Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Boost Gauge - Remap

Views : 4101

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:43   #11
don kalmar union
Trader

Default Shark Remap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeyman View Post
My XC was already remapped when I purchased it, produces a little under 200bhp I think. I plan to have it remapped again, by someone I trust. The reason being I don't think the remap that's on the car at the moment is a good quality one, hesitates a little too much, possibly some cheap generic file used instead of one specifically tuned to my car on a rolling road. The file will be removed this weekend and compared to an original(standard) file to see exactly what changes have been made to see if things can be improved.

However, before all this is done I want to measure the amount of boost being produced when under load. My friend who will be remapping the car gave me cheap digital boost gauge to install so I could compare before and after the remap. I've been told to expect about 1.5 bar of boost as more than this can burst the intercooler, has anyone experienced this? Pushing boost close to 2 bar early on is possible and helps with hesitation but is risky. Anyone have any experience with all this, your input would be appreciated.

Now that you have heard from the previous owner that the car has a map from my respected competitor Shark Performance in Mansfield you would be well advised to contact Ben or Miko at Shark and get them to reassure you that you will be absolutely wasting your money having some amateur, albeit a friend do a better job. It is possible that the hesitation noted is nothing to do with the software but a fault elsewhere that you may get cheaply remedied. 2 bar boost however is just a tad too much...... you may note that the car showed a max 1.69bar boost on a dyno run at Shark.

The previous owner had one of my Swedish written MTE maps prior to replacing it with the Shark stuff. He may very well have those old MTE files that you could install and try them out for size........otherwise I can email them to you......

Regards, Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com

Last edited by don kalmar union; May 22nd, 2013 at 08:51.
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:48   #12
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post
Now that you have heard from the previous owner that the car has a map from my respected competitor Shark Performance in Mansfield you would be well advised to contact Ben or Miko at Shark and get them to reassure you that you will be absolutely wasting your money having some amateur, albeit a friend do a better job. It is possible that the hesitation noted is nothing to do with the software but a fault elsewhere that you may get cheaply remedied. 2 bar boost however is just a tad too much......

The previous owner had one of my Swedish written MTE maps prior to replacing it with the Shark stuff. He may very well have those old MTE files that you could install and try them out for size........otherwise I can email them to you......

Regards, Don.
Don he has not got my old car.
mike
Old May 22nd, 2013, 10:00   #13
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
i sold that car 3 weeks ago now have the 185 bhp.
the Map was done by Shark performance at Mansfield dyno plot.
mike
So it was running a little over 1.6 bar of boost, about 0.1 bar more than standard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post
Now that you have heard from the previous owner that the car has a map from my respected competitor Shark Performance in Mansfield you would be well advised to contact Ben or Miko at Shark and get them to reassure you that you will be absolutely wasting your money having some amateur, albeit a friend do a better job. It is possible that the hesitation noted is nothing to do with the software but a fault elsewhere that you may get cheaply remedied. 2 bar boost however is just a tad too much...... you may note that the car showed a max 1.69bar boost on a dyno run at Shark.

Regards, Don.
As Mike has just said, I don't have his old car but thanks for the heads up about boost levels and where I can get a quality remap if my friend(and he's no amateur) decides not to do mine(for free).

Last edited by Shadeyman; May 22nd, 2013 at 10:06.
Shadeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 10:04   #14
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

yes
The Following User Says Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2013, 10:11   #15
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

just for a different view point.Mte and Shark side by side
mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dyno 03 Shark and Mte.jpg (191.5 KB, 45 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2013, 10:12   #16
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
just for a different view point.Mte and Shark side by side
mike
So the thin lines are MTE ?
Old May 22nd, 2013, 10:50   #17
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeyman View Post
So the thin lines are MTE ?
yes
Old May 22nd, 2013, 12:33   #18
Shadeyman
VOC Member

I think I prefer the MTE map(Don's), power comes on a little later which I'm not sure about but it doesn't drop off until well after 4500rpm which I definitely like as I do a lot of motorway driving. The extra power higher in the rev range will help with overtaking etc.

Don, would you mind emailing those files to me please, just PM'd you my email address.

Thanks guys, you've been very helpful.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 18:14   #19
Shadeyman
VOC Member

I had a couple of hours spare today so I decided to take a look at mounting the gauge.

Main problem was to make sure there is enough space between the back of the gauge and the SatNav speaker so I decided to lower the speaker by about 25mm. Was quite simple to do, just had to drill out the mounting holes for the speaker to accept the screws and bolts from below.

As digital gauges are not as deep as the mechanical gauges I now have plenty of room to mount the gauge without fouling the speaker.

Just need a second hand grill now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-05-22-258.jpg (203.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-05-22-257.jpg (155.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-05-22-251.jpg (220.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-05-22-254.jpg (174.7 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-05-22-256.jpg (147.0 KB, 55 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Shadeyman For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2013, 21:39   #20
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

are you going to get glare on the face in that position.
mike