Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1.7 480 ES Idle

Views : 1298

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 16th, 2003, 18:16   #1
hmj

I have an idle problem with my 480 ES and was wondering if anyone knew what it might be. When I have been driving and slow down to a roundabout or traffic light or something the revs drop, but instead of levelling at 900 they drop to practically nothing, and then oscillate until they settle at 900. This is especially a problem because occasionally they get so low the engine cuts (and the power steering locks!).

If anyone has had the same problem and knows what it is I'd love to hear from you, as I really need to fix it.

Thanks,

Henry
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 09:09   #2
Baffler
Premier Member

Default RE: 1.7 480 ES Idle

Hello Henry,

I had a similar idle problem when I had my ES. I removed my trottle body and cleaned the butterfly valve with some carb cleaner and an old tooth brush. It was encrusted with carbon deposit's, therefore it would not allow the valve to close fully, hence, the erratic idle...

Hope this helps, good luck...

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 09:53   #3
Cougar 27

Agree with above statement, did the same thing. I also put 97Ron Super in and gave it a good run ! .... seemed to do the trick ....
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 06:48   #4
JimAitken

I had to do exactly the same thing every Summer to my 440. I watched my garage do it the first time while I was waiting for a lift. They used brake cleaning fluid under pressure.

Jim
JimAitken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 18:24   #5
JimAitken

Sods Law... after posting my previous message a few days ago, I got exactly the same problem this morning on my 480. Before I started cleaning the throttle, I wiggled the AirMass controller plug while the engine was mis-behaving and guess what... it fixed it. I then switched off, and cleaned the electrical connections properly and it's now running beautifully again.

JimAitken is offline   Reply With Quote