Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil leak suspected rocker cover

Views : 1430

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 11th, 2020, 12:24   #1
V70greg

Default Oil leak suspected rocker cover

Hi,

I doing a service and the bottom of the engine was cover in oil. I did need to top it up about 1000 miles ago so not overly surprised. Having cleaned the engine (as best I could) I am fairly sure the oil is coming from the rocker cover/top cover seal.

I have tried to look at car part websites for a replacement but they seem to sell a gasket compound..... as I type sounds obvious but is this the solution?

As you may have noticed there are a few questions I have dropped just now on here, is there a pdf of a service manual available that would help a lot!!

Thanks Greg
V70greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 18:25   #2
palwing

My XC70 D5 was very wet at the bottom. Traced it back up to the rocker cover. It was coming from the back left as you look at the engine from the front. (see pics)

I put in Lucas engine oil stop leak and it cured the problem. It was not an immediate fix, but the leak slowly got less over the next 500-1000 miles.

Some may not agree with this “fix”. However, when you price in the cost of replacing the seal, £10 for a bottle of stop leak on a 15 year old car works for me.

Good luck.

palwing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to palwing For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 19:31   #3
V70greg

Smile

Hi Palwing,

Thanks seems these can leak then (never had a leaking rocker cover before). My Volvo is a bit younger about 5 yrs, but with 160k miles so I assume similar mileage.

Unfortunately I am in the school of thought that only oil should go inside the engine. I will source the gasket or compound if that is what is needed?

I would definitely not criticise anyone for doing this though because outside of the engine there are many, many corners I am willing to cut which many would heavily criticise me for (first thing that comes to mind is securing a cv boot with a cable tie and duct tape, when the original clip snapped, got me through 2 MOTs )

It is good to know though that in an emergency this compound does work, I have always believed them to be a gimmick.

Greg
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 19:57   #4
palwing

No probs V70greg. By the way, my XC70 has done 114,000 miles. I also have a 2007 S60 D5 with 194,000 miles and that doesn’t leak! Makes you wonder huh?

As we used to say in one of my previous lives, “it will do a trip” when it came to acceptable “work around” solutions.

Last edited by palwing; Apr 11th, 2020 at 19:59.
Old Apr 12th, 2020, 17:12   #5
Tatsfield
Premier Member

A general warning about sealants used in oil areas. It is possible for some unsuitable sealants to leach some of their components into the oil which when it burns in the cylinders, as some of it must, produces combustion products that have an adverse effect on catalysers. Before using a sealant in one of these areas you should investigate whether it is approved for sealing joints which are in contact with engine oil. Admittedly I have not sourced this from Volvo sources but on previous cars I have encountered such warnings from the car manufacturers and have seen that some generic sealants have engine oil compatibility statements on them.
Old Apr 14th, 2020, 11:20   #6
Model flyer
Master Member

Not only leaching chemicals but any excess sealant can break away and break up into tiny hard pieces that will eventually block or partially block filters and oil ways. I regularly found this when rebuilding engines albeit a few years ago. The sealants that are applied when engines are assembled in the factory are high quality and are applied to clean surfaces where they adhere properly. After market sealants have to deal with oil soaked parts and often don't adhere . Better to replace the gasket / seal rather than use a selant.

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Model flyer For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2020, 11:30   #7
V70greg

Thanks Model Flyer,

I was hoping to find out if there was a gasket (also my preferred option) but all I could find from online car part traders was a sealant. I assume it is a Volvo main dealer only part... better warn my bank I am about to buy a part from the main dealer.

I am thinking though I have just changed my oil, it was way over due (An oversight on my behalf did about 21k on the previous oil.... I am

1. hoping no serious damage done (I doubt it as it has been serviced regularly up to this point).

2. wondering as the oil is already very thin 0-20W so the old oil is even thinner. Thus possibly the oil change may solve the leak.

I will report back when I have had a chance to cover 1000 miles see thee results (I was once told that a steady leak is not a bad thing for the engine, because if you keep on top of it the engine is getting an almost permeant oil change )
The Following User Says Thank You to V70greg For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2020, 11:32   #8
palwing

Thanks. I will keep you informed if and when my £1500 car goes bang. I will be the guinea pig of my cost benefit analysis resulting in my £10 fix.

The other consequence of my leak was it was getting a bit close to the cam belt, being at the back left of the rocker cover. It luckily ran around the cover, phew! Could have been a bit catastrophic.

That’s if the NHS don’t finish me off first of course. They are trying their best.

Last edited by palwing; Apr 14th, 2020 at 13:07.
Old Apr 14th, 2020, 13:12   #9
V70greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by palwing View Post
Thanks. I will keep you informed if and when my £1500 car goes bang. I will be the guinea pig of my cost benefit analysis resulting in my £10 fix.

The other consequence of my leak was it was getting a bit close to the cam belt, being at the back left of the rocker cover. It luckily ran around the cover, phew! Could have been a bit catastrophic.

That’s if the NHS don’t finish me off first of course. They are trying their best.
Hopefully, yours will be fine as I suspect the vast majority are!!

At least we don't have the Supreme leader Trump in charge

20 million unemployed all that health insurance gone... seems to me some form of country wide basic health care provided by the government could be of use right now, not that the US has the highest death rate or anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to V70greg For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2020, 13:43   #10
Aptref

I seem to have a similar problem. The maindealer are quoting £950 for the fix!
I was wondering how you got on with yours, and any recommendations?
Aptref is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aptref For This Useful Post: