Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T8 public charging

Views : 4239

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2016, 10:03   #1
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Default T8 public charging

So my T8 arrives 1.3.16 and I am starting to think about charging when out and about. I have had a look and done some research and there seems to be one heck of a jumble of charging networks and prices. I am to be honest a touch confused.

My basic requirements are to be able to take advantage of a bit of public charging when i park up when i am out and about. If I have to pay then I wont bother and I will just use petrol to get about.

Can anyone give me an idiots guide to how to proceed? As a simple starter is the ecotricity system at lots of motorway services free and how do I register?

Thanks in advance.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2016, 21:22   #2
yeoman
Master Member

I do have a little bit of information for you.Incidentally I got a call today from a company called Pod Point, who are apparently Volvo's official home charger supplier and fitter.
With Eco-tricity, you apply for a free card on the internet which you then load with credit.I am told less than 10 pounds credit would go long way, though I am not sure how long.You swipe this card at the motorway charge points and away you go!

These websites are quite a useful resource.

http://www.thechargingpoint.com/know...ng-points.html

http://chargeyourcar.org.uk/charge-your-car-app/
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yeoman For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2016, 22:20   #3
Considered1
Premier Member

I know there are a number of different systems but a guy in our Village (Leaf owner so cant be without some charge) confirms what I found when I test drove an Ampera for a weekend that these cards are well worth it, at most cost a tenner and largely the electric is then free from most charging stations, rapid charge in motorway services takes only half an hour.
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Considered1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 01:06   #4
Paulj1

Default Pod point

Just a note I've got a T8 due mid March and have just ordered a pod point to be fitted at home for charging. I originally ordered the 7kw charger, but pod point told me the max draw on the T8 is s 16 amp, so the 7kw won't charge any faster than the 3kw, which is £95 cheaper.......

So the rapid chargers won't be rapid either as its restricted on amps...... I think I'm right there.....
Paulj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulj1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 08:18   #5
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulj1 View Post
Just a note I've got a T8 due mid March and have just ordered a pod point to be fitted at home for charging. I originally ordered the 7kw charger, but pod point told me the max draw on the T8 is s 16 amp, so the 7kw won't charge any faster than the 3kw, which is £95 cheaper.......

So the rapid chargers won't be rapid either as its restricted on amps...... I think I'm right there.....
I am having a POD point fitted at work (3.7kw with tethered cable). I was told exactly the same, which is that a 3.7kw POD point will charge at the same rate as a 7kw, or 11kw or 22kw chargers, because that is the most the XC90 will take. He did also tell me that at 3.7kw it will charge the XC90 to full in 2.5 hours (which passes the logic test, it is a 9.2kwh battery so the maths works out)

If a 3.7kw fast charger will charge in 2.5 hours and you can draw 3kw from a 13a socket it does make me wonder why it takes 8 hours when you just plug in to a normal socket at home? The conclusion I have come to is that to charge fast you need the electronics of a fast charger and these live in the charger and not in the car. Hence why you need to part with the best part of a grand to POD point or whoever...

Last edited by Philip Fisher; Jan 22nd, 2016 at 08:21.
Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 09:41   #6
yeoman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
I am having a POD point fitted at work (3.7kw with tethered cable). I was told exactly the same, which is that a 3.7kw POD point will charge at the same rate as a 7kw, or 11kw or 22kw chargers, because that is the most the XC90 will take. He did also tell me that at 3.7kw it will charge the XC90 to full in 2.5 hours (which passes the logic test, it is a 9.2kwh battery so the maths works out)

If a 3.7kw fast charger will charge in 2.5 hours and you can draw 3kw from a 13a socket it does make me wonder why it takes 8 hours when you just plug in to a normal socket at home? The conclusion I have come to is that to charge fast you need the electronics of a fast charger and these live in the charger and not in the car. Hence why you need to part with the best part of a grand to POD point or whoever...
I reckon using the available 3 pin plug socket and sensible driving is the way forward.

Last edited by yeoman; Jan 22nd, 2016 at 10:01.
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 15:46   #7
Craigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post

The car finds out what type of charger it's attached to by the resistance in the cable (deliberate) and asking the charge point. You don't actually "need" the electronics in the charge point as the AC to DC conversion is done in the car (with an AC charge point), seem to remember that the faster chargers simply switch on the supply when asked by the car and tell the car what charge rate is possible.

The big chargers in service stations and some car parks are DC chargers and these are the ones that can recharge most cars in half an hour. Again I can't be bothered to look it up but these are often about 45KW and do the AC to DC conversion instead of the car and the car simply controls the charger to charge the batteries.

DC Chargers only work on cars which have the larger DC sockets on them and have the cables attached to the charger (really big cables for obvious reasons), normally chademo (Japanese) or CCS (Frankenplug - European).

I assume that the T8 only has an AC connection, most DC chargers have an AC option on the side too, it just won't charge at the full 45KW (I think the max for AC is 22KW, though it's all down to the car).

I don't know anything about the Tesla Supercharger, I assume that Tesla use a different plug again.

Last edited by Craigy; Jan 22nd, 2016 at 16:00.
Craigy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Craigy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2016, 16:28   #8
Paulj1

who do you need to register with to be able to use public charge points ?
Paulj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2016, 17:20   #9
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulj1 View Post
who do you need to register with to be able to use public charge points ?
It would appear that there are many networks and each has its own terms and conditions costs and swipe cards. I have registered with ecotricity and got the card in the post. This is free and they have charge points in ikea and motorway service stations...
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2016, 22:04   #10
Mezza

I have ordered a T8 so would be interested in lead time for yours.

I also drive a BMWi3 so would recommend you subscribe to a range of providers so you are never caught out. Ecotricity, Polar, pod point and source London (or other 'source' areas) as a minimum. All have their own web sites to see availability and active points. Source London is currently free to charge as is ecotricity.

Zap map also worth a look and mobile app https://www.zap-map.com/live/

See available national and local networks here https://www.zap-map.com/charge-point...oint-networks/

Last edited by Mezza; Feb 16th, 2016 at 22:12.
Mezza is offline   Reply With Quote