Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Auto Transmission Fluid Change

Views : 68403

Replies : 99

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 26th, 2016, 16:48   #31
RM955I
Premier Member

What the Volvo procedure doesn't specify is, having gone through all the years twice for a minimum 2 seconds in each gear, with the engine running, does it matter what position the selector is in? I've always done it in Park as I don't fancy being under the car with it in Drive!
Old Nov 27th, 2016, 14:54   #32
Russ 6334

Can I assume that if you just take the level plug out and pour 7 litres in with a bucket below the level pump you would have done a complete change? I don't like the idea of doing 3 litres at a time your just mixing old oil with new,

Can I do that?

Thanks
Russ
Russ 6334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2016, 15:49   #33
I-S
Premier Member

No, because there are many different places that oil resides in an auto box. It is not like an engine where (almost) everything drains down to the bottom. In an autobox you have all of the channels in the valve block, you have the torque converter and the cooling loop - less than half of the oil resides in the sump. Your method would achieve the same as the 3 litre change, and throw away an additional 4 litres of new oil, leaving 4 litres of old oil in the gearbox anyway. The nearest to a "complete change" that you can achieve with the the "gibbons method" described in the first post. You will need to cycle through the gears for 2 seconds in each position in order to shift oil through the channels in the valve block.

However, it's fairly pointless, as RM955I has observed, because there are built-up deposits in the valve block etc that are dissolved by the detergents in new ATF over time. Thus your "complete change" will rapidly become "old oil" anyway as it washes all of this out.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2016, 19:36   #34
Moondust70

My expertise is with Chrysler auto boxes ......... the old Torqflite 727 and the much newer 545RFE ............. on these a sump dump every 25K and a filter change is imperative to keep the box trouble free for many 100's K miles.

Both methods have their limitations ............. a full flush is good to change most (not all) of the lube, however, the new lube needs to be flushed again after 10 -15k miles as the detergents will have had time to work on the crap. This method is often not used as the new oil starts to remove the sediment crap which in turn can be distributed around the box and cause other issues.

The sump dump is preferred on older boxes as you are removing a little bit of crud with every dump and it tends not to get distributed around the box.

Given the choice, the sump dump method is the way to go, unless the oil is 'burnt' .......... if that is the case, then the damage has already been done.

Last edited by cumbrianmale; Nov 28th, 2016 at 20:33. Reason: Delete quote
Moondust70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moondust70 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2016, 12:31   #35
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Having read the other thread as well as this one can I offer a perspective. I always sump dumped on my previous cars because I didn't know if the box could be completely drained without removing from the car and because done over the engine oil period it was not financially expensive on each occasion. The box was a ZF 4HP20. You have to know that the 4HP20 uses a rare and very expensive Esso developed fluid and cannot use any other!. However extra power being put through the box seemed to wreck the clutches and the box failed anyway. I'm not sure if a 100% exchange would have prevented that.

So my thoughts are these. If the maximum of detergent in the circulating fluid is a good thing and time to let it do its work is desirable, why not do a 100% fluid exchange to remove any circulating crud and then run the box for a reasonable time to allow the detergent to scour contaminated internal surfaces and then repeat the procedure at least once perhaps twice so that over a period of say 9 months the box will have had new fluid to clean it out and ultimately new fluid remaining in a spotlessly clean box to run it. The fluid used in these boxes is not excessively expensive. Well not compared with what I had to previously use!

Would that not satisfy both sides of the discussion?
Old Nov 28th, 2016, 12:35   #36
MartinK

Quick update from the original poster...

I'm now on 134,000 miles. I've done a sump dump every Autumn since writing the original posting, so I guess I've now changed around 98% of the fluid.

The last dump came out completely clean (none have been "dirty") - almost the same as the new stuff I put in...

the 'box is still lovely and smooth...

What's more - I'm now quite quick at this as I do the gearbox and engine oil in the same morning...Usually at the same time as swapping my summer tyres for my winter tyres...

Last edited by MartinK; Nov 28th, 2016 at 12:37.
MartinK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2016, 21:38   #37
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
Having read the other thread as well as this one can I offer a perspective. I always sump dumped on my previous cars because I didn't know if the box could be completely drained without removing from the car and because done over the engine oil period it was not financially expensive on each occasion. The box was a ZF 4HP20. You have to know that the 4HP20 uses a rare and very expensive Esso developed fluid and cannot use any other!. However extra power being put through the box seemed to wreck the clutches and the box failed anyway. I'm not sure if a 100% exchange would have prevented that.

So my thoughts are these. If the maximum of detergent in the circulating fluid is a good thing and time to let it do its work is desirable, why not do a 100% fluid exchange to remove any circulating crud and then run the box for a reasonable time to allow the detergent to scour contaminated internal surfaces and then repeat the procedure at least once perhaps twice so that over a period of say 9 months the box will have had new fluid to clean it out and ultimately new fluid remaining in a spotlessly clean box to run it. The fluid used in these boxes is not excessively expensive. Well not compared with what I had to previously use!

Would that not satisfy both sides of the discussion?

100% agree with you!

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2016, 15:19   #38
Russ 6334

Hi all

Can I query this method?

I took my level plug out on my Gen3 V70 and a litre came out? Now to me that's not right I would have expected either nothing or 1-200ml of oil.

After taking the drain plug put only 1.8litres came out.

Warm box and completely level, so where is the 3 litres? Cause mine only holds 1.8litres and would appear to be 1litre over filled!

Should I now drain 1 litre out so the level plug has set the sump correctly?

Russ
Old Dec 5th, 2016, 16:05   #39
Russ 6334

Also Volvo are no help they said the sump holds 3.5 to 4 litres!!
Old Dec 5th, 2016, 19:51   #40
Russ 6334

The more I think about it the more I wonder if you are setting the level with the engine running? Hence the litre would be circulating and thus the level would be ok but I would have thought this should be done cold and engine off.

Can any one shed some light on this?