Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

no torque

Views : 548

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 7th, 2024, 16:58   #1
barkster1971
VOC Member

Default no torque

Bit of a weird one, where I am in Lincolnshire is flat as a pancake. When I went to see my folks I crossed the Pennines on the M62 and the car would not accelerate going up hill. I had my foot planted and it was reducing in speed going up hill. The revs were going up slowly but not the speed.
Again coming home it was really struggling going up hill.
Then last night I had a bad flat spot about 55mph for about 5 seconds this was on a flat A17.
It accelerates fine at lower speeds . The clutch seems fine.
We changed the glow plugs and put the little black rod back on for the swirl flap actuuator
No codes have come up. Nothing on the dash. It's a 2008 V70 diesel 2.4.
No smoke from the exhaust. Doing about 43-44mpg.
Carl.
Old Jan 7th, 2024, 19:38   #2
wilbydoughboy

If you have temperature sensors in the exhaust it could be one of these giving you problems.
Old Jan 7th, 2024, 22:48   #3
yostumpy

Check intercooler hoses for small hole or split.
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 10:52   #4
bananarama

If it's not the clutch, then how could the revs go up but not the speed?
bananarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 12:34   #5
apersson850
Premier Member

I thought the same. Since the clutch is mentioned it's probably not an automatic, which otherwise could have released the lockup.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 14:53   #6
barkster1971
VOC Member

Default clutch

If it was the clutch then surely it would slip at all speeds and conditions. it accelerates fine ( without slipping) at lower speeds. i'll double check though just to be sure. It's a manual !
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 15:42   #7
bananarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkster1971 View Post
If it was the clutch then surely it would slip at all speeds and conditions. it accelerates fine ( without slipping) at lower speeds. i'll double check though just to be sure. It's a manual !
Could you be a conservative driver like me? In which case you're probably not exceeding the (current) limit of the clutch. It's only when you're driving at speed (higher wind resistance) or going up an incline that you'll exceed the limit.

Basically, if the revs go up and speed doesn't then your clutch is slipping OR you're wheel spinning
bananarama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananarama For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2024, 12:02   #8
apersson850
Premier Member

For a fully functional clutch, you'll never make it slip by just pressing the accelerator. If it does, it's worn out.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2024, 14:32   #9
Stu B
Master Member

It’s the clutch slipping under certain loads. I remember years ago swapping the engine in a Mk2 Golf GTI from a 1.8 16v to a 2.0 16v, bolting it all back together and it driving fine generally. Loads more torque and a decent horsepower increase.

Cue a trip to the Lake District a few weeks later, heading up the M62 uphill past Preston and up towards Lancaster I went for an overtake uphill in top gear. No problem with the extra torque… the revs shot up but the car slowed down! It was the clutch that couldn’t handle the torque at around 4,000 rpm in a high gear uphill.

The weekend after the car was in bits on my driveway again whilst I fitted a new clutch. No DMF on those cars though so only about £30 in parts and some knuckle skin. It was great after that and did thousands of miles, trips to the Nurburgring and all sorts. Great car.

Anyway, I digress… good luck with it. Try pulling away from a standstill in 3rd gear and see if it slips, that is usually a good test.

Last edited by Stu B; Jan 14th, 2024 at 14:34.
Stu B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stu B For This Useful Post: