Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Mph and Km/h display

Views : 1059

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2016, 21:03   #1
Flashie08

Default Mph and Km/h display

Hi all,

I had an overnight test drive of the XC90 (D5 Momentum). Though there was little need to have it that long as it quickly became apparent this was the car for us. Some quick observations:
- The adaptive lighting is great with auto dipping high beam
- The rear is cavernous!
- Having come from a 3 litre Jaguar XF, I was pleasantly surprised with the acceleration and power of the D5. In fact, it feels more responsive and engaging
- The touchpad system is great and a deal-clincher
- The dealer was crazy to spec it with 20" alloys but not with any camera as its not fun to park!
- The sat nav on the drivers display is useful
- The plastic instrument panel is a bit of a letdown
- The engine is quiet enough but there is significant road noise from the tyres
- mpg disappointing
- The missus feels its rocks a bit like a ship though this doesn't stop her liking it too

However the big issue is the speedo. The dial shows km/h but the number in the middle is mph. I know you can swap these around but there is no option to have them both as mph. The salesman says this is because the law says it must show both mph and km/h at all times. The missus finds it very confusing and, whilst it isn't a deal breaker, it is very annoying.
Does anyone know if this is addressable? If not, I guess we may have to eschew the heated windscreen (much to the annoyance of the missus) and have the heads-up display so that she can look at that instead of the confusing speedo.

Thanks for any help with this! I think we'll be ordering soon, though I haven't seen any new March deals (or the update pricing for MY17!).
Flashie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2016, 22:31   #2
Skep

Picked up my R design in 1st March, am loving the 90 coming from a Land Rover D4. The display on mine is all in miles so don't see why yours couldn't be, it is very responsive and even better and smoother than my disco. Road noise does seem to be an issue on 20" wheels but especially for me wouldn't be a deal breaker, they are big wheels and you get used to it. It's just different. Hope that helps
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 06:57   #3
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Mine is also all in miles. Not sure what your dealer is on about.

The head up display is fantastic. I hate the lines in a heated screen so not having that is no loss. Just spec the onboard heater and you can switch the car heater on from your phone over breakfast and you go out to a fully warm defrosted car. No need for a heated screen.

Oh and just accept it wont look as cool and spec 19 wheels. Mine is almost silent on the motorway.

Finally if the budget can handle it the 360 degree camera is just fantastic for parking.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 08:02   #4
jayheartdoc

If you access the trip menu on the dashboard by using the button on the right of the steering wheel and deselect tourist mode, km/h will be replaced by mph on the dash.
jayheartdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayheartdoc For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 08:13   #5
volvo for ever
Premier Member

i would have thought coming from any JLR product,,,,any manufacturer would be a bonus esp volvo they are awesome in my opinion ,,,,
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 08:56   #6
Flashie08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skep View Post
Picked up my R design in 1st March, am loving the 90 coming from a Land Rover D4. The display on mine is all in miles so don't see why yours couldn't be, it is very responsive and even better and smoother than my disco. Road noise does seem to be an issue on 20" wheels but especially for me wouldn't be a deal breaker, they are big wheels and you get used to it. It's just different. Hope that helps
I have heard that the ride on 19" wheels is better too. I don't like the plasticky instrument panel and I like the idea of Nappa seats but will probably stick with the Momentum.
Current plan:
D5 Momentum on 19" alloys
Osmium Grey
Winter pack with HUD (though may drop the HUD as not willing to splash out another £1,270 for the auxiliary heater)
Xenium pack
Intellisafe Pro (only £1k as I'd need to spec BLIS otherwise)
Illumination pack
12.3" display
Apple Car Play
Electric passenger seat and cushion extenders (I'm 6'4" so I think I'll appreciate the cushion extensions)
Maybe the wood inlays
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 08:59   #7
Flashie08

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayheartdoc View Post
If you access the trip menu on the dashboard by using the button on the right of the steering wheel and deselect tourist mode, km/h will be replaced by mph on the dash.
Thanks for that! Very reassuring. I was surprised that the salesman said it was not changeable!
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 09:05   #8
Flashie08

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo for ever View Post
i would have thought coming from any JLR product,,,,any manufacturer would be a bonus esp volvo they are awesome in my opinion ,,,,
My Jag has been great. Had it from new 6 years and 100k mile ago and it has never gone wrong. It was one of the first in white and still turns heads. I just need a more upright position for my back and love technology which the XC90 has in spades
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 10:45   #9
jayheartdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashie08 View Post
Thanks for that! Very reassuring. I was surprised that the salesman said it was not changeable!
It's the art of pretending they know the answer to a question. What a ridiculous response though!
jayheartdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 12:01   #10
Flashie08

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayheartdoc View Post
It's the art of pretending they know the answer to a question. What a ridiculous response though!
It's a naive act though as I wouldn't have minded if he had said he'd find out and get back to me or even that he just doesn't know.
I've got the choice of 4 dealerships across 2 chains near me. Because of this statement, he's not getting my sale. Another one was struck off last week as he claimed they couldn't do an overnight test drive because "Volvo doesn't do this" - be honest to customers and just say the dealership don't want to do it and you may get my business!