Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Parking brake light on when brake off!

Views : 5819

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 31st, 2012, 14:19   #1
Golfather

Default Parking brake light on when brake off!

I have an annoying problem with the parking brake. When released the P light intermittently comes on and off on the dash. This often coincides with the audible pinging (the same as when seat belt is not fastened).

If i touch the foot brake pedal or move it slightly the noise stops.

Is it a switch or sensor in the pedal that's causing this?

Thanks
Golfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 15:34   #2
Blue693

I have the same on my s60..... Only appeared after Volvo had replaced the handbrake shoes/pads......it is probably a sticky sensor, but it is really annoying!
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 15:50   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfather View Post
I have an annoying problem with the parking brake. When released the P light intermittently comes on and off on the dash. This often coincides with the audible pinging (the same as when seat belt is not fastened).

If i touch the foot brake pedal or move it slightly the noise stops.

Is it a switch or sensor in the pedal that's causing this?

Thanks
there is a parking brake light wire on the parking brake pedal assembly which is kind of long and can get caught up in the mechanism , pull back the carpet or take it out and have a look ...
Old Oct 2nd, 2014, 22:36   #4
crazypierre

Default XC90 Access to the parking brake switch

Hi
Does anyone know where this switch is so I can access it and see why the warning light/pinging are staying on when the handbrake is released?
I think it's behind the carpet panel in the driver's footwell.

How do you remove the carpet panel? I tried to remove it but it seems stuck fast and I don't want to brake the clips that hold it in.

Thanks
Pete
crazypierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 18:21   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazypierre View Post
Hi
Does anyone know where this switch is so I can access it and see why the warning light/pinging are staying on when the handbrake is released?
I think it's behind the carpet panel in the driver's footwell.

How do you remove the carpet panel? I tried to remove it but it seems stuck fast and I don't want to brake the clips that hold it in.

Thanks
Pete
you will need to get the carpet piece right out , the switch is on the parking brake pedal assembly .
You need to remove the 4 drivers seat bolts and lift the seat up and back a bit , remove the amplifier , and the console side trim carpet piece by the pedal , and the sill trim and the trim around the bonnet pull handle .
The carpet is one dished piece with 6 inches of foam under it ,you might like to push the steering column seal down the other side of the carpet before pulling the carpet out .. That rubber shroud is difficult to get back in ... Be prepared to find a rusty parking brake lever assembly ..
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 08:05   #6
crazypierre

Hi Clan
Thanks for that.
Are your instructions for a right hand drive car or left hand drive? Mine is RHD.
Pete
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 08:52   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazypierre View Post
Hi Clan
Thanks for that.
Are your instructions for a right hand drive car or left hand drive? Mine is RHD.
Pete
yes RHD , i havent seen a LHD , where do they put the parking brake pedal ?
Old Jan 8th, 2021, 23:02   #8
elmagiicz1

Fudge it's super annoying, I've got the same issue yesterday with my xc90 2006. It keeps chiming as I'm driving. though strange as I was on "D", I tried soccer kicking the parking brake the light comes off momentarily then comes back on but the chiming stops until I park the car again.

I've even adjusted the cable and it still has there same issue. The braking shoes seem to be fine.

is there any suggestions that may solve this issue?

Last edited by elmagiicz1; Jan 8th, 2021 at 23:07.
elmagiicz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2021, 08:38   #9
crazypierre

Hi friend in Sydney
So I resolved this a few years ago on my 2010 XC90 (right hand drive) and it's not come back.
I sprayed some WD40 at the switch on the footbrake pedal which must have been getting stuck thus causing the alarm and warning light to stay on.
There is a carpet panel clipped to the tunnel to the left of the footbrake pedal. If you pull it from the edges the hidden clips will release, but be careful as some may break off. Remove the carpet panel or pull it back enough towards the front enabling you to spray the WD40 at the switch.
Get a can of WD40 and (from memory) I couldn't see thecswitch but just sprayed WD40 in the general area where I thought the switch would be.
To my surprise it worked and has been ok since.
Let me know if it works for you.
Best wishes
Peter
Old Jan 10th, 2021, 10:22   #10
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmagiicz1 View Post
Fudge it's super annoying, I've got the same issue yesterday with my xc90 2006. It keeps chiming as I'm driving. though strange as I was on "D", I tried soccer kicking the parking brake the light comes off momentarily then comes back on but the chiming stops until I park the car again.

I've even adjusted the cable and it still has there same issue. The braking shoes seem to be fine.

is there any suggestions that may solve this issue?
On the Mk1 XC90 there is a really simple switch on the foot pedal mechanism to control the warning light and chime. Unusually for Volvo it’s a very basic, Ford looking part which is prone to any tension on the wire affecting its operation or dirt getting on the contact area as it is not enclosed. There is just one wire to it, it shorts to ground. The plus side to the above is 9 times out of 10 you can get it working properly again with cleaning and adjustment.

If you remove the centre console side (just clips on) you can sometimes peel the carpet back enough to see what’s going on but if you’ve got large hands or low tolerance of awkward tasks then best to remove the seat, amplifier and carpet as described above - it’s not nearly as difficult or as long a task to do that as it sounds.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Jan 10th, 2021 at 10:29.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote