Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear Diff Noise

Views : 3890

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 9th, 2015, 22:06   #1
skn

Default Rear Diff Noise

I have a 2005 XC90 2.4D 163 which I have owned from new. It has now done 100k miles and recently started to make a droning sound around 40mph which is wheel speed related. I assumed it was wheel bearings so first changed the rears then the fronts. This made no difference. Next I ran the car with all four wheels off the ground and established that firstly the AWD drive is working well and secondly the rear diff is noisy. I diagnosed this by using a snooker cue as a stethoscope:-)

I can't see any sign of leakage so expect to find some fluid in there. I have ordered some redline GL5 75-90W so will try this first before either stripping or replacing the diff.

Has anyone else had this problem and does a fluid change help?

Thanks in advance for any help, Simon
skn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 19:03   #2
Rooster
Speed freak

It is unusual to see a diff fail on an AWD car,

I've only ever seen a couple, one on a XC90 and one on an XC60 but they were on newer cars than yours,
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 19:07   #3
Ducklakeview
239,450 miles & counting!

Surely the diff will be silent, unless it is under load and being driven?

Mike
Ducklakeview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 13:39   #4
skn

Thanks for replies. The diff is definitely not silent whilst running at 40mph off the ground:-) I suspect the noise is a worn pinion gear so thats meshing/ rotating whether under load or not.

My plan of action is to change the oil and then retest. If that doesn't work will remove diff and strip it and check for wear. As Volvo doesn't sell any internal parts for the diff I will have to try and source a good 2nd hand one to use for either donor parts or complete swap.

Just got a price from Volvo for new diff £2.4k!
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 18:52   #5
Ducklakeview
239,450 miles & counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skn View Post
Thanks for replies. The diff is definitely not silent whilst running at 40mph off the ground:-) I suspect the noise is a worn pinion gear so thats meshing/ rotating whether under load or not.

My plan of action is to change the oil and then retest. If that doesn't work will remove diff and strip it and check for wear. As Volvo doesn't sell any internal parts for the diff I will have to try and source a good 2nd hand one to use for either donor parts or complete swap.

I take it you've had the car on a two post lift with all 4 wheels running free? Otherwise the rotating input into the diff stops at the haldex coupling.

Mike
Ducklakeview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 20:51   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

YOu will probably find just one of the differential carrier bearings is rough , worth trying to find a new bearing .. one of them is fairly easy to come by but if i remember right the other isnt marked so you may have to search around .. the bearing pre-load and pinion mesh have to be checked and adjusted after though ,
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 13:01   #7
skn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducklakeview View Post
I take it you've had the car on a two post lift with all 4 wheels running free? Otherwise the rotating input into the diff stops at the haldex coupling.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes all four wheels off ground, running at 40mph:-)
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 13:03   #8
skn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
YOu will probably find just one of the differential carrier bearings is rough , worth trying to find a new bearing .. one of them is fairly easy to come by but if i remember right the other isnt marked so you may have to search around .. the bearing pre-load and pinion mesh have to be checked and adjusted after though ,
Thanks Clan, will give it a go and report back.
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 07:35   #9
skn

Clan,

Don't suppose you have any spec for the bearing pre-load, backlash etc please?
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 18:30   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Clan,

Don't suppose you have any spec for the bearing pre-load, backlash etc please?
volvo don't publish any figures but it should comply with any standard final drive kind of figures i would think .