Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DPF Failure

Views : 577

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2019, 10:56   #1
TonyM
VOC Member

Default DPF Failure

My 63 reg V40 D2 R Design has just failed the MOT test due to emissions.

The dealer did an enforced regeneration of the DPF but it did not help and they diagnosed a failed DPF.

Apparently the DPF is not covered by the Volvo extended warranty because it is apparently considered to be a serviceable item and can fail through wear and tear (the car has done 47,000 miles). It is going to cost £950 for a new one and that is at a discounted rate.

Just a bit shocked as I thought the DPF on these cars looked after itself. One of the reasons I changed from a C30 D2 to this car was because changing the DPF was part of one of the major services on the C30 and would have cost around £1000 to do.

Although the car has relatively low mileage that has included regular long runs as I'm aware these are recommended to keep the DPF cleaned out.

Rant over but I thought I would give a heads up to other V40 owners who maybe aren't expecting this.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyM For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2019, 11:15   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
My 63 reg V40 D2 R Design has just failed the MOT test due to emissions.

The dealer did an enforced regeneration of the DPF but it did not help and they diagnosed a failed DPF.

Apparently the DPF is not covered by the Volvo extended warranty because it is apparently considered to be a serviceable item and can fail through wear and tear (the car has done 47,000 miles). It is going to cost £950 for a new one and that is at a discounted rate.

Just a bit shocked as I thought the DPF on these cars looked after itself. One of the reasons I changed from a C30 D2 to this car was because changing the DPF was part of one of the major services on the C30 and would have cost around £1000 to do.

Although the car has relatively low mileage that has included regular long runs as I'm aware these are recommended to keep the DPF cleaned out.

Rant over but I thought I would give a heads up to other V40 owners who maybe aren't expecting this.
I would fight the warranty , the DPF is NOT a serviceable component like they used to be before 2010 ... They are designed to last the life of the car like every other component .
Old Sep 30th, 2019, 11:36   #3
TonyM
VOC Member

Thank you that's useful advice.

I'll chase it up.
Old Sep 30th, 2019, 11:52   #4
TonyM
VOC Member

I've contacted the Warranty people and they say the policy wording specifically excludes Exhaust systems and DPFs and they don't know anything about DPFs deigned to last the lifetime of the car.

They suggested I get the dealer to contact Volvo to see whether they are prepared to contribute to the cost.
Old Sep 30th, 2019, 11:55   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I've contacted the Warranty people and they say the policy wording specifically excludes Exhaust systems and DPFs and they don't know anything about DPFs deigned to last the lifetime of the car.

They suggested I get the dealer to contact Volvo to see whether they are prepared to contribute to the cost.
well if that is in the small print it is not much help ... but there is certainly no maintenance applicable to the DPF in other words you can not be held responsible for it's failure .
Old Sep 30th, 2019, 12:38   #6
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:

DPF's definitely are not covered, however most if not all manufacturers point to a life of between 100 - 120,000 miles before ash build-up renders the filter useless. I would suggest that in your case and with no other factors to consider it should not have failed at your very modest mileage.
Old Sep 30th, 2019, 14:08   #7
TonyM
VOC Member

Thank you for all the comments.

When I collect the car tomorrow I'll have a word with the dealers - they were going to contact Volvo before they remembered I had the extended warranty so they might have done that - they are quite helpful..