Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heated front windscreen - what should I expect to see?

Views : 11415

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 25th, 2016, 12:32   #11
Lexman8
Premier Member

You'd expect (or hope) that the car's built-in diagnostics would detect the problem and log it for the dealer to see.

When the heated door mirror on my Merc stopped working the car logged the problem as an open circuit in the heating power feed, i.e. a broken wire, which indeed it was.
Lexman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 13:21   #12
4candles
I've Been Banned

Your screen is not working...(no poo Sherlock, lol)

My FFRR heated screen used to fry eggs on it in under 2 minutes, 1 minute after the frost/ice had vapourised/slid to the scuttle panel...

With all the voodooo blue fire systems on these Volvos it will/should be a simple fix, or correcting an omission like the screen not actually being connected at the bus bars.

You shouldn't have to pray for frosty weather for the dealer to diagnose the issue,
merely tell them it's not working and politely ask they fix it, tell them your on 'Stork duty' for yourself or your kin and that this needs to be working as a matter of urgency, that may jump you up the priority queue.
4candles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 13:28   #13
TheDufster

Could it be the fuse(s)?

http://esd.volvocars.com/local/us/Vo...-Manual-v3.pdf

See page 510 onwards.

XC40 1.5 T3 R-Design
TheDufster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 13:50   #14
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Things are never easy are they.....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5

Last edited by Philip Fisher; Feb 25th, 2016 at 13:53.
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 15:08   #15
Walter Eagle

Because of my previous posts and threads elsewhere about the intricacy of integrated electronic, electrical and software systems, I've now started half-assuming that fixing the heated windscreen will cure all my MP3 woes as well. There's bound to be a link, hasn't there, somewhere, surely ... ?
Walter Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 22:22   #16
Walter Eagle

You are not going to believe the next part of this story ...

Left work as early as I could and nipped along to my local Volvo dealer.
"Any chance you could have a look at this? I know it's late, but ... "
"Yeah sure, hold on and I'll have a word with one of the lads."
So one of the lads had a look and came up with the decision, "Yep, no question. It's not working. We'll have to get you booked in to find out why. There's so many things that could affect it you see. It's all the computers and things ... "
(Oh, I thought, don't start on about the computers!)

Anyway, we fixed a date to get it analysed. Not fixed you understand, just diagnosed - "we might need to get you back in depending on what we find". And I headed off for home.

And on the way home, at one point I was stationary in queuing traffic, in a right-hand lane, waiting to turn right in a compulsory right turn. When all of a sudden, "BANG!", and a Lithuanian HGV ripped off my passenger-side wing mirror as he tried to squeeze past in the left lane.

Well, he did stop. And he looked suitably apologetic, with lots of shrugs and holding his hands open, and pushing out his lower lip, and raising his eyebrows. (I think that's the description I'm looking for - try it and see how you feel. You'll probably have half the office looking at you thinking, "What's up with him?"). Anyway his English and my Lithuanian seemed to be about equal proficiency, so we stumbled through an international episode of "Give Us A Clue" (anyone remember that?), miming phrases like "what were you playing at?", "insurance policy" and "have you any duct tape I can borrow?".
We were the best of friends after about 30 minutes of this. I think he might even have said at one point that his daughter is coming to visit us at Easter.
But I admit I could have got that one wrong.

Hey ho, there's never a dull moment owning an XC90, is there?

Walter
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 10:12   #17
TheDufster

Oh dear! At least it was a minor bump and nobody was injured!

Maybe they'll fix the windscreen at the same time as the mirror........

XC40 1.5 T3 R-Design
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 10:22   #18
Walter Eagle

What? Fix both at once? Are you mad? These kind of things just don't happen.

One of them's a warranty issue being done at Volvo's cost, but the other's an insurance issue and needs to be approved separately. Which means different order numbers, different invoices, probably different sessions in the workshop ...

Oh sure, in an ideal world, I'd get both done at once. But I'm not counting any chickens.
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 15:38   #19
Walter Eagle

Just tying off the windscreen issue ...

Got it fixed at local dealer.
"Yeah, it just wasn't connected at all. Must have left the factory like that."
I thought that was an amazingly casual attitude by a dealer.
I wasn't sure whether to tell them another dealer had already swapped out the driver display and whether that might have resulted in a few trailing wires not being re-connected.

Anyway, the point is, I've had a couple of frosty mornings since then (nothing major - no worse than 1˚C) and it's worked beautifully. Never had one before (a heated windscreen, not a frosty morning) and I'm very pleased.

Walter
The Following User Says Thank You to Walter Eagle For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 15th, 2016, 07:39   #20
TheDufster

Glad to hear you got it sorted Walter!

XC40 1.5 T3 R-Design