Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A couple of questions for those with Front Park Assist

Views : 3308

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 8th, 2013, 15:46   #21
mauser1905

Default FPA with or without camera?

Thanks for the inputs.

The FPA being talked in this thread is only acoustic delivery and not inclusive of camera as for the RPA+camera.

Is FPA with camera available? or perhaps only front side camera?

regards.
mauser1905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2014, 02:14   #22
aslan
From far away

Default Limited function

I found out something interesting with regards to the front park assist function.

As described in this post, the FPA will always be on - by default. In my situation when at a traffic light or crawling in the traffic it becomes very very annoying as over here we have plenty of people weaving their motorcycles in between cars or waiting in front of us at the lights. So the FPA will be beeping very often unless I deactivate it.

I've discovered in VIDA a 'limited function' mode for the FPA. What it does is it disable the FPA by default and it will be activated when 'R' is selected or when the park assist button is pressed at the console. I've enable this mode through VIDA and been using it for a few months and I'm happy with this 'limited function' mode. I find myself rarely needing to press the park assist button now except when I'm parking nose first in a tight place or negotiating through an obstacle.

Hope this helps anyone with the FPA!
B230E 740 1989 - sold
aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2014, 09:53   #23
Ducklakeview
239,450 miles & counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
I found out something interesting with regards to the front park assist function.

As described in this post, the FPA will always be on - by default. In my situation when at a traffic light or crawling in the traffic it becomes very very annoying as over here we have plenty of people weaving their motorcycles in between cars or waiting in front of us at the lights. So the FPA will be beeping very often unless I deactivate it.

I've discovered in VIDA a 'limited function' mode for the FPA. What it does is it disable the FPA by default and it will be activated when 'R' is selected or when the park assist button is pressed at the console. I've enable this mode through VIDA and been using it for a few months and I'm happy with this 'limited function' mode. I find myself rarely needing to press the park assist button now except when I'm parking nose first in a tight place or negotiating through an obstacle.

Hope this helps anyone with the FPA!
TBH, that's how it's worked on every car I've had apart from the Volvo, poi into reverse and all sensors are activated, rear beeps from the rear, front from the front speakers. Once something like 10mph is exceeded they both turn off until reverse is selected again.

Mike
Ducklakeview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2014, 21:20   #24
dave morton

Are there no after market front sets available that are equally as good as Volvos own?
dave morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2014, 02:15   #25
aslan
From far away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducklakeview View Post
TBH, that's how it's worked on every car I've had apart from the Volvo
Mike
Ah ... thanks for that interesting info. Didn't know that but then again I drive non-volvos very little!
B230E 740 1989 - sold
aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2014, 09:21   #26
AB-UK
Premier Member

"Once something like 10mph is exceeded they both turn off until reverse is selected again."

This is not the case for my front sensors.
They remain active until switched off.
Test: By stopping too close to a vehicle in front at the lights.

I must point out that they also beep when a motorcycle passes close by AND some buses can also make it beep.

I suspect it has something to do with poor electrical shielding on motorbikes - it can't be the noise can it?

Possibly the same reason on some buses, but it may also come from unseen fumes from buses which the sensor detects.

In either case, I experience seemingly random beeps when some bikes or buses are close by.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote