Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can you convert the inbuilt telephone to Bluetooth

Views : 5066

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 11th, 2014, 16:22   #1
JAWPW

Default Can you convert the inbuilt telephone to Bluetooth

Does anyone know if the inbuilt telephone system/SIM card holder can be converted into a Bluetooth system?

I'm not meaning a third party one like a Parrot.

2005 Executive model.

Thanks
JAWPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2014, 22:22   #2
xco
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Jawpw

Why would you want to?
Go to asda and get pay as you go sim card. Stick £5.00 on it and leave it in car.

Is EE so covers all country on 3g (I've just come back to devon from a holiday with the beast in the highlands so I know it works extremely well in places that my mobile which is 02 doesn't).

8p per minute is cheap enough and as long as you remember to use it once in 6 months it stays valid.

Saves soddin about with bluetooth and slipping phones and cables or taking your simcard out of your mobile every time and keeps you hands free and legal as your phone buttons are on steering wheel.
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xco For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 03:57   #3
Shadeyman
VOC Member

I just call divert all my calls to the car phone. If I haven't answered the call after 8 rings it automatically transfers the call to the car. I just ignore any incoming calls to my mobile and wait for it to transfer to the car.
Shadeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shadeyman For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 09:13   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by xco View Post
Jawpw

Why would you want to?
Go to asda and get pay as you go sim card. Stick £5.00 on it and leave it in car.

Is EE so covers all country on 3g (I've just come back to devon from a holiday with the beast in the highlands so I know it works extremely well in places that my mobile which is 02 doesn't).

8p per minute is cheap enough and as long as you remember to use it once in 6 months it stays valid.

Saves soddin about with bluetooth and slipping phones and cables or taking your simcard out of your mobile every time and keeps you hands free and legal as your phone buttons are on steering wheel.
You would definitely want to if you have 400+ contacts in your phone....

One of my friends has just converted his '08-plate XC70 from the in-car kit to Bluetooth. I'm not aware of all of the details but basically he bought the Bluetooth phone module from a Volvo dealer in America on e-bay who gave him a lot of help. He fitted it himself, removing the in-car phone, and then paid a indie dealer half a day to attempt to download and install the correct software - it worked. He did contact a several main dealers and all basically refused to get invovled. But it is possible, on some cars at least...

HOWEVER, the sound quality on the Bluetooth system is nowhere near as good as the built in phone was, so he's not so sure it was worth the effort...

I would suggest a after market Bluetooth kit is the way to go - you can still use the in-car phone if you wish and you can link to Bluetooth for contacts etc.

These days we take Bluetooth for granted but it is a recent invention, in 2003 (the year XC90 was launched) it started to appear on phones and only really in 2005 was it sufficiently featured and reliable for hands free kits etc. with contacts sharing.

Last edited by Tannaton; Oct 12th, 2014 at 09:20.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 03:36   #5
xco
Premier Member

Thumbs up

I've got nearly as many contacts on my phone and just transfered them (copied them to the new sim card).
It seems to me the expense your mate went to was a waste of money.
If I want to answer I press enter if not I dont.
The other way you could go is a jabra earset.
I had that in the early days of bluetooth but the charge only lasted about 2 hours so I didnt bother anymore.
I understand since the andriod handsets have arrived the jabra headsets have a lot longer usability.
Depends on whether you like a lump of plastic hanging out of your ear giving your head a dose of rays or whether you'd rather press a button on your steering wheel.

Last of all there's the Pama 111 plug and go blutooth fm transmitter which plugs into your cigarette lighter socket which is very good if you can be bothered faffin about with bendy gadgets and cables.
2nd simcard is best I.M.H.O. and tell your contacts if they cant contact you on your mobile try your carphone after all thats what its for.

I agree the bluetooth sound is not as good as the built in phone so why
bother
Wherever you go............There you are!!!

Last edited by xco; Oct 14th, 2014 at 03:43.
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 10:53   #6
AndySaxton

!BwR8(Dw!2k~$(KGrHqUOKkMEwRdYjWBIBMIPHfHw8g~~_1_345_1.JPG

I bought one of these from eBay for £90, installed it myself (quite an easy task...the hardest thing was finding the connector...it was taped up high), and it works great.

So now I have a separate SIM card on the in-built handsfree and a bluetooth connection for my iPhone. Kept them on different mobile companies to benefit from signal differences across the country and I can make and receive call from both.

I wouldn't bother gaffing around trying to make the in-built one do the job of the other.
AndySaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndySaxton For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 13:31   #7
JAWPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySaxton View Post
Attachment 79821

I bought one of these from eBay for £90, installed it myself (quite an easy task...the hardest thing was finding the connector...it was taped up high), and it works great.

So now I have a separate SIM card on the in-built handsfree and a bluetooth connection for my iPhone.
Where does the sound come out?
Is the sound quality good?

I'm using a Jabra Freeway at the moment and I'm not very impressed with it.

jabra-freeway-250x300.jpg
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 14:54   #8
AndySaxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWPW View Post
Where does the sound come out?
Is the sound quality good?

I'm using a Jabra Freeway at the moment and I'm not very impressed with it.

Attachment 79822
It comes out the main speakers. As its a Volvo unit it just plugs straight in. The loom has the fixings already built in. It's plug and play.

It mutes the radio when a call comes in and you control the volume up and down with the arrows. The sound quality is excellent.

The only issue is you are supposed to fit a module (box of electronics) in the rear to allow the reverse parking sensors to keep working when you are on the phone, but I never fitted one when I did it as I couldn't find a second hAnd one and they are mega-bucks new. I just have to remember when reversing into my parking space at work and am on the phone that the sensors aren't going to kick in!!
The Following User Says Thank You to AndySaxton For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 16:09   #9
JAWPW

That sounds like it's the option to go for.

What did you search for on eBay?
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 17:31   #10
AndySaxton

I just kept searching for "Volvo xc90 handsfree" and one finally popped up.

Here's my original post about it:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=187801

The links in the post don't work, but if you find the same handsfree unit I can email you the fitting instructions.