Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Boomy vibration / noise from Diesel

Views : 3367

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 15th, 2007, 20:48   #11
JimBob

Not yet fixed, I work offshore and the wife has the car while I'm out here. Ill book it in for when I am on my next rotation home in a week or so.

Doesnt seem to bother the wife much and she won't speak to the garage unless it stops moving / explodes (mans job etc)

I would be kind of surprised if its a worn bush or mounting as the car is only 6 months old. Still as you all rightly say - its back to the dealer.

Will post the outcome ina few weeks time when I know the score. Do you think they'll change it for a V8 as compensation

Ta!

JimBob
JimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 11:01   #12
NeilThompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBob View Post
On reflection you are right, i will get it booked in when I get back home (away on business).

JimBob
Hi, did you make any progress on getting this sorted out? I'm a newbie XC90 owner and have a similar problem, at around 2500rpm, and although not loud enough to shake my fillings the engine noise does seem more intrusive than I expected.
NeilThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 15:37   #13
kentishdriver

Thought I would drag up an old thread for comment. I have a new XC90, still less than 1000 miles on the clock. I am getting irritating engine vibration thru' the steering wheel either side of 2000 rpm on light to medium acceleration. Not excessive, but can be sufficient to run up yours arms and make face vibrate, and spoils an otherwise very good car. Particularly as it is the rev range and acceleration used for most normal driving. Not sure whether it's a problem sufficient to take to dealer, or simply a characteristic of the car, or even whether it will settle down. Anyone else, particularly you new batch of owners, suffering similar vibration.

Thanks
kentishdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 17:01   #14
AyrshireXC90

Not had this problem - XC90 SE Lux MY2010.
The only problem I have (not investigated yet as crash repairs not fully completed!) is that the rear end tends to shimmy sideways over some potholes.
AyrshireXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 07:48   #15
RobP

I have an XC60 2.4D with 1.5k on the clock and am experiencing what I can best describe as a vibration/rattle from the engine bay, which coincidentally is in the same sort of 1.8k-2.0k rev range under acceleration. It's not particularly loud but it is definitely noticeable and not what you would find acceptable. I'll be having them look in to it when I take it in for the 3k mile quality assurance check (I think that's what they call it). Other than that the car is great so hopefully they can sort this out.
RobP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 21:50   #16
surf otter
Surf Otter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentishdriver View Post
Thought I would drag up an old thread for comment. I have a new XC90, still less than 1000 miles on the clock. I am getting irritating engine vibration thru' the steering wheel either side of 2000 rpm on light to medium acceleration. Not excessive, but can be sufficient to run up yours arms and make face vibrate, and spoils an otherwise very good car. Particularly as it is the rev range and acceleration used for most normal driving. Anyone else, particularly you new batch of owners, suffering similar vibration.

Thanks
I've had my car (D5 Active) for just over a week which has included (unusually for me) two long journeys resulting in over 600 miles being clocked up. I'm impressed with how quiet and vibration free the engine is, even under load and especially as it's new and not run in. It can sound a bit "grunty" (in a reassuring kind of way) when it's working hard at just over 2000 revs but the sound is quite suppressed and it's not at all intrusive or unpleasant.

There is absolutely no vibration through the steering wheel at any speed/revs (not been above 80mph).

On the "over-run" with the foot of the gas, it is completely silent.

I wonder if my impressions are down to expectations and the fact that my last car was a 1.9 Fiat Multipla Diesel - now that was a bit noisy and vibrated a bit after 6 years of hard use...
surf otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 13:37   #17
CT LIN

i got MY09 XC90 D5, i got a whistling noise when 1500-1600 rpm in decelerating. The dealer still not found what's wrong with my xc90? But i found there is a loose clamp in intake air inlet hose from the turbo charger. IS there anyone got the same noise like me?
CT LIN is offline   Reply With Quote