Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

xc90 2004 87k miles - Camshaft Failure, HELP!!!

Views : 3473

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 11th, 2011, 17:31   #1
bugsterbuns

Default xc90 2004 87k miles - Camshaft Failure, HELP!!!

i am a bit suprised my 2004 xc90 with full volvo service history at 87K just suffered a camshaft failure. shocking thing is Volvo dealer says although timing belt due to be changed at 92 k there is no comeback. any one able to shed some light on this or had similar. looking to replace engine now but firms i have spoken to are a bit shocked that Volvo UK will not offer some sort of good will
bugsterbuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 18:21   #2
Bill Edmondson
AV Guru

Cripes!! mine is the same year and mileage and history, will take it steadier than I already do.

Though I do have a sticker under my bonnet saying it was changed at 56k.
Bill Edmondson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 21:41   #3
moncman

Though I'm not an expert on this age of XC90 I would have thought a camshaft failure is not a routine wear and tear event and is normally mitigated by good preventative maintainence.

You have full Volvo service history and from what you say the cambelt was not due for replacement on either time or mileage.

You have therefore done as much as can be expected and shown loyalty to the brand by having it dealer serviced.

In light of that I would be amazed if customer care did not offer a goodwill package.

This is not disimilar to the failing AWD system which Volvo were offering good loyalty packages to sort if a book full of service stamps was presented.
moncman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 23:51   #4
greenfingers

Sorry to hear this.

Was the damage caused by the timing belt breaking, and were there any telltale sounds before the failure? If not due to belt/tensioner failure, the probable cause would be oil starvation or overheating.

The camshaft and bearings could be replaced, but if the belt has slipped or broken, that is likely to have caused more pain to valves and pistons.
greenfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 12:27   #5
bugsterbuns

Unhappy Cambelt Failure Update

Just thought will keep you all updated

Volvo Dealer has informed me that i initially have to pay £450 to have the engine top half stripped to investigate the repair.

Secondly although i have stayed loyal to the brand and it has had a full service history from Volvo and "because" i bought the car privately from an individual who had also had a routine service with volvo i am to pay £4000 + vat to get the engine rebuilt.

Apparently Volvo UK although they state that the cambelt needs changing at 92K this is only a guide and it is down to the individual customer to make an assessment of this "without any mechanical knowledge" as to whether the service is required before the states mileage.
i had mentioned to another dealer local to me that on purchasing the vehicle i wanted to change the belt as a precaution. he was horrified and said he felt rather insulted as Volvos were built to last and i will be throwing £600 down the loo. If only i had gone with my gut instinct then.

Anyway waiting for the engineers report although i have had a quote from www.reconditioned-engines.co.uk for a full engines fitted and warrantied for 60,000 miles for £2495

has anyone used them?

way i see it is Volvo after £4000+vat only offer a 12 month warranty and who is to say that the bottom end of the engine might play up due to the newer top end bits

Comments welcome.

p.s car was serviced at 82K as well, just amazed they did not pick it up?

have to try and put a call into Volvo UK
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 13:11   #6
bugsterbuns

I am yet to get an update from the dealer as to the cause but at the minute his stance is the belt just snapped

i was parking at the time and drive it very gently as i average about 43mpg on a daily commute mainly motorway at 60mph

apparently top half of engine needs replacing as valves etc have been destroyed

just called volvo UK and they were not that helpful said they will get back in touch but far as they were conrned if it still was routinely serviced as stated "tough" waiting on their call as the guy i dealt with said to honestly note hope for any discount

Volvo for life?

brand loyalty?

hmmmmm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfingers View Post
Sorry to hear this.

Was the damage caused by the timing belt breaking, and were there any telltale sounds before the failure? If not due to belt/tensioner failure, the probable cause would be oil starvation or overheating.

The camshaft and bearings could be replaced, but if the belt has slipped or broken, that is likely to have caused more pain to valves and pistons.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 13:26   #7
moncman

As I said before much of the attitude from your dealer seems reminicent of the AWD thread...see link

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=66098

Have a look there for lessons learned on how to deal with Volvo UK. You shouldn't have to fight for justice but if your car has a full set of on-time stamps in the book and is not due a cambelt change and it simply snaps at low revs then some kind of goodwill should be forthcoming.

I can't imagine such an attitude from Lexus/Toyota/Subaru etc etc.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 13:44   #8
moncman

I hate to hear of an unsuspecting punter getting humped by the system despite putting faith in the overpriced dealer network for "piece of mind" so I did a bit more digging. Have a look at this thread:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...hlight=cambelt

Clan might have an angle on this as he seems knowledgeable in such areas. Sounds like 2004/5 models might have had lesser quality Ford parts fitted.
The Following User Says Thank You to moncman For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 15:02   #9
bugsterbuns

Unhappy

Moncman
thanks for reply. Just got a call from Volvo UK and in short they offered me 10% off the estimate of £4000 they stated that the dealer who has the vehicle should offer the same which reduces the bill to £3200!!!!!!

no goodwill there in my humble opinion, not knocking the brand but had an engine seize in an A8 that had a full dealer service history but the last one and Audi Uk replaced the engine and slapped on warranty so long as i paid for labout which was £500.

why Volvo! Why? :-(

simply gutted - to think it just had the 82,000 mile service surely they much have done a visual inspection of the components

how can an independent sell an engine for £2495 fitted with 60,000 miles warrantied and Volvo give you the option to replace top half for £4000 and only give you 12,000 miles warranty

simply stumped as you pay the extortionate prices in the event that should something go wrong your loyalty to the brand will be brought to light

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncman View Post
I hate to hear of an unsuspecting punter getting humped by the system despite putting faith in the overpriced dealer network for "piece of mind" so I did a bit more digging. Have a look at this thread:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...hlight=cambelt

Clan might have an angle on this as he seems knowledgeable in such areas. Sounds like 2004/5 models might have had lesser quality Ford parts fitted.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 15:48   #10
bugsterbuns

Angry

Just had Volvo UK on the phone again to plead my case. Mentioned that we were looking to purchase an XC60 (for school runs) and C30 (for me to nip back and forth to train station)

result? sir please pay the £4000 bill and on every purchase we will give you 50% of your repair bill but you will have to run all three cars, seriously. Volvos are for Life!!!!!!

mentioned if i has to service all three at 6,000 and not 12,000 ---------SILENCE!

i simply said that does 12,000 mile routine service mean it is the maximum mileage to get it maintained. He simple answered at 87,000 miles, sir your volvo is at 90% of its life!!! what? Volvos only expect their cars to do 100,000

had a ford mondeo that did 35,000 a year and handed it back after 5 years and apart fron the DPF filter because i was not driving it hard enough it was good as gold and i was the third owner who owned it at 60,000 miles

87K and 90% of life , YIKES!!!! might have been wise to stick to audis esp Q7 as my neighbours Q7 has done 168,000 and has a longlife service circa 18,000 to 20,000 miles and they Audi Uk paid 40% of the cost for replacing the gearbox as it followed its service regime to the dot!!! fact the oil grade is exactly the same if not higher that that recommended by Audi Uk

Oh Volvo!!!!!
:-(without the customers forking out their hard earned cash in maintenance your business model will fail

time to bite the bullet and see what the main dealer comes up with! But this is one expensive lesson

oh and listen will keep you all updated with lack of progress made or not in my case

regards
Bugster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsterbuns View Post
i am a bit suprised my 2004 xc90 with full volvo service history at 87K just suffered a camshaft failure. shocking thing is Volvo dealer says although timing belt due to be changed at 92 k there is no comeback. any one able to shed some light on this or had similar. looking to replace engine now but firms i have spoken to are a bit shocked that Volvo UK will not offer some sort of good will

Last edited by bugsterbuns; Jul 13th, 2011 at 15:54. Reason: typo