause of the drain.

Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 25th, 2012, 16:57   #6
chiptivo
Premier Member

Yes, common fault of a faulty alarm siren unit can drain the main car battery is some situations.

Easy fix this one, remove the alarm unit fuse = problem solved. It is in the side panel of the drivers side dash. Forget the number (Maybe 27) but there is a sticker on the back of the panel cover.

You will still get the alarm message on the dash for 5 seconds everytime you start the car, but you will no longer have the flat battery.
chiptivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2012, 18:10   #7
Brendan W
Premier Member

My money would be on the alarm draining the battery as well. F38 bottom right of the fuse box if memory serves.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 21:26   #8
Jim314
Premier Member

Four years ago the alarm failed on my V70 and drained the battery once when I didn't drive it for 4 days or so. I removed the alarm fuse in the panel at the end of the dash, and have not had a repeat even though I have sometimes not started it for almost a week. Still has the original battery (I think 9 years in service), but it does seem to be getting weaker.

I do get the alarm error message at every startup, but the red LED on the dash still flashes. I too think it is F38 at the bottom of the panel.

Last edited by Jim314; Dec 26th, 2012 at 21:32.
Jim314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 23:04   #9
lillia
VOC Member

Jim, now that you have removed the fuse, are you able to lock the car with the key fob without further complications/battery drainage, or do you just use the key now? Does disabling F38 (the alarm siren) mean that the alarm itself is no longer functional?

I located the fuse yesterday and scraped the skin off my forefinger trying to pull the darn thing out, even with the special tool that Volvo thoughtfully included in the panel. It's in such an awkward position right there in the corner. Will have to hunt down a pair of long nose pliers in the morning.
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 00:49   #10
Brendan W
Premier Member

Alarm will function as normal except the siren will not sound when the alarm is triggered and you will get an Alarm System Service Required message for a few seconds at each start up.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm, battery, ignition, s80, ticking